2010-2011 Programs by Discipline | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2010-2011 Programs by Discipline

Layfan

Record Breaker
I feared as much but was hoping she'd have the nerve to be different. Well, hopefully she or her designers will realize that she looks a lot better in a longer skirt.

Thank you Spun! I too have always wished Caro would ditch the too-short skirts and embrace her inner elegance.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:unsure:Yep. Caro's costume situation has confused me for some time. Her costumes are obviously of the "spare no expense" variety..but the same problems have persisted for so long..one starts to wonder if it's intentional..if her camp thinks the judges give secret marks for "whoopsy !". Do they and her designers all fail to realize that athletes have to move in these things ?

When I was growing up , my mother made costumes for dancers. I was the munchkin hanging around taking it all in. At every fitting there were lots of tests to see if the dancer could move without being hampered ,or having parts of their anatomy exposed that decorum decreed should be kept covered. Some stuff is just common sense. Dancers and skaters aren't stick figures. You know from the outset that even if you want a skirt to look the same length all the way around , it actually has to be longer at the back . (Everybody has glutes... and dancers and skaters have more than most.) I can't believe that they can't see this , or that Carolina herself wouldn't put her foot down .Tons of video exists showing her practically mooning the audience for the whole program.

And how did Caro come to have the nipple slip-up ? :confused:They must have known that it was a danger , if she tried some of her program's positions in fittings, or had any run-throughs in costume before competition , but the extra row of trim wasn't added until the very end of the season.

I'm hoping that with the flamenco theme , we'll see an improvement with the skirt at least , for the SP.

Last edited:

taaak

Rinkside
elene G: Short Program : Cell Block Tango (from "Chicago" soundtrack)
Free Skating : Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber

Nadine

Record Breaker
Tada, Kevin will be skating to the following: http://apps.pjkwong.com/blog/?e=53774&d=09/05/2010&s=Catching Up With....Kevin Reynolds

I think it's a good idea to go for something more classical in this new quadrennial, as opposed to his "Led Zeppelin" FS last season, which was more to get him noticed in the Olympic season imho (and it worked for me). :)

And I look forward with great anticipation to see if Kevin will make history by landing two quads in the SP, and a possible 4R in the FS! *clapping*

But as far as "Jump King" goes, this guy will always be it for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywkMDHkeOZs (he too has landed 4R & also 4L in practices, and even tried one in competition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yEvVzq_uyA&feature=related). Not to mention he has landed over 100+ quads in competition, thus far. :)^) Truly a master of the quad. :)

Kevin, I absolutely LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE your SP & FS this season! Wow, what a transformation in one season alone. I honestly didn't expect this to happen so soon.

BRAVO, KEVIN REYNOLDS, BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *clapping insanely, lol*

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ryan Bradley is skating his SP in Brian Boitano's Skating Spectacular, to be aired Dec. 26. It sounds like Ryan will be at Nationals, so I have added his programs to the Men's thread:

Ryan Bradley USA
SP Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
LP Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory soundtrack

samba

On the Ice
Ryan Bradley is skating his SP in Brian Boitano's Skating Spectacular, to be aired Dec. 26. It sounds like Ryan will be at Nationals, so I have added his programs to the Men's thread:

Ryan Bradley USA
SP Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
LP Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory soundtrack

He didn't have to do Sectionals?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Rachael Flatt's USFS/Icenetwork bio was updated today and she will debut a new short program at Nationals to "East of Eden" by Lee Holdridge. Someone else can start a discussion thread if they want...

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Rachael Flatt's USFS/Icenetwork bio was updated today and she will debut a new short program at Nationals to "East of Eden" by Lee Holdridge. Someone else can start a discussion thread if they want...

Oh dear, I'm afraid this isn't going to help her.

Layfan

Record Breaker
^ Really?? I wonder why? We'll see how it works for her. I'm keeping an open mind especially as I didn't particularly like jazzy music for both her programs. Too repetitive and it doesn't suit her as much as her team thinks.

Olderbear

Rinkside
Oh Oh....that's my all time favorite program of Michelle's. I don't think this is a good idea. I'll try to keep an open mind also, but somehow I'm very pessimistic. Just like I can't see any man trying "Les Patineurs."

I personally don't believe in anybody's "owning" a piece of music. But let's see what happens. After all, it seems like everybody in the world (incl. MK) has tried "Bolero."

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm guessing her hairstyle at Nationals will have also changed again.

I liked her SP this year (just that "fanning" movement at the end of the program could have been changed, since it's repetitive from last year). It's the LP that was no good.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yes, of course what immediately comes to mind is Michelle Kwan's wonderful SP and even more wonderful pro program and the wonderful edge work. I shall have to try to put it out of my mind when I watch Rachael.

There is so much music out there I wonder why they chose that one?

Oh, dear...I am also deeply devoted to Kwan's version (no surprise). To both of them, in fact: the 1995 one and the 2002 one. I'll have to open my mind to Rachael's interpretation.

Is Nichol the choreographer? If so, I'm astonished that a choreographer with so much originality in terms of music choice until, say, 2002, has repeated herself so much in recent years. I mean, for Kwan she used music by an Azerbaijani composer (I think "Taj Mahal" in 1997), then "Lyra Angelica" for 1998, and finally that amazing sequence of pieces for Michelle's long programs up through 2001 ("Red Violin," "Lament d'Ariane," and "Black Swan" using Dvorak and Villa-Lobos). Then suddenly it was "Carmen" and "Scheherezade" everywhere you looked, and repeats of "Scheherezade" at that. I love Nichol and always will, but I wish she'd find her music mojo again.

Kwan did a nice skate to The Feeling Begins and the Concerto de Aranjuez - neither by Nichol. All what followed had to be tweaked (sic). She then began her descent.

Good luck to Rachael with East of Eden (also my favorite of Kwan).