2014 Cup of China Ladies Free Skate 11/08 | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Ladies Free Skate 11/08

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
LOL so now it's CoC's fault that Yulia did not show up? Please don't go THAT low:rolleye:

I never said that. /BTW, I wouldn't even call myself a Julia fan, in case you suspect fangirling./ IMO everyone involved holds a part of the blame.

MiRé

Match Penalty
I never said that. /BTW, I wouldn't even call myself a Julia fan, in case you suspect fangirling./ IMO everyone involved holds a part of the blame.
Well, that's what you basically meant.... and no, no one holds the part of the blame besides Yulia and her team.

Amei

Record Breaker
LOL so now it's CoC's fault that Yulia did not show up? Please don't go THAT low:rolleye:

I don't think Surimi was saying Yulia's not at fault - but that it seems there could be improvements to the system, which seems to be: if you mis-read your schedule, you are going to get called as the ceremony is starting that you are missing it.

Now I switched to the new model. They felt like slippers to me, so unsual. On the first day I couldn't even understand what I was skating on. I got used to it, thank God, but still I don't feel 3F-3T and 3Lz-3T combinations in these boots, they are too soft. It's still scary to do it on full speed as I did before. So in short, there are lots of problems, it's very unsettling.

So this could be why they have changed her jump layouts because she's not comfortable with her new boots yet - and this could also explain her issues with the FS, after she messed up the one jump it threw her off and scared her.

Amei

Record Breaker
What has the fact that she is from a single mother family got to do with this?

Because her mother doesn't work, her father has never been in the picture and the money that Yulia is the only money that they get? I mean that's a little harsh to basically say 'you get no money for 3 months'. Not sure if the OP knew that when they posted that comment.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Because her mother doesn't work, her father has never been in the picture and the money that Yulia is the only money that they get? I mean that's a little harsh to basically say 'you get no money for 3 months'. Not sure if the OP knew that when they posted that comment.

I wonder why her mother doesn't work.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually...I'm pretty sure Yulia's mom is considered to be on "Team Yulia". Eteri said that she convinced the Russian fed of this so that Eteri wouldn't have to be responsible the entire trip. So I assume she is employed by the Rusian fed.

FWIW...it is said that Yulia's mom worked two jobs as Yulia was quite young and known to be a very hard worker. They sold everything they owned and moved to Moscow. I assume Yulia is home schooled and I'm sure her mom oversees that. A lot of people I know at my rink have stay at home mothers who do this sort of thing. You'll see them in the lobbies preparing lesson plans. Yulia is reaching an age where she won't need her mom so much but from 10-16...it makes sense to send someone with her. I believe Elena Radionova has her grandmother at each comp.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
According to Eteri:
We all, athletes and coaches, came back to the hotel by bus. But not all the skaters were reminded about the medal ceremony. Liza Tuktamysheva and Maxim Kovtun have been turned back and told: «Where are you going? Go back» But no one said anything to me. I went to my room to sleep. Five minutes before the beginning of the ceremony, the organizers called.

So - she saw the officials grabbing Liza and Maxim and turning them around and it didn't occur to her to ask why that might be?

I think Yulia has been badly let down by the disorganisation of her team - but at 16 she is more than old enough to take responsibility for her schedule, too. None of the other Russian skaters had this issue.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So - she saw the officials grabbing Liza and Maxim and turning them around and it didn't occur to her to ask why that might be?

I think Yulia has been badly let down by the disorganisation of her team - but at 16 she is more than old enough to take responsibility for her schedule, too. None of the other Russian skaters had this issue.

It's all been established and Yulia apologized and took all responsibility. She is facing all applicable fines.

I do agree that she was let down here a bit by her team and I also agree that she should be old enough to take this responsibility upon herself. I think she may have been let down by those around her in that they maybe over protected her and she is learning the hard way....and in front of her entire world....a life lesson about self reliance. Lets see if it takes.

Alba

Record Breaker

No she didn't see them. She is telling here what happened, something she new later.
She said, ALL the athletes went back to the hotel by bus. Liza and Maxim included, but as Kogan explained Liza and Maxim were called by their Fed people - they tried to do the same thing with Yulia and Eteri - so they took the bus and went back.

Anyway, it's obvious that Yulia and her team were disorganized in the end, and it's nobody's fault but theirs.
What's done is done. She paid the penalty and apologized.
It was an accident which has happened before with athletes in other sports, and I read that it happened to an american skater as well once at US nationals.
Hopefully she will move on and learn.

So this could be why they have changed her jump layouts because she's not comfortable with her new boots yet - and this could also explain her issues with the FS, after she messed up the one jump it threw her off and scared her.

Yes. I was afraid before the competition about this. Obviously her SP has been well prepared and in time, so she feels more confident there and had no problems.
Interesting the Eurosport ITA commentators though. They were saying the same thing before her short program.
They were curious to see how was she doing with her new boots because it takes time to adjust.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I don't get why we have to look at her explanation under a microscope, what's happened has happened, we can't change the past, Yulia has apologized and accepted her punishment, it's over now

tulosai

Record Breaker
Actually...I'm pretty sure Yulia's mom is considered to be on "Team Yulia". Eteri said that she convinced the Russian fed of this so that Eteri wouldn't have to be responsible the entire trip. So I assume she is employed by the Rusian fed.

FWIW...it is said that Yulia's mom worked two jobs as Yulia was quite young and known to be a very hard worker. They sold everything they owned and moved to Moscow. I assume Yulia is home schooled and I'm sure her mom oversees that. A lot of people I know at my rink have stay at home mothers who do this sort of thing. You'll see them in the lobbies preparing lesson plans. Yulia is reaching an age where she won't need her mom so much but from 10-16...it makes sense to send someone with her. I believe Elena Radionova has her grandmother at each comp.

No, she isn't entirely home schooled, or at least she still wasn't about a year and a half ago. There was a really memorable (at least to me) interview about how after the GP season she had to go back to school and she felt really excluded and like no one wanted to talk to her/like she had nothing to talk to them about. I will try to find tomorrow.

peg

Medalist
There was a really memorable (at least to me) interview about how after the GP season she had to go back to school and she felt really excluded and like no one wanted to talk to her/like she had nothing to talk to them about.
How sad :cry:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I wouldn't feel bad for her. I think that would make her sad :(

Besides...she's done very well for herself and will have plenty of time to still make friends and have a more normal life...maybe a college life :rock:

peg

Medalist
I still feel sad. She's a 16 year-old girl, and being excluded at that age is painful.

Of course, that doesn't negate the successes she's had.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
That's very interesting. I wonder if the ISU will suspend her for life or just for the remainder of this season.

Max, on the other hand… :p

And yet…it wasn't, after all.

If they ban Julia they should ban Han and Hanyu for endangering liability issues with COC. You can really tell the biases on this site. Some people are a little more rational thankfully. I was jaded and disappointed in Julia but now that more facts are coming clear I am not so sure she is all that much of a villain.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
If they ban Julia they should ban Han and Hanyu for endangering liability issues with COC. You can really tell the biases on this site. Some people are a little more rational thankfully. I was jaded and disappointed in Julia but now that more facts are coming clear I am not so sure she is all that much of a villain.

What about COC part which does not provide a doctor and appropriate medical personnel at their international event. And the first help came after 50seconds and that is not even medical personnel. Does SA and SC have appropriate doctor and medical personnels at their event?

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

Endangering liability issues by accidentally injuring one another? :eek: For choosing to skate when there were no regulations that allow others present to prohibit them from doing so?

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I don't get why we have to look at her explanation under a microscope, what's happened has happened, we can't change the past, Yulia has apologized and accepted her punishment, it's over now

I think this situation got so heated because of the lacklustre excuse given at first for not showing up, I'm assuming after this interview and
the apology people are fine, I can tell you as a fan of Yulia i'm rooting for her, But as a fan of figure skating it seriously pissed me off that
this could've went unnoticed, But now i feel for her, What happened to her reminds me of getting phone calls from the army when i overslept :eek: