2015 Four Continents Men's Free Skate Feb 13 Seoul Time | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Men's Free Skate Feb 13 Seoul Time

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Dear Mrs P! About the top 6 -- I don't understand for example: the Japanese UNO made lot of mistake and finished before Jason, why?

Shoma had a huge lead (like 14 points) coming into the FS. Also while there were errors, they were not super detrimental to his overall TES score.

aero

On the Ice
Dear Mrs P! About the top 6 -- I don't understand for example: the Japanese UNO made lot of mistake and finished before Jason, why?

Shoma had a 13 point lead over Jason after the SP. And even with the fall, Shoma had a 6 point lead in base value over Jason to offset it.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Great competition :clap:
- Denis really surprised me the most. His program is so good and he sold it even better, I didn't enjoy his SP but he left me spechless with his free. :points:.
- Joshua's interpretation is incredible, very surprised by him since nationals.
- Han Yan's 3A :love:. I really like his long program so I'm very happy to see him skate so well.
I can't wait for worlds :popcorn:

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Joshua has very nice lines, but Schindlers list is a terrible choice for him. The music is nice, but there's no flow.
As for Ten, I believe he has a shot at the world title and he wasn't inflated here.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Joshua has very nice lines, but Schindlers list is a terrible choice for him. The music is nice, but there's no flow.
As for Ten, I believe he has a shot at the world title and he wasn't inflated here.
I don't understand the skating, only the ballet and dance. If in the skating a competitor who does not move his neck and shoulders can win the gold medal... not my cuo of thea because only pure sport without art.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't understand the skating, only the ballet and dance. If in the skating a competitor who does not move his neck and shoulders can win the gold medal... not my cuo of thea because only pure sport without art.
I'm hardly Denis Ten's fan, but you not liking him doesn't mean he is "pure sport without art." It just means you don't like him.

I would have Uno behind Jason in the free, but that doesn't matter to the overall placement.

peg

Medalist
I'm finally all caught up :)

I guess it's a good thing I went to bed seeing as the feeds were problematic or non-existent for the last groups anyway.

I'm so thrilled for Josh! I simply adore him and so happy he won silver.

Congratulations to Denis and Han too. Wonderful skating.

I'm sad for Nam though. Both of his skates were less than what he's capable of. It almost seemed like the unsuccessful quad in the short rattled him for the long too. But knowing him, he'll be back to working super hard and Worlds will bring better skates from him.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
I'm hardly Denis Ten's fan, but you not liking him doesn't mean he is "pure sport without art." It just means you don't like him.

I would have Uno behind Jason in the free, but that doesn't matter to the overall placement.

Excuse me. With my bad English wanted to say: not my cup of thea. "I don't like him" ??? noooo. He is an eccelent skater and jumper. I think (only me!): for a gold medal will need more art azt the Worlds.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Excuse me. With my bad English wanted to say: not my cup of thea. "I don't like him" ??? noooo. He is an eccelent skater and jumper. I think (only me!): for a gold medal will need more art azt the Worlds.
The point is, you might not find him artistic (and until today's LP, I would kinda agree with you), but other people do think he's artistic. They--and the judges--don't like him simply for jumps and skating skills.

Bumdid

Record Breaker

I think this is the part where the quote "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" really holds. I personally love him and find him to be artistic. But different strokes for different people, I guess.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes, Josh and Adam should have gained enough ranking points to get into the final two warm-up groups for Worlds. Jason was already there, this is good news for team USA. :)

So the top 12, i.e the final two groups, I think will be (based on rough calculations)
1. Yuzuru Hanyu
2. Denis Ten
3. Sergei Voronov
4. Javier Fernandez
5. Takahito Mura
6. Maxim Kovutn
7. Michal Brezina
8. Han Yan
9. Jason Brown
10. Joshua Farris
11. Adam Rippon
12. Peter Liebers

Now the snag is if there's a certain number of skaters, the last two groups could be 5+6 = 11...so Peter Liebers may or may not end up in the final two groups.

The World Standings were updated today to include Four Continents results, as far as I can tell.

If I am not mistaken, Josh did not make the top twelve among the Worlds entries. :eek:hwell:

1 4702 Yuzuru HANYU
2 3860 Denis TEN
3 3839 Sergei VORONOV
4 3806 Javier FERNANDEZ
7 3499 Maxim KOVTUN
8 3472 Takahito MURA

9 3081 Michal BREZINA
11 2746 Jason BROWN
14 2617 Han YAN
17 2273 Adam RIPPON
18 2259 Peter LIEBERS
19 2236 Misha GE

then
22 2139 Takahiko KOZUKA
23 2113 Joshua FARRIS
24 2003 Nam NGUYEN ...

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsmen.htm

Last edited:

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
The point is, you might not find him artistic (and until today's LP, I would kinda agree with you), but other people do think he's artistic. They--and the judges--don't like him simply for jumps and skating skills.
de gustibus :)
I understand that the people find him very artistic
I find it disturbing that his arms, neck, chest seem rigid
but nice jumps and stunts

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I adore Jason, but today Joshua was better, big congrats for Josh. His Lp has 2 years, really? Soon needs changes it.Jason's LP is new and he used the last LP (Riverdance) only for one season. It's very hard change LP often.

Jason used his Prince SP for two seasons. It's common that when a skater feels they haven't maximized the potential of a program, they will use it again. Joshua clearly felt he hadn't got the most out of his SL last season (and I would agree), so he refined it, perfected it, and brought us all to tears with it this year.

My only concern now is: how on earth does he follow Give Me Love and Schindler's List next year? :laugh:

WHAT?!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Jason used his Prince SP for two seasons. It's common that when a skater feels they haven't maximized the potential of a program, they will use it again. Joshua clearly felt he hadn't got the most out of his SL last season (and I would agree), so he refined it, perfected it, and brought us all to tears with it this year.

My only concern now is: how on earth does he follow Give Me Love and Schindler's List next year? :laugh:!

I'm hoping he does something upbeat and dance-y for at least the short. Otherwise he is running the risk of being the Alan Alda of skating. YMMV of course. And I say that with :love:

balletanddancefan

On the Ice

My only concern now is: how on earth does he follow Give Me Love and Schindler's List next year? :laugh:

WHAT?!
I believed that after two seasons must change sp and lp.
Schindler lists is a highly sensitive issue. I think LP Joshua is very decent arrangement

yyyskate

Record Breaker
@balletandDanceFan you has some point, in figure skating, the upper body tends to be very squared, for stability, perhaps that's the impression you has for Denis' skating. compare to Jason(who is more relaxed), it is true. but helped Denis to do really fast and tight rotation quad. I think Denis' form is quite classic balletic.
in this LP, I see lots of whole body skating, especially in step sequence and choreo. Denis perhaps can interpret certain gesture clearer with better extension (so that it will fell more like western lyrical modern dance style),
but I also, wondering, is that the feel he wanted for this program. this is an oriental fusion program. there is a word in Chinese classical dance and martial art called "寸劲" which means, at the very final split second of a movement contract your muscle to cause a short and explosive force. but the gesture itself maybe small and not visually masculine/massive.
as you see in this program, Denis is soft mostly but punctuated with sharp finish of moves. not much exaggeration but effective.
Hard for me to explain this clear, kinda a fundamental to Oriental movement.

Last edited: