2016-17 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ice Dance

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
How much notice did she get then? I took her interview to say that she has known for a while, but when Sergei first told her that he wanted a change & had decided to work with Betina, it came out of the blue. Do you know different? Back when people were first saying she was injured and would have to quit, maybe a couple of months ago, I couldn't understand it because she was still posting pictures at the rink and seeming very happy. I hope she can find someone, whatever the truth about her & Mozgov is. I guess the other question is where she trains now while she looks for a new partner, because if her version of events is even a little true, I doubt she'd want to stay at Medvedkovo.

And the other split is someone other than Monko/Khaliavin?

Well, to be honest I don't know much, but I've heard the whole different story from the other skater (can't name any names). I'm not very comfortable to share the information, sorry. I just hope more information will come up in media, because the reasons I've heard about are interesting to say the least.

Russian Ice Dance at its best!

Edit: As for Ksenia, she's still undecided of what to do. Kirill is waiting for her decision, becuse I've heard he's against the idea to skate with new parter. But the Fed is pushing the idea.

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
Betina's first words: http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta..._Mozgov_predlozhil_vstat_v_paru_ja_soglasilas

It was collegial decision by coaching team (Kustarova&Alexeeva), Sergei and her. When she was asked about the reasons, she answered that she can't answer that question.

She also thanked Yuri Vlasenko and mentioned that she and Sergei are close friends from early years in skating.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knowing how much WeakAnkles LOVES Betina Popova and how much he loved Yanovskaya/Mozgov, I bet he will be ecstatic at the news!

Does Betina and Sergei have a chance for GP assignment next season?
Another question: do you guys think if Anna will be too tall for Yuri Vlasenko?

Last edited:

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I might a minority here, but...

I am not really mad at the split. IMO Anna was missing something, charisma of a diva for ice dance.
As much as I want Betina to improve her posture, I cannot take my eyes of her during the programs. P/V's "50 shades of grey" was so sensual and surprisingly good.

I always thought Anna was a bit bland in comparison to Sergei in their partnership. She was was not as expressive and very cautious. This is the feeling I was getting both live and via computer screen.

Only time will tell, but Popova/Mozgov partnership can be very interesting.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Betina's first words: http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta..._Mozgov_predlozhil_vstat_v_paru_ja_soglasilas

It was collegial decision by coaching team (Kustarova&Alexeeva), Sergei and her. When she was asked about the reasons, she answered that she can't answer that question.

She also thanked Yuri Vlasenko and mentioned that she and Sergei are close friends from early years in skating.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knowing how much WeakAnkles LOVES Betina Popova and how much he loved Yanovskaya/Mozgov, I bet he will be ecstatic at the news!

Does Betina and Sergei have a chance for GP assignment next season?
Another question: do you guys think if Anna will be too tall for Yuri Vlasenko?

Well you know Snow kiddo, love takes MANY FORMS!

I absolutely loved B/S's Anna Karenina FD and I lurved their "Yes, we are Birds! Birds I Tell You! See How Birdlike We Are In All Our Movements And Expressions! Why I'm Sure You Are Laughing So Hysterically Because You Love Our Birdyness!" FD.

Guess which type of love this news is for me?

:laugh2:

Snow63

Record Breaker
Well you know Snow kiddo, love takes MANY FORMS!

I absolutely loved B/S's Anna Karenina FD and I lurved their "Yes, we are Birds! Birds I Tell You! See How Birdlike We Are In All Our Movements And Expressions! Why I'm Sure You Are Laughing So Hysterically Because You Love Our Birdyness!" FD.

Guess which type of love this news is for me?

:laugh2:

The 'birds' one type of love, I'm sure! :hap10: I wonder what Kustarova will do to Popova to tone her down a bit? She will look crazy insane next to Sergei who's always calm and collected :)

uhh

Medalist
Edit: As for Ksenia, she's still undecided of what to do. Kirill is waiting for her decision, becuse I've heard he's against the idea to skate with new parter. But the Fed is pushing the idea.

He's way beyond waiting for her decision, he has been having a serious longterm tryout.

P/M have no chance of a GP assignment unless they get a host pick and we've already discussed how limited those will be.

Snow63

Record Breaker
He's way beyond waiting for her decision, he has been having a serious longterm tryout.

P/M have no chance of a GP assignment unless they get a host pick and we've already discussed how limited those will be.

Do you mean Sara Hurtado or someone else?

Edit: poeple say that Betina will be 7th partner of Mozgov from the age of 14...:eek:

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The 'birds' one type of love, I'm sure! :hap10: I wonder what Kustarova will do to Popova to tone her down a bit? She will look crazy insane next to Sergei who's always calm and collected :)

I don't think the new partnership is gonna work out so well, Popova doesn't seem like a good match for Mosgov, maybe they can make it work but I'm not holding my breath. With all these splits in Russian ice dance it will be really interesting to see what happens heading into 2018 and 2022. I like Shpilevaya and Smirnov a lot but they are most likely gonna stay junior for another year or two.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'd love to know what the reaction to this is on the Russian skating boards. Any Russian willing to let us know? :)

Snow63

Record Breaker
I'd love to know what the reaction to this is on the Russian skating boards. Any Russian willing to let us know? :)

Well, people like Popova much less than Yanovskaya and they don't hesitate to point that out. Many people blame the fed and Mozgov for their stupidity and lack of common sense. A lot of speculation of what's really happened, some crazy theories, why Kustarova let that happen and all this stuff. Let's say most people's not happy. :confused2:

And also, as you probably now 'Mozgov' translates from Russian to English as 'Brains'. So people call him 'No Brains' or 'Without Brains' now.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well, people like Popova much less than Yanovskaya and they don't hesitate to point that out. Many people blame the fed and Mozgov for their stupidity and lack of common sense. A lot of speculiation of what's really happened, some crazy theories, why Kustarova let that happen and all this stuff. Let's say most people's not happy. :confused2:

Crazy theories aside (well actually I love crazy theories, they're so :popcorn:). it's nice to see that our reactions are all pretty similar!

ETA: No Brains?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Marta25

Medalist
I find the role Kustarova/Alexeeva played in this very strange. They are usually not known as coaches who try to break up their teams out of the blue. Most of their past and present students skated together for years. I like Anna as a skater and hope she can find someone tall enough.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Crazy theories aside (well actually I love crazy theories, they're so :popcorn:). it's nice to see that our reactions are all pretty similar!

ETA: No Brains?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Yeah. Most people shocked. Although the split rumor started around the time Euros ended.
I wonder what's the role of the Fed in this. People can't just split because they don't like each other/their coaches etc., it has to be approved or they have no shot for National Team spot.

Snow63

Record Breaker
I find the role Kustarova/Alexeeva played in this very strange. They are usually not known as coaches who try to break up their teams out of the blue. Most of their past and present students skated together for years. I like Anna as a skater and hope she can find someone tall enough.

It's hard to believe they didn't let Anna now in advance at least, right? Because that's what she's saying.

noidont

Final Flight
What are the crazy theories?

P/M would be a trainwreck but certainly entertaining...I don't care. I love Betina.

Marta25

Medalist
It's hard to believe they didn't let Anna now in advance at least, right? Because that's what she's saying.

Maybe it was similar to I/K`s break-up, that Anna heard the rumors, but didn`t want to believe it until Sergei told her? :scratch2:
I`m just really sad that they broke up, I loved them together. I`m curious what the Fed is thinking about this? I don`t believe that even more break-ups are going to solve the problems in Russian ice dance.

uhh

Medalist
Perhaps someone needs to point out to the Federation & all the coaches that only one World Championship since the advent of the IJS has been won by a team that were not together as juniors.

katha

On the Ice
The rumours I've seen float around (or has Yanowskaya said something directly? I don't speak Russian), and obviously I don't know if any of it is true, is that Anna wanted to change coaches. So if that's true it might be in Kustarova's best interest to try to keep a student, split the partnership and provide him with a new partner who is willing to stay in their coaching camp. With I/Z probably leaving, it's become quite empty there...

All just speculation that I'm repeating, I don't know if any of it is true...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Perhaps someone needs to point out to the Federation & all the coaches that only one World Championship since the advent of the IJS has been won by a team that were not together as juniors.

Actually more than that. Both Denkova & Staviyski and Navka & Kostamarov started skating together as seniors,at least if I believe their bios.

http://tracings.net/denk-stav.html. They won 2006 and 2007.
http://tracings.net/navk-kost.html. 2005 was IJS,

uhh

Medalist
Actually more than that. Both Denkova & Staviyski and Navka & Kostamarov started skating together as seniors,at least if I believe their bios.

http://tracings.net/denk-stav.html. They won 2006 and 2007.
http://tracings.net/navk-kost.html. 2005 was IJS,

Ah, I was just going by the dates they started skating together to estimate what level they were competing at! I guess my broader point still stands - D/S had ten years in a partnership before they won the world title. All these teams chopping and changing aged 19/20/21 just won't have the longevity to match their competitors. And the other thing to consider is that the world champions & medallists are no longer in their late 20s/early 30s as we saw under 6.0 & very early IJS - now it's all early to mid 20s as the sport becomes more athletic & demanding. If you are changing partner aged 21 you aren't giving yourself much time to settle with the new partner.