2017 GPF Free Dance | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Free Dance

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I absolutely hate how Scott Moir tries to come up with a concrete reason why they lost. Excuses and never acknowledgment to the winning team. I’ve always felt he lacked sportsmanship.

You apparently missed that Scott made a gracious reference to P/C at the GPF post-FD press conference.

He said, "... it was an honor to share the ice [with P/C] and have a heated competition and that’s what we came back for ..."

blackey

On the Ice
I absolutely hate how Scott Moir tries to come up with a concrete reason why they lost. Excuses and never acknowledgment to the winning team. I’ve always felt he lacked sportsmanship.

lmao I'm honestly so tired of all this nonsense accuse toward v/m. Scott Moir is the person who never shut up about applauding their rivals when his rivals never does it back.

Bcash

Final Flight
Regarding Scott's "over-acting" in interpretation, I've always felt slightly put off by how he chooses to project this macho man persona in many of their programs. (Including moments in this FD where he throws her arms quite forcefully away from him.)

It's part of the reason I preferred Charlie White, whose skating is masculine and dynamic but who felt no need to put on the macho man persona.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Regarding Scott's "over-acting" in interpretation, I've always felt slightly put off by how he chooses to project this macho man persona in many of their programs. (Including moments in this FD where he throws her arms quite forcefully away from him.)

It's part of the reason I preferred Charlie White, whose skating is masculine and dynamic but who felt no need to put on the macho man persona.

I said earlier this season that I couldn't tell if Scott was supposed to be Ewan McGregor's character or if he was the "bad guy". His "intensity" just makes him look creepy, he needs to chill a bit. *shrugs*

IceVampire

Rinkside
The scoring here makes me believe a message has been sent to the U.S. judges "The ball is in your court", as far as the U.S. teams are concerned. Hubbell & Donahue are not getting marks they deserve because the judges do no trust them. They have a history of being error prone and they were given an opportunity at worlds, but blew it. They really should have gotten bronze here. They were hosed in the short program. The international judges will not elevate them until they do it on a national stage. If they win the U.S Championships, they will start to get the marks they deserve.

I do believe the Shibutani's did themselves a great disservice at this competition by screwing up both short and long programs. That's unacceptable at this level and at this stage of an Olympic season. All the momentum they had went out the window. They were easily in the judges slot for Olympic bronze and an easy National title, but now they are in for a fight.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
You apparently missed that Scott made a gracious reference to P/C at the GPF post-FD press conference.

He said, "... it was an honor to share the ice [with P/C] and have a heated competition and that’s what we came back for ..."

Scott never came up with an excuse, at all. And you're right he had nothing but great words for the other teams.

He also never hides the fact that he doesn't like being 2nd just like he said a the press conf. Word for word. That's why I actually like about him. Tessa might be a little more political when talking, I'm guessing she is definitely trying to avoid unecessary controversies (which is understandable when you see what people make up of sentences taken out of context), but Scott isn't the type to hide it. Him and Gabriella are the same actually, the latter being even more okay not to please everyone in interviews and just going for bold statement sometimes. What's the point of hiding disappointement when you know you can do better ?

Ice Diva

On the Ice
honestly, to me it looks like tessas stomach is more in scotts face than her crotch but whatever

Yes, his face is indeed against her stomach, her butt down on his chest. So for those clutching their pearls and reaching for their smelling salts - you can breathe more easily. But if it's your MO to have offended sensibilities, perhaps focus on some of the pairs' lifts and dismounts ...;)

alain06fr

On the Ice

Honestly, I don't share this opinion. Scott wanted to send a positive message saying they're ready to address the next challenge, exactly what I expect from the great champion he is.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Elvis Stoijko used to do the same all the time. I was like, Ok enough already, we get you're not a nelly poofter queen. Can we move on now? And to something other than a martial arts program?

It's so tedious.

On the other hand, I think Scott's interpretation at the beginning of the program works. The entire first half is an exaggerated Waltz From Hell. The almost cartoon masculinity works for me, particularly because of the sharp precise moves. What I'm not as thrilled about is the second half, which is more milquetoasty than I personally care for.

cocofeliz

Rinkside
Scott never came up with an excuse, at all. And you're right he had nothing but great words for the other teams.

He also never hides the fact that he doesn't like being 2nd just like he said a the press conf. Word for word. That's why I actually like about him. Tessa might be a little more political when talking, I'm guessing she is definitely trying to avoid unecessary controversies (which is understandable when you see what people make up of sentences taken out of context), but Scott isn't the type to hide it. Him and Gabriella are the same actually, the latter being even more okay not to please everyone in interviews and just going for bold statement sometimes. What's the point of hiding disappointement when you know you can do better ?

Um, here it is.
I’ve followed their career for 8 years and he always finds a reason for why they lost,
As if it was a complete fluke.

“be honest it was a funny program for us,” Moir volunteered. “We had a great feeling between the two of us, but we made a couple little uncharacteristic glitches that we don’t even make in training that often, but I guess that’s why we train. “

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
One can only decide, if to take Scott's words as 'an excuse of not winnin/losing' or 'self-evaluation of their work pu on ice and being conscious about errors he/Tessa has made', but at the end of the day everything comes down with usual - personal preferrence, for the team and for what other ones are saying, very similar to judges' preferrence for the material actually.

I see that Virtue/Moir being scored the way they've scored and seeing their errors made in the performance are yet not enough low level to drag them to - even Scott's words, taken out of bigger context (as usual), are 'advocating' for their inferiority towards not only their main competitors, but everyone else it sems. It has to feel quite special to see your words twisted in a manner that suits everyone's particular taste, but yours - hence me not being surprised by Scott's unapologetic attitude expressed so many times.

And indeed, like Scott has said - those 'glitches' they've made in both SD and FD were really 'uncharacteristic' from them: non-touching step sequence is their best ever element and almost always brings them lvl4 with virtually maxed GOE value, circular step sequence in FD was also beter scored this season already, not even mentioning midline one which underwent massive changes for GPF. In al honesty, I do not see an 'excuse' here made, just stating a cisrcumstance that prevent them for scoring better this time, despite their best intentions and tryings. I said this many times before - at this point, the ball is completely on their side performance/execution-wise since judges' preferrence was clearly shown, hence me not being surpised over statement like Scott's about their mistakes made. They are fully aware of situation and know that they have to defend their choices with the best quality they could possible produce now, I don't know what's wrong with saying that aloud?

And to be honest...should I produce a beaming smile, when I'm losing and whole world is laughing at me, spitting with their venom? I was at this point many times in ultra-competitive environment at work and I don't envy Scott's position right now. Whatever he will say, it will get twisted to make him worse.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Um, here it is.
I’ve followed their career for 8 years and he always finds a reason for why they lost,
As if it was a complete fluke.

“be honest it was a funny program for us,” Moir volunteered. “We had a great feeling between the two of us, but we made a couple little uncharacteristic glitches that we don’t even make in training that often, but I guess that’s why we train. “

I'll give him the benefice of the doubt honestly, because I didn't follow all the media stuff until the 2014-2015 season. Also that statement is true at least to an extent, they made mistake and that is not an excuse, that is a fact. That they make in it or not in practice isn't really relevant. If he wanted to win against the French he had to be perfect, they know that.
He always had good words for everybody, including Meryl & Charlie.
I try not to stay focused on a couple of things that journalist are reporting too because it can be taken out of context (that's why Tessa is much more diplomatic). He always said he had a bad temper as a kid and it could be showing at some moments. But not towards his training mates/rivals.

EDIT : About things taken out of context, I don't think Canadian sport media is doing a great job reevaluating what he is says either sometimes. Or are stating facts with no proof. "A french article said you were going to get robbed in Sochi", "How do you feel about knowing you have no chance ?". They still ask them that 4 years later, and they were very diplomatic about it. It's time to move on.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Elvis Stoijko used to do the same all the time. I was like, Ok enough already, we get you're not a nelly poofter queen. Can we move on now? And to something other than a martial arts program?

It's so tedious.

On the other hand, I think Scott's interpretation at the beginning of the program works. The entire first half is an exaggerated Waltz From Hell. The almost cartoon masculinity works for me, particularly because of the sharp precise moves. What I'm not as thrilled about is the second half, which is more milquetoasty than I personally care for.

quite agree - one of the things I love in their 'Moulin Rouge' program and take of it is the intensity put in every aspect of the performance - the movement design is very sharp, bold and 'out-there' accompanying with 'loud' elements and this strong, dramatic expression really completes the whle outlook (being aware that this is ot for everybody's taste, so is 'Moulin Rouge' choice, but it was already said by me countless times). The first part of the dance kind of 'grips' you tightly and never lets you go: I cannot take my eyes from them for a second, not only the whole visuals created, but the atmosphere made keeps me on the edge of my seat, exactly due to the boldness and 'punch' in their expression applied in such measure, in a very 'unapologetic' way. Still, although the balance/juxtaposition made by the secnd half is a great idea in my opinion, I do wish for equal 'punch' there as in 1st part in terms of lyrical expression and movement intention - at GPF I sensed that they went for more abandon/freedom there which is not good nor suitable thing in my opinion. I wish for an equal drama boldness like in Tango part - big, long movement in steps, with close facing holds that would match build of the music and other elements placed there: lift, spin, choreo sequence. It has to 'grip' the audience as tight as Tango, but the tools has to be measure for more lyrical outlook.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
One can only decide, if to take Scott's words as 'an excuse of not winnin/losing' or 'self-evaluation of their work pu on ice and being conscious about errors he/Tessa has made', but at the end of the day everything comes down with usual - personal preferrence, for the team and for what other ones are saying, very similar to judges' preferrence for the material actually.

I see that Virtue/Moir being scored the way they've scored and seeing their errors made in the performance are yet not enough low level to drag them to - even Scott's words, taken out of bigger context (as usual), are 'advocating' for their inferiority towards not only their main competitors, but everyone else it sems. It has to feel quite special to see your words twisted in a manner that suits everyone's particular taste, but yours - hence me not being surprised by Scott's unapologetic attitude expressed so many times.

And indeed, like Scott has said - those 'glitches' they've made in both SD and FD were really 'uncharacteristic' from them: non-touching step sequence is their best ever element and almost always brings them lvl4 with virtually maxed GOE value, circular step sequence in FD was also beter scored this season already, not even mentioning midline one which underwent massive changes for GPF. In al honesty, I do not see an 'excuse' here made, just stating a cisrcumstance that prevent them for scoring better this time, despite their best intentions and tryings. I said this many times before - at this point, the ball is completely on their side performance/execution-wise since judges' preferrence was clearly shown, hence me not being surpised over statement like Scott's about their mistakes made. They are fully aware of situation and know that they have to defend their choices with the best quality they could possible produce now, I don't know what's wrong with saying that aloud?

And to be honest...should I produce a beaming smile, when I'm losing and whole world is laughing at me, spitting with their venom? I was at this point many times in ultra-competitive environment at work and I don't envy Scott's position right now. Whatever he will say, it will get twisted to make him worse.

:agree:

We went through the same nonsense with the Voir/Marlie rivalry, which frankly was much more interesting.

Again, it's just tedious. Who does anyone on either side of the uber fence think they're going to convince? Unless they just happen to love preaching to the converted.

I don't know. I have better things to do with my time. Like pick my teeth.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Regardless of errors, if the judges wanted too which they don't, V and M could still be running in the pcs. I really sense this is deja vu 2014. P/C for oly gold. And I do like their freeskate though I just find it overrated. In fairness, the scoring system if being fair, does not take into account if you do the same type of music/style so they aren't losing points. I appreciate Gabby is improving too though I do find her rougher than him. Unless they make a huge error at the olympics the gold is their's. Nice battle in the US; the Shibutani's don't have as much breathing room as they thought. Though they were closer to V and M in the SD than I expected. I wonder if B/S or W/P can shake things up come Olympics? It must be crazy fighting for that bronze.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Regardless of errors, if the judges wanted too which they don't, V and M could still be running in the pcs. I really sense this is deja vu 2014. P/C for oly gold. And I do like their freeskate though I just find it overrated. In fairness, the scoring system if being fair, does not take into account if you do the same type of music/style so they aren't losing points. I appreciate Gabby is improving too though I do find her rougher than him. Unless they make a huge error at the olympics the gold is their's. Nice battle in the US; the Shibutani's don't have as much breathing room as they thought. Though they were closer to V and M in the SD than I expected. I wonder if B/S or W/P can shake things up come Olympics? It must be crazy fighting for that bronze.

Regarding the PCS :

In the SD, if you break down each one, it's either a tie, or between 0.02 and 0.05 of difference. That is a one judge call on a 0.25 difference. Since it wasn't V/M best skate of the season, but definitely P/C best SD (probably ever), I'm not suprised. The difference is less than 0.2, it could have gone either way if both team clean.

OTOH, in the FD, seeing them skating back to back, it did feel (to me, casual viewer, yet still analyzing) like P/C definitely had the edge. V/M did get PCS difference on Transitions and Composition and because some of it felt too busy (Especially the Step Sequences-translating as too frantic maybe for some judges ? I don't know), they got a difference on SS. It's almost as if they are sending a message of "rebuild some part of the FD, some of it isn't still working".

alain06fr

On the Ice
P/C bashing started the first day after their first World title in Shanghai.

Come on! How could it be? World champions at 19 and 20? Never ever!

The "music story" started immediately. "They won because of the music". Without Mozart, no chance! How contemptuous against two young and highly talented skaters! Well, I just wonder... AFAIK, anyone can dance on the Comcerto24, right? If this music is such a huge bonus to become World Champion, it's quite strange no one dared choosing it since 2015!

How to explain their second and consecutive World title (and BTW first WR) in Boston? No problem, the music, once again, and the obvious tied similarity between Mozart and the Cinematic Orchestra :laugh: Yep, it's better to laugh!

And the same chorus again last season and of course this season. Moonlight Sonata is so similar to the dissonant Stillness Odudua :laugh:. Beethoven was mostly deaf. If he was still alive, I would - unfortunately - wish him to be blind as well to not be able to read some comments on this forum.

We're getting closer to the OG and V/M results are not - so far - as great as P/C results. This WE, P/C beat V/M at both GPF SD and FD. Suddenly one can see already some extreme V/M fans continuing P/C bashing. No chance to see any nice words to congrat these two young, hard workers and highly talented ice dancers. So... P/C winning the OGM? That can't be! Never ever! One can read the "OGM is already decided, like in 2014". And some Canadian media to request the 2018 OGM as a compensation to the pretended to be "Sotchi plot" and "V/M stolen OGM".

Gabriella and Guillaume, in addition of being lovely and very humble persons (believe me!), are outstanding skaters and fantastic ice dancers. They have their own style, made of fluidity, effortless speed and emotions. They worked tremendously this season to get their so deserved Grand-Prix results. Yet, they know they need to work even more in the coming two months to compete at OG against V/M, their main and highly talented challengers. Nothing is written and the competition will be tough and exciting.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
P/C bashing started the first day after their first World title in Shanghai.

Come on! How could it be? World champions at 19 and 20? Never ever!

The "music story" started immediately. "They won because of the music". Without Mozart, no chance! How contemptuous against two young and highly talented skaters! Well, I just wonder... AFAIK, anyone can dance on the Comcerto24, right? If this music is such a huge bonus to become World Champion, it's quite strange no one dared choosing it since 2015!

How to explain their second and consecutive World title (and BTW first WR) in Boston? No problem, the music, once again, and the obvious tied similarity between Mozart and the Cinematic Orchestra :laugh: Yep, it's better to laugh!

And the same chorus again last season and of course this season. Moonlight Sonata is so similar to the dissonant Stillness Odudua :laugh:. Beethoven was mostly deaf. If he was still alive, I would - unfortunately - wish him to be blind as well to not be able to read some comments on this forum.

Now that we are close to the OG and V/M results are not - so far - as great as P/C results. This WE, P/C beat V/M at both GPF SD and FD. Suddenly one can see already some extreme V/M fans continuing P/C bashing. No chance to see any nice words to congrat these two young, hard workers and highly talented ice dancers. So... P/C winning the OGM? That can't be! Never ever! One can read the "OGM is already decided, like in 2014". And some Canadian media to request the 2018 OGM as a compensation to the pretended to be "Sotchi plot" and "V/M stolen OGM".

Gabriella and Guillaume, in addition of being lovely and very humble persons (believe me!), are outstanding skaters and fantastic ice dancers. They have their own style, made of fluidity, effortless speed and emotions. They worked tremendously this season to get their so deserved Grand-Prix results. Yet, they know they need to work even more in the coming two months to compete at OG against V/M, their main and highly talented challengers. Nothing is written and the competition will be tough and exciting.

Oy veh.

Preaching to the converted.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I am absolutely shocked at how p/c scores are eclipsing at WR pace and beating v/m. Honestly I cant figure it out. v/m are have much more prevalent characters in both programs, are faster in both programs, skate closer in both programs, have quicker transitions in both programs. How does p/c scores...particularly in the fd go beyond v/m? 22 10.00 scores in pcs for the french and only 14 for v/m? I dont buy it. The GOE is greater in many of the french elements than v/m.. again.. i don't see how. IMO the french should still be trailing the Canadians by around 4-5 points over all. I do say they are a solid second place but I just dont see how and why they are beating v/m. Ive watched the programs over and over again and every time I find more positives with the Canadians than the French. Now its not saying the French aren't good etc. They are wonderful smooth skaters and just fill the ice with beautiful skating..BUT.. I still find Tessa and Scott superior to them in almost every aspect. Hate me or dont hate me but no one can change my opinion.

viennaskater

Medalist

Very well said.:clapper: