2017 GPF Free Dance | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Free Dance

viennaskater

Medalist
I have to say I'm just not feeling the Moulin Rouge program... at all. I don't think it's MR fatigue, either. To me it just does not feel like an Olympic program. I don't know if it's just because I expect different/more from V/M or what... it just falls flat to me. And can they please do something other than her crotch in his face for their lift?!

It staggers me how that's even allowed - it has no place in ice dance. This is not acrobatics. And I DEFINITELY have MR fatigue!

maya1985

On the Ice
. IMO the french should still be trailing the Canadians by around 4-5 points over all.

I would say even 10 points at least:eeking:

Some people will have to accept that we have the chance to have 2 exceptional dance couples ... V/M and P/C (I know for some it's impossible to recognize it). No, the Canadians are not unbeatable (the French either). This constant way of belittling Gabriella and Guillaume is disrespectful ... they won just because they were the best this weekend (nothing is done for the Olympics).
Congratulations to them but also to the other 5 couples for this beautiful competition:)

viennaskater

Medalist
Elvis Stoijko used to do the same all the time. I was like, Ok enough already, we get you're not a nelly poofter queen. Can we move on now? And to something other than a martial arts program?

Brian Joubert used to do his 'I'm a straight man' look at the camera at the beginning of his programmes :laugh:

David21

On the Ice
I am absolutely shocked at how p/c scores are eclipsing at WR pace and beating v/m. Honestly I cant figure it out. v/m are have much more prevalent characters in both programs, are faster in both programs, skate closer in both programs, have quicker transitions in both programs. How does p/c scores...particularly in the fd go beyond v/m? 22 10.00 scores in pcs for the french and only 14 for v/m? I dont buy it. The GOE is greater in many of the french elements than v/m.. again.. i don't see how. IMO the french should still be trailing the Canadians by around 4-5 points over all. I do say they are a solid second place but I just dont see how and why they are beating v/m. Ive watched the programs over and over again and every time I find more positives with the Canadians than the French. Now its not saying the French aren't good etc. They are wonderful smooth skaters and just fill the ice with beautiful skating..BUT.. I still find Tessa and Scott superior to them in almost every aspect. Hate me or dont hate me but no one can change my opinion.

Country of this user: Canada

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
I've seen this comment many times, what does it means ? :biggrin:
It's Yiddish. Someone tried to turn it into an Aramaic form of a Hebrew word but it seems much more plausible that it's taken from old German from which the English words "O woe" are derived.
It can be spelled oy vey as well.

I want to explain why it's more logical that it's old German due to the present day Dutch word 'wee' which originally meant misfortune and pain but nowadays is used solely for labour pains, but I'm not allowed to do that for safety reasons. God knows what is very dangerous about this knowledge but I get an error 403... :scratch2:

MelDee

Final Flight
I am absolutely shocked at how p/c scores are eclipsing at WR pace and beating v/m. Honestly I cant figure it out. v/m are have much more prevalent characters in both programs, are faster in both programs, skate closer in both programs, have quicker transitions in both programs. How does p/c scores...particularly in the fd go beyond v/m? 22 10.00 scores in pcs for the french and only 14 for v/m? I dont buy it. The GOE is greater in many of the french elements than v/m.. again.. i don't see how. IMO the french should still be trailing the Canadians by around 4-5 points over all. I do say they are a solid second place but I just dont see how and why they are beating v/m. Ive watched the programs over and over again and every time I find more positives with the Canadians than the French. Now its not saying the French aren't good etc. They are wonderful smooth skaters and just fill the ice with beautiful skating..BUT.. I still find Tessa and Scott superior to them in almost every aspect. Hate me or dont hate me but no one can change my opinion.

P/C got 24 10s in the FD. Just saying. 😉

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
P/C got 24 10s in the FD. Just saying. 
Someone made a point in some other forum that the French skate much more in parallel and with more open choreography / holds with each other than other teams and it makes it essentially easier for them to skate clean esp. if you compare with V/M who cross each other & mix it up often using less easy steps as well. The same person also complained I think on FS Universe that P/C use many crossovers ... well I am sceptical towards this claim unless this person would give me video that counted every crossover they make vs other ice dance couples so we have a legitimate comparison. They make it look so effortless, they can enthrall us so we easily forget about this important aspect of what this discipline is. Not sure how reliable all that is though, I can't quite make up my mind on that.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
I have to say as ugly as this cunniliftus look, yet very well executed indeed, it is one of the element quite befitting to the story really. After all Satine is a courtesan (to stay polite), just saying :biggrin: OTOH Scott looking at Tessa like he wants to eat her and basically playing Lestat from interview with a vampire at the beginning of the FD, that I don't understand from a storytelling point of you :biggrin:

viennaskater

Medalist
All is in your dirty mind!!, her belly is in his face.

It's nothing to do with a dirty mind - as I mentioned, the move is too acrobatic. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly in a ballroom dancing competition. And it doesn't look right here. We're getting into pairs skating territory when couples start jumping up on the other's shoulders.

ChanClan

On the Ice
It's nothing to do with a dirty mind - as I mentioned, the move is too acrobatic. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly in a ballroom dancing competition. And it doesn't look right here. We're getting into pairs skating territory when couples start jumping up on the other's shoulders.

it may not fly in a ballroom competition but this isn't a ballroom competition. Why shouldn't ice dance couples do more acrobatic lifts? They are extremely hard, and in all the other disciplines, the harder element are scored more, plus you get praised for doing them. They are well within the rules to be able to do these lifts legally and if they want to, they should... and get higher marks for this (Change the rules ISU!)

icetigger

On the Ice
I don't actually think the lift is that difficult. The entry yes, but she isn't actually being lifted; and her first position is directly sat on top of him: it's one of the easiest positions to carry the weight of another person possible. Plus from that point on her weight is being dropped rather than being lifted. At no point is she actually lifted by him; he just provides support for her to get into position. It also isn't that difficult because there is no height difference between them: it'd be much more difficult if he was taller.. I'd hate for a lift like that to become compulsory to win a world or olympics title, as it only fits a certain type of narrative- like the domestic violence narrative of the Moulin Rouge freedance. I think a lift where the person is and held in one position and then lifted and held in another before finding a resting supported place is just as difficult.

ChanClan

On the Ice
^ Fair enough, although now thinking about it, how many ice dance lifts are actually lifts and not just the partner resting on a body part of their partner or clinging onto their partner somehow? Thinking about it, I'd say very few ice dance lifts are actually the male partner lifting his partner and not just supporting them though I don't watch every single ice dance teams lifts so i could be wrong.

icetigger

On the Ice
^ Fair enough, although now thinking about it, how many ice dance lifts are actually lifts and not just the partner resting on a body part of their partner or clinging onto their partner somehow? Thinking about it, I'd say very few ice dance lifts are actually the male partner lifting his partner and not just supporting them though I don't watch every single ice dance teams lifts so i could be wrong.

You are right, there are very few lifts. It's often centrifugal force that is used to maintain the lift; or the woman just goes straight to standing on the man, and then is manoeuvred around. The entry to the carmen lift is spectacular- and requires great trust; but there are a lot of factors to take in to account when looking at lift difficulty; and height differences and weight differences do come in to play. Both V/M and P/C have come up with lifts that work for them and fit their types of performance and skating. P/C lifts rarely have the man and woman looking away from each other: they are usually completed with a facial connect, and that means a lack of dynamic to them sometimes in terms of what the full dynamic between the relationship of their bodes might be; V/M have lifts that are designed to look spectacular and be moments in the programme, but there is a degree of sacrifice of connnection: both have been very well thought through albeit with different intents.

Nan

Rinkside
Papadakis/Cizeron were wonderful. It was great to see the skaters and music blend together with every beat which makes them mesmerizing.