2018-2019 Grand Prix Final Men's Free Skate | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Grand Prix Final Men's Free Skate

discode

Final Flight
I expected it to be closer, but Shoma had some really scary landings on those jumps. Now Nathan get to work on your winter break.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I guess Uno's tech score dropped because of under rotation, right? Bad landings are pretty obvious in real time so they should have been factored in before the drop.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
This was an underwhelming free skate from everyone involved and I can’t even pretend to be mad about how things wound up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ITA. The highlight was probably Jun's bronze and I'm not even keen on that Juliet program :laugh:

rachno2

Record Breaker
I do think Nathan did enough to win, and I was pleased to see some strict judging on URs and landings. But mehhhh what an uninspiring event. Such is men’s figure skating: you come for the quads and stay for your faves, no matter how many quads they manage to land :laugh: Happy for Jun!

oly2018

Final Flight
These new UR rules are really hurting some of the guys. Say what you want about Nathan dropping choreo, he usually rotates his jumps and that is valued even more now. The quad advantage isn't really there, but the rotations one is.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I'm going to have to look harder at Shoma's jumps. I didn't see that many unders. But that 4S<< was tragic. Please go back to the Loop!

The hooked and/or scratchy landings on his URs were very obvious. The jumps were not with him today. He fought for every single one, which is admirable and very impressive that he stayed on his feet but almost none of them were clean.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Shoma won the PCS by ~1.5 points. TES ends up at 93. Highest I saw while he was on the ice was 104, so ~11 points lost on review. Downgrade on that first quad was definitely part of it.

His TES was over Nathan’s at one point. I saw 107, if I recall correctly. There was at least three points he lost while the box was on screen, then what happened after.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Neither Nathan nor Shoma - who I was oh so hoping would get his first big gold - deserved it with either program. What's happened to the pair of them and Boyang???

I know post-Olympics tends to be a drop, but god, I wish Javi had stuck around....

s_parks

Record Breaker
I believe Jun is the youngest medalist at the GPF since Plushenko(correct me if I'm wrong), first Korean man to medal, and the first Korean since Yuna. So proud of him!

Plisskin

Medalist
Eh, not surprised. Those landings were pretty bad. Skates of the night were definitely Brezina and Jun but overall what a meh event. A lot of tense skates. I hope ladies and pairs are better.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Now let’s just make sure Junliet doesn’t die from clubbing too hard because of his medal :yahoo:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
ITA. The highlight was probably Jun's bronze and I'm not even keen on that Juliet program :laugh:

Yeah, Pretty much...not an event to look for clean skating but happy for top 3....and its the worlds that is the big enchalata....

frida80

Record Breaker
Is Nathan really going to pull off Yale and elite skating?? :pray:

Apparently so. It's not even the Ivy League school. Others have done high level schools and skating before. It's that his coach is 3000 miles away! It's insane!