2018 Europeans Ladies SP | Page 66 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Ladies SP

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Does Eteri have something against Alina skating better than Evgenia. She didn't even clap when she finished

Evgenia is her darling :biggrin: It's well known actually, maybe because she coached her since she was little. I guess she's concerned by how mighty Alina has become and now is a threat to her favourite skater - Medvedeva.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Zagitova skates over the music. She doesn't move with the music or give any impression that she feels the music or has any idea to express the nuances and meaning of the music. She performs the elements superbly and the composition of the program is good but so crammed and rushed that it doesn't allow much of the feeling of the music itself to be conveyed to the audience through the skater. YMMV.

Facial expressions can be part of the overall expression of a program, but they don't have to be, IMO. When Zagitova skates well, she does communicate happiness and elation at landing her jumps. That can add to the performance value of a program, but it isn't enough for me. Just speaking personally ... but it's an opinion shared by many.
The terms associated with performance, such as "expression," and the way they are used in the forum have become quite curious to me, generally. And I often wonder what people mean when they use the terms that they do. Maybe this is because I am an actor and director in the theater. It's possible that my language is different from what's used here, maybe especially because I come from a school of abstract physical theater in which the body communicates as much as the face or the text. Anyway, hence my question about what was meant by "expression."

In terms of Alina moving to the music in her SP, I disagree with you--so we probably won't find common ground. The program is perhaps too jam packed with elements, but she moves with the music exquisitely in her StSq in which every turn and gesture is choreographed precisely with the line of the melody. I find her attention to detail in this section and the rigor of her musicality to be pretty much unmatched.

What her performance exudes to me is incredible tenacity and intensity. It is a full bodied performance, like a virtuoso ballet solo. The journey to me is her accomplishing the technical elements themselves, which in fact resonates greatly with the cultural reference to Black Swan and the insane, deadly drive for artistic perfection. The fervor with which she attacks the elements is the starting point from which the "performance" is built.

All in all, she is a marvelous young woman who I think is capable of really knocking the "average viewers'" socks off with the technical difficulty and artistic power of her performances.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Your Sochi Olympic champion only did 3t-3t while Kostner did 3f-3t

So....

In the SP. And her SP was great. Sotnikova's jumps were all HUGE, and she showed great speed, choreo, transitions, etc. Well deserved score imo. In the FS, Adelina did 3L-3T and had the highest tech content of ALL the women there. Well deserved Olympic title.

I'm glad Alina won the SP. Well deserved as well. :biggrin:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think that Zagitova has good musicality ... much better than Medvedeva imho (Medvedeva only hits certain poses from time to time, I don't see her really skate to the music.).
Both are very talented and Zagitova will probably become the better skater (if she doesn't win Olympic gold).
Although, based on my personal preferences, I would have Kostner in 1st. I can live with Zagitova leading after the SP. Her jump content is superior and with that she would have been a contender even in the old 6.0 judging system. Clean lutz, loop and flip ... there's really not much more you can ask for. If she can beat Medvedeva here at Europeans she surely is going to be the hot favourite going into the Olympics. Because Medvedeva's jump content isn't special at all, yes, she can do triple toe combos in her sleep, but her three jump combo is meeh and she's only repeating toeloop and flip in the FS. Zagitova's jump content really is extraordinary and I'm not talking about the fact that she's doing all her jumps in the 2nd half.

Kinga

Medalist
BTW, I saw Natasha at World's in Helsinki (she didn't reach FS there, either :-/)... watched her in practices and in the SP... and yet, this is the first time I've realised, her jumps are all clockwise, but her spins are all counter-clockwise... never seen such a thing before...! How does that even work...?! o_O
Awww, that makes me like her even more, because this is what I also do (of course, at much much lower level ;)) How did I miss that? I thought that no one in serious competition does that. Kudos to her

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Am I the only one who screamed out loud when Carolina hit her 3F-3T in the short? :laugh: I'm not ashamed of admitting that I repeated the same reaction to the other jump landings. What a nice way to show the world the 30 year old skater is not done yet!

Because of her solid jump techniques, she still can be competitive at her age!

beki

Medalist
Medvedeva's artistry has improved. She is holding and emphasizing her movements more, as a senior leading lady should. I thought her skate was lovely, and exquisitely timed to the music. For example the skid at the end of her step sequence. She's not as exceptional as Caro, but significantly more advanced than Zagitova, who is only at the very beginning of developing her talent.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Am I the only one who screamed out loud when Carolina hit her 3F-3T in the short? :laugh: I'm not ashamed of admitting that I repeated the same reaction to the other jump landings. What a nice way to show the world the 30 year old skater is not done yet!

The only reason I didn't scream was that I was in the office, watching the ladies event secretly while I should've been working :cool: But yeah, it got me emotional for sure.

What a nice way to show the world the 30 year old skater is not done yet!

She's such an inspiration! I can't believe that a woman older than me is still a competitive Olympic medal contender in ladies figure skating. That's way more impressive that the media-darlings, teenage stars of single Olympic Games.

johnsmith72

On the Ice
In the SP. And her SP was great. Sotnikova's jumps were all HUGE, and she showed great speed, choreo, transitions, etc. Well deserved score imo. In the FS, Adelina did 3L-3T and had the highest tech content of ALL the women there. Well deserved Olympic title.

I'm glad Alina won the SP. Well deserved as well. :biggrin:

Adelina had great, powerful jumps but you really shouldn't use Adelina's 3Le-3T< as an example of her high tech:p

Jedi

On the Ice
Seriously, what are you talking about? Have you even watched her program? She executed the same content as Evgenia.

Well she can duplicate Evgenia's content - she has not done it a lot recently. Still her telegraphing and transitions and choreo should be marked down.

qwertyskates

Medalist
In terms of Alina moving to the music in her SP, I disagree with you--so we probably won't find common ground. The program is perhaps too jam packed with elements, but she moves with the music exquisitely in her StSq in which every turn and gesture is choreographed precisely with the line of the melody. I find her attention to detail in this section and the rigor of her musicality to be pretty much unmatched.

What her performance exudes to me is incredible tenacity and intensity. It is a full bodied performance, like a virtuoso ballet solo. The journey to me is her accomplishing the technical elements themselves, which in fact resonates greatly with the cultural reference to Black Swan and the insane, deadly drive for artistic perfection. The fervor with which she attacks the elements is the starting point from which the "performance" is built.

All in all, she is a marvelous young woman who I think is capable of really knocking the "average viewers'" socks off with the technical difficulty and artistic power of her performances.

:agree: I need to give you 100 thumbs up!

I'm puzzled why Zagi is accused of "rushing"...actually as her SP is structured into 3 segments, a sickly, pained beginning before she slowly descends into chaos, madness and finally she emerges strong and sinister, one wing flexed then the other, as Black Swan.

The frenetic Stsq is to the chaotic stressful violin segment as she descends into madness.

Without much changes in her facial expressions, the entire riveting narrative is skated vividly to life by every part of her body, to her finger tips.

Med is the one I find who isn't skating to the music - the fast and varied movements don't go with most segments of the music. I understand why she wants to perform more transitions to earn the points but the Nocturne of Chopin isn't the vehicle. Isn't Mirai skating to this? It'll greatly reduce the impact of Med's program.

I love Kostner's grace, but in every sport, the more difficult content gets rewarded.

This is true for half-pipes, snowboarding, gymnastics, etc. You perform more difficult moves, you earn more points.

The ability to perform difficulty is valued in sports, that's how a lot of sport is pushed forward

In between her very fine elements, there really isn't that much difficulty showcased or skated. She isn't moving fast, she is very much on 2 feet, she lets her hands and face do most of the movement at times. It's very pretty, artistic choreography, and I enjoy it very much, but Zagi is leagues ahead because of the technical difficulty, the perfection of execution and the disturbing beauty of the performance.

I can't wait for tomorrow!!:yahoo:

lavender

Record Breaker
Masterpiece Carolina...Now that is some classic beautiful skating. I haven't had chills for a ladies short in some time..not since Michelle. Glad Carolina came back.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
This is a forum with most americans, that’s the reason about most people hates Carolina.
Just visit another kínd of forum ( maybe europeas) and you will see the people supporting Carolina

As an American I take exception to that uncalled for remark. I'm a HUGE Carolina fan. I'm also a HUGE fan of the Russian ladies. They've all done a great job so far at Euros and may the best one win tomorrow!

Seruleane

Final Flight
Loved Zagitova's SP for the first time. It has been growing on me all season, and I'm so glad she was able to perform it cleanly here! No, she isn't giving face during the whole program, but her movements are very expressive and suit the music quite well. She deserved to be in front of Evgenia who had a small mistake on the axel. Evgenia's skating also looked a bit more tentative here. It's hard to skate to slow music, she has to pour her whole soul into it, which she did not do this time. I'm not worried about her though- I'm sure she will be better by the Olympics.

I think they are both favorites for Olympic Gold at this point. Alina has the superior technical content, and I just LOVE her spins and jumps, they are beautiful. Evgenia has the polish, grace, consistency and deserves higher PCS, but I don't think it is that big of a difference. Alina may not be as graceful, but she has a magnetic quality. I prefer Alina's SP, and her FS is charming, so she may have the edge on program appeal. I liked Evgenia's Anna Karenina FS and think it has great potential, but honestly haven't seen it enough times to decide which FS I prefer. It will really depend on the SP, who leads by what margin, and who gives the best FS performance of the night. I thought ladies would be so boring this Olympics, but I'm glad to be wrong.

lavender

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by Aquinox1 This is a forum with most americans, that’s the reason about most people hates Carolina.
Just visit another kínd of forum ( maybe europeas) and you will see the people supporting Carolina

As an American I take exception to that uncalled for remark. I'm a HUGE Carolina fan. I'm also a HUGE fan of the Russian ladies. They've all done a great job so far at Euros and may the best one win tomorrow!

As a fellow American I agree....read my post above. I've always like Carolina.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FINALLY someone calls it out.

Med and Alina both have flutzes, yet no one seems to call it out.

Jump entries are just as important as under-rotated jumps...

The post was about Adelina who has been called out more times than anyone can count.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Outside the top three discussion, the ladies that impressed me:
Natasha Mckey: wonderful expression and refined movements. She is an eye-catcher. A pity she didn't qualify for LP
Ivett Toth: FANTASTIC music choice. Can we get more of that sort, please?
Lena Hendrixx: what a powerful skater with explosive jumps and interesting movements. She has so much potential!

And of course : Giada Russo. What a fabulous step sequence, choreography, expression. .. Shame that jumps are not there. She would be the Queen :)

Loved your post, and love your taste! Yes, Natasha McKay has a lot of potential. I thought the same about her program when I saw it last year. (She actually repeated the same program.) Sadly, she seems to have gone downhill a little bit since last season.

I absolutely second your opinion about Ivett. She is so brilliant. Such a self-possessed and mature young woman. Her performance at last year's Europeans really caught me, and I have been a huge fan ever since. Yesterday's SP just bowled me over.

Loena's SP was awesome! I think it is one of the best programs of the season! I just wish that the music cut in the second part was a bit cleaner. But she skated it so well save the one mistake. What a great performer. Really strong and powerful choreography and performance.

I hadn't seen Giada's SP before yesterday, and it was amaaaaaaaazing. What a bold choice; love, love, love. I agree too bad about the jumps. Her body has changed so much in the past couple of years; that must be so hard. I adored this program though!

Matilda Algotsson and Diana Nikitina also have really good programs. A shame that they both had such a horrible time.