2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies SP | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies SP

Shayuki

Record Breaker
You thought Mirai's 3a in the SP was polished? Oy!
Skating... Skating. Also, I don't think I've ever said Mirai's skating is or was polished. Reading helps, as does arguing against points that have actually been stated rather than ones generated by imagination.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her "complaint" was that she hasn't seen a "6.25 in a long time"...fair enough...though their have definitely been more outspoken complaints from skaters.

Agree. Skaters have a right to question their scores. One judge (Inman) even gave Mirai a 6 in transitions! That is ridiculously low given the way PCS is scored internationally. Leave it to the good old USA to be so "fair" that it holds back its own skaters.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
After re watching, I would have had Wang in 1st, Karen in 4th. Bradie was way overscored PCS, and Hanna way UNDERSCOrED PCS. Vivian is a sad thing, watching her she should be much better. Vivian has huge natural ability, not sure what happened to her along the way. (injuries? boots?) As far as Ashley, I'm just not a fan of recycling programs, especially programs that are cheesy.

Yes there is a case for Wang being first. But I expect her pcs will be bigger today. I have never seen her long, so I hope it is good. If Karen doesn't make the olympics, she could still go to beijing. It could be a blessing in disguise for her.

OK, bad example. But it sure seems wrong to me. I assume figure skating doesn't have a similar rule.

I think there is some sort of provision where a coach can raise a scoring issue with the event referee. I am a little vague on the details, but I believe that this has to be done right way, or at least within a half hour or so. (?) Once the event is in the books, that's it.

As for complaining to the news media -- that's just wuzrobbing.

leafygreens

Final Flight
I think there is some sort of provision where a coach can raise a scoring issue with the event referee. I am a little vague on the details, but I believe that this has to be done right way, or at least within a half hour or so. (?) Once the event is in the books, that's it.

As for complaining to the news media -- that's just wuzrobbing.

I don't agree that she is "wuzrobbing." Complaining immediately is impossible, since the full score breakdowns are not posted until the end of the competition. This is probably why no one files a complaint.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (1/3/2018) — Polina Edmunds and Ashley Lin have withdrawn from the 2018 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships. The championship ladies free skate is scheduled for 3:45 p.m. (PST) today at SAP Center in San Jose, California. They were in seventh and 21st place after the short program, respectively.

I don't agree that she is "wuzrobbing." Complaining immediately is impossible, since the full score breakdowns are not posted until the end of the competition. This is probably why no one files a complaint.

I'm just saying, what good does it do to complain to the news media? What can the media do?

mrrice

Record Breaker
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (1/3/2018) — Polina Edmunds and Ashley Lin have withdrawn from the 2018 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships. The championship ladies free skate is scheduled for 3:45 p.m. (PST) today at SAP Center in San Jose, California. They were in seventh and 21st place after the short program, respectively.

What happened to Polina??? This is so shocking and I have friends who went to this event specifically to see her. Is she injured?? I'm completely shocked..

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Musical choice may not be up to the USFSA, but they certainly advise skaters, if no other way than thorough the judges. I well remember that Michell dropped a Beatles' short during her career, because it didn't go over well with the judges.

You might be thinking of the program Miraculous Mandarin program Michelle only skated once at the 2001 Grand Prix Final (back when 2 long programs were required). She did perform A Day in the Life (composed by Lennon & McCartney and performed by Jeff Beck) for her short program for 1999 Masters, 1999 Skate America, 1999 Skate Canada, 2000 Japan Open, 2000 Nationals, 2000 Grand Prix Final and 2000 Worlds.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Angela Wang totally should have won this, what a lovely performance.

Bradie Tennell is the definition of vanilla.

Karen Chen, one of the most talented ladies in the world, a good performance but the combo mistake can't be ignored.

Ashley was enjoyable but she's just not competitive at the highest level anymore, the struggle is real on the technical side.

Mirai's program, skating skills, and performance are flat. Just sad to see the direction her skating has gone. She put all the focus on the jumps thanks to her tunnel-visioned coach and when the 3A landing is that bad, it removes the technical advantage she might have. 6's for transitions are absolutely correct for the skating she is doing and it shows how unaware she is of the problem that it comes as a surprise to her.

TCAngel18

Medalist
You might be thinking of the program Miraculous Mandarin program Michelle only skated once at the 2001 Grand Prix Final (back when 2 long programs were required). She did perform A Day in the Life (composed by Lennon & McCartney and performed by Jeff Beck) for her short program for 1999 Masters, 1999 Skate America, 1999 Skate Canada, 2000 Japan Open, 2000 Nationals, 2000 Grand Prix Final and 2000 Worlds.

The Miraculous Mandarin was an INCREDIBLE program. I wish she would have kept it. She freakin performed to Corigliano and Villa Lobos before, and they aren’t necessarily commercial composers. They had a very avant- garde style. Why were the judges scared off by Bartok!

That program could have been an absolute masterpiece!

klutzy

On the Ice
What happened to Polina??? This is so shocking and I have friends who went to this event specifically to see her. Is she injured?? I'm completely shocked..

What a shame, but she was having problems with her free skate and didn't do any jumps in her last practice before the SP, so it may be that she didn't want to risk further injury to her foot or it was starting to give her problems again.

I was really hoping she'd stick around and stay in the top 10 and pull some international assignments for next season, because lack of lutz and flip aside, she looked great in the short.

sandi

Rinkside

NOOO, I am shocked too... As a local, Polina is one of my main reasons to go to the event besides Mirai and Karen. I hope she continues to compete.

TCAngel18

Medalist
Yeah, it could have been she stuck around just long enough to have that moment in front of her hometown San Jose crowd, like Rudy Galindo did 22 years earlier. Figured she had that moment with the clean short, and didn’t want to tarnish it with a weaker Long.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Wow, I'm surprised, too. But it seems that Polina doesn't have all of her triples back so maybe she just wasn't ready to do a long program. She didn't have enough training time, it seems, to be fully ready for Nationals. Her injury must have been more serious than was indicated.

bobbob

Medalist
The Nationals judges may be trying to send a message to Mirai that it isn't enough to up the tech---she isn't getting the PCS scores from ISU judges and without the 8s and 9s that the top ladies are getting, more tech isn't enough to be competitive.

Karen, Angela and Bradie show a lot more expression and relation to their music than Mirai does by a long shot. And no, Chopin isn't "low-key". Junior champ Alysa Liu skated to a Chopin medley for her winning FS and she was out there using her face, arms and whole body to emphasize every note of the music. And one of the medley just happened to be Mirai's SP music.

What you said MAY be the case, but if so it would not be fair or appropriate at all because it sends the wrong message to everyone by skewing scores...if Karen, Angela, and Bradie show so much more expression to music, why do they get lower or at most equal PCS internationally to Mirai???

NAOTMAA

Medalist
What you said MAY be the case, but if so it would not be fair or appropriate at all because it sends the wrong message to everyone by skewing scores...if Karen, Angela, and Bradie show so much more expression to music, why do they get lower or at most equal PCS internationally to Mirai???

Because Mirai's been established for god knows how long, her reputation is set. The other 3 are babies in comparison. Veteran status does have its benefits.

Bradie is still a newcomer who has yet to earn a reputation and Angela and Karen are widely inconsistent. But their still young enough where their status in the eyes of the judges can easily change, positive or negative. Mirai on the other hand has been around so long the chances of her PCS fortunes going up are slim unless she starts giving career best competition after competition. Mirai's mountain is far tougher to climb.

And if Bradie keeps performing as consistent as she currently is (or close to it) her marks will only keep going up. Especially because she will certainly be US #1. She will certainly pass Mirai. And if Karen can get it together jump wise she will too