2018 Worlds Short Dance | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Short Dance

pearly

Record Breaker
omg olivia smart is the most immature athlete I've found this olympic season. Her persistent posting of #trueteam left me nauseated and wanting to chastise her on her own instagram

I thought that one particular post with three teams on the podium where she only tagged Adria and the third team and not S&K was a bit immature. And during the entire two weeks of Olympics, where so many athletes supported their teammates, not a single post to acknowledge the OG were even taking place.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Last time I remember watching such a quality Ice Dance event was Boston Worlds :eek:

Amazing performances from pretty much everyone. They all killed it, just wow :gclap: We need more of these !

AliAle

On the Ice
Was S&D defeated by S&K to earn the spot? How was it decided to send S&K over S&D?

Yup, S/D won the Nationals over H/K. In all honesty, I do think H/K are the better team at the moment, as evidenced by their excellent placement at the Olympics. I don't envy the Spanish Federation on this though.
And, quote from Wikipedia:
"In July 2017, FEDH announced that Spain's Olympic spot in ice dancing would go to the team which received the highest combined score at the 2017 CS Golden Spin of Zagreb and Spanish Championships.
Hurtado/Khaliavin began their season in October with a 6th-place result at the 2017 CS Finlandia Trophy. The following month, they won gold at the Open d'Andorra. In December, they finished fourth at the 2017 CS Golden Spin of Zagreb, just 0.30 points behind bronze medalists Kaitlin Hawayek / Jean-Luc Baker of the United States. They outscored Smart/Díaz by 4.18 points at Golden Spin and finished second at the Spanish Championships with a 3.23 deficit, resulting in a final advantage of 0.95 points. On 17 December 2017, FEDH confirmed that Hurtado/Khaliavin would compete at the Olympics"

hfield

Rinkside
I thought that one particular post with three teams on the podium where she only tagged Adria and the third team and not S&K was a bit immature. And during the entire two weeks of Olympics, where so many athletes supported their teammates, not a single post to acknowledge the OG were even taking place.

Learning so many things this week, like the love square between her, her partner and H/D. Is that still a thing?! The drama of it all...:shame:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Yup, S/D won the Nationals over H/K. In all honesty, I do think H/K are the better team at the moment, as evidenced by their excellent placement at the Olympics. I don't envy the Spanish Federation on this though.
And, quote from Wikipedia:
"In July 2017, FEDH announced that Spain's Olympic spot in ice dancing would go to the team which received the highest combined score at the 2017 CS Golden Spin of Zagreb and Spanish Championships.
Hurtado/Khaliavin began their season in October with a 6th-place result at the 2017 CS Finlandia Trophy. The following month, they won gold at the Open d'Andorra. In December, they finished fourth at the 2017 CS Golden Spin of Zagreb, just 0.30 points behind bronze medalists Kaitlin Hawayek / Jean-Luc Baker of the United States. They outscored Smart/Díaz by 4.18 points at Golden Spin and finished second at the Spanish Championships with a 3.23 deficit, resulting in a final advantage of 0.95 points. On 17 December 2017, FEDH confirmed that Hurtado/Khaliavin would compete at the Olympics"

Wow this is wild. So how did Smart/Diaz get to come to Worlds? Did H/K withdraw or was it decided that whatever team that did not get the Olympics will have Worlds?

Sienna03

Spectator
Their comments toward the Shibs? How about the Shibs behavior at Nationals? How about the Shibs saying they got Olympic bronze because they are the best? It is a sport and they are competitors. Hubbell/Donohue have always been gracious at a competition, which is more than I can say for the Shibs.

pearly

Record Breaker
Learning so many things this week, like the love square between her, her partner and H/D. Is that still a thing?! The drama of it all...:shame:

I saw a post on Madison's IG of her and Adria together and I haven't seen anything that would indicate whether Olivia and Zach were still together or not. I don't know. But I am not surprised all these relationships start the first place: you are surrounded by the same people so much of your time and you share such an important interest, probably the most important thing in your life (your sport and the dedication to it). There are very few people who understand what you are going through - you moved away from home to a foreign country to train. You need to be perfect to succeed. You gave up your family, friends and education just to skate. You don't have time for "normal" social things your non-skating/athlete partner would expect from a relationship. You travel around the world for competitions and are absent from home a lot.

It's perfectly normal. I don't know how healthy it is (I've been in such situations), but it's normal.

pearly

Record Breaker
Wow this is wild. So how did Smart/Diaz get to come to Worlds? Did H/K withdraw or was it decided that whatever team that did not get the Olympics will have Worlds?

The criteria for Worlds were not published in advance. I think the Spanish fed prefers S/D and would have sent them to Worlds either way. They simply announced H/K got Euros and Olympics and S/D Worlds.

Last year H/K won nationals, got Europeans, messed up there and S/D went to Worlds - but I don't know if that decision came after Nats or after Europeans.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

It is sort of nice that we even care about a third tier team. I hope anyways regardless of oly disappointment they enjoy worlds.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
The criteria for Worlds were not published in advance. I think the Spanish fed prefers S/D and would have sent them to Worlds either way. They simply announced H/K got Euros and Olympics and S/D Worlds.

Last year H/K won nationals, got Europeans, messed up there and S/D went to Worlds - but I don't know if that decision came after Nats or after Europeans.

Thanks for the info. It's sad that people are so petty. Especially because the decision isn't H/K's fault. They merely just skate and want to succeed, no different than anyone else.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Their comments toward the Shibs? How about the Shibs behavior at Nationals? How about the Shibs saying they got Olympic bronze because they are the best? It is a sport and they are competitors. Hubbell/Donohue have always been gracious at a competition, which is more than I can say for the Shibs.

I think if Hubbell and Donahoe win silver which is predicted by most the Shibs will retire - deep down know they have been passed. That being said I thinkthe race is for bronze. Wow 3rd to 8th. I think CL have it in the bag but my heart is with weapo!

Barb

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed C/B performance, their best of the season IMO. I enjoyed the most to G/P (I really LOVE that program), W/P, C/B and for the first time I enjoyed S/B program :eek:.

Poor Kaitlin H.

Kana and Chris SB yay!! 10th place, underscored in PCS as usual

Olivia and Adria 12th, still possible that top 10

W/L underscored

P/C got rhumba L3, so they will not leave the season with only L4 after all.

I will miss the latin rhythm, I know some teams got very weird music but many other got good music that is familiar and enjoyable for me.

hfield

Rinkside
I saw a post on Madison's IG of her and Adria together and I haven't seen anything that would indicate whether Olivia and Zach were still together or not. I don't know. But I am not surprised all these relationships start the first place: you are surrounded by the same people so much of your time and you share such an important interest, probably the most important thing in your life (your sport and the dedication to it). There are very few people who understand what you are going through - you moved away from home to a foreign country to train. You need to be perfect to succeed. You gave up your family, friends and education just to skate. You don't have time for "normal" social things your non-skating/athlete partner would expect from a relationship. You travel around the world for competitions and are absent from home a lot.

It's perfectly normal. I don't know how healthy it is (I've been in such situations), but it's normal.

Totally get it, I was a high level swimmer as a teen, and didnt have much of a social life and dated a fellow swimmer for a while. Just gets messy when the relationships intertwine like that I am sure.

Miriam090

Rinkside
We have Tiffany.. but.. :sad21:ARe there standing out Russian junior teams?

I mean Anastasia Skoptcova and Kirill Aleshin just won Junior Worlds... And they're moving up to Seniors next year, but who knows how they will cope with the transition.

twirlingblades

Medalist
Reading H/D comments they don't sound as bad. Zach basically said he gave Shibs his medal because he messed up and don't want that to happen again. I don't see any kind of hate towards the Shibs.

There wasn’t any. People are just trying to create drama and I think the hardcare Shibs fans are overly salty.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Welcome to Golden Skate, Sienna03. It's obviously you have strong feelings about this that you decided to post. I hope you'll stay and post often and long. :)

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I didn't care for Zach's comment, he should have worded it better. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't mean it to be rude but it came off that way. Yes I am a Shibs fan but I am also a H&D fan and I admit the comment disappointed me. It won't stop me from rooting for H&D but hopefully it was just a bad choice of words.

As to the skating - so far I've only seen the last group and they were all wonderful!!

twirlingblades

Medalist
He did.. Not at the press conference but in an interview before the competition, he said something like they wish shibs could be here because last year they handed their medal to them.

What he was saying was that he wishes they were competing against the Shibs because he blew it last year and wanted to compete against them again.

I know skating is about drama but people have to stop twisting words to create headlines.