2021 Cup of Warsaw: Pairs Short Program | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2021 Cup of Warsaw: Pairs Short Program

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Thank you all for the company. I'll be back later for the men, but I have to do some shopping now (and cook dinner!).

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chelsea and Danny missing being in the final FS group by 15 hundredths of a point! Darn.

But on the bright side ... look how well they did! Pretty great for a pair who's only been partnered since March!

LadyB

Record Breaker
I'm sorry for Ca/Jo and that awkward moment... also would have hoped to see SD/D and B/Z a bit further up.
But hey, I ain't complaining about the top three and Zhuk/Bidar certainly held their own! :rock:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That must have been some kind of skate from Chelsea and Danny. Skating 2nd and almost making the top 6. Shame about C/J but better to have a bad skate now than at Nationals.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That must have been some kind of skate from Chelsea and Danny. Skating 2nd and almost making the top 6. Shame about C/J but better to have a bad skate now than at Nationals.
Looks like they had a fall on the sbs jump and an issue with the throw (lots of -3 GOE). I think it's more that most teams had some issues, and they did really well on the levels - all level 4 except the twist (level 3). So that helped their score.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I was out, unfortunately, I didn't see T/M skate :( I had no idea Krasnopolski still skates. Is she a partner #99 or what?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If the U.S. teams skate the way they can, they should all be scoring much higher, across-the-board. In fact, Calalang/Johnson are the 2019 Warsaw Cup defending champions. Brain freezes by Jessica, or else her confidence has gone missing with all that she's been through recently. With T/M feeling the need to compete at this mostly second tier event, C/J at the least should be in second place, no lie. They would likely at least have made third without the unforgiveable spin error.

Liu/O'Shea are very capable of scoring in the high 60s, and they have done so this season in early comps. Hopefully, they figure themselves out and clean up the jumps. They are a quality, talented team. Chan/Howe showed great breakthrough promise at Norwood in August, but without many opportunities to compete since then, they haven't been able to build any competitive momentum. That's the way of this sport.

Kittosuni

Medalist
If the U.S. teams skate the way they can, they should all be scoring much higher, across-the-board. In fact, Calalang/Johnson are the 2019 Warsaw Cup defending champions. Brain freezes by Jessica, or else her confidence has gone missing with all that she's been through recently. With T/M feeling the need to compete at this mostly second tier event, C/J at the least should be in second place, no lie. They would likely at least have made third without the unforgiveable spin error.

I will probably consider that spin error from Jessica more like a fluke. I think the bigger issue is that she bailed out on that 3S and that they continue to have issues with jumps.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I will probably consider that spin error from Jessica more like a fluke. I think the bigger issue is that she bailed out on that 3S and that they continue to have issues with jumps.
Of course, the sp error was a fluke. It still speaks of nerves, or of being off-kilter. Skaters at this level are trained to recover from catching an edge on a rut in the ice, or from losing their balance going into a spin. Sometimes they can't save it for sure, as happened to Jess, but it usually hints at not being in tune with oneself. In any case, as someone said earlier, we expect misses on the jumps by C/J. Albeit, they have landed their jumps in programs at more than one competition this season, so there's a bit of hope in that respect. But they've got to make landing their jumps less of a rarity. They are seeming to strategize around rethinking placement of their jumps in programs. I also noticed Mozer sitting in the kiss 'n cry with C/J and Jenni Meno. Too bad C/J couldn't raise their level at this less than deep event, particularly with Mozer by their side. We'll see how they do in the fp.

Jessica will hopefully put what happened in the sp aside, though I'm sure she looks at it as an unforgiveable error. Still nothing to beat oneself up over. Understand why it happened and move forward. Plus, they can surely see that even with the pop to a double jump by Jess, had they completed the rest of their program in good form as they normally do, then they could have placed second or third. C/J have too many great qualities to allow the problems with the jumps and other setbacks to prevent them from fulfilling their enormous and special talents. They have great speed and above average skating skills, along with bravura twist and lifts. They need to pump up confidence in themselves and regroup in a way that energizes. Think more outside-the-box and realize that they can rebuild with new ideas and a different approach that highlights their strengths. Stop with the same-old same-old that isn't working. Maybe even take a breather from the daily routine at their rink and gain some fresh outlooks. It's a positive that Mozer offers input, but I'm not sure of the form that takes, and how much Mozer has worked with them. They certainly need to get serious about improving the mental and physical aspects of landing those sbs jumps.

For example, Mozer has clearly helped Cain-G/LeDuc improve their weaknesses, but C-G/LD usually travel every year to Mozer's camps in Europe, in addition to staying in contact virtually.

Last edited: