2021 Gran Premio d'Italia: Men's Short Program | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2021 Gran Premio d'Italia: Men's Short Program

mrrice

Record Breaker
I haven't seen the performances yet but, I'm surprised to Mikhail down in 4th. Did he have a fall? He was my prediction to win this event. Oh well, still love him and wish him the best in the Free.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't seen the performances yet but, I'm surprised to Mikhail down in 4th. Did he have a fall? He was my prediction to win this event. Oh well, still love him and wish him the best in the Free.
Fall on solo 4T.

Overall a decent program, but that was enough. The top three were quite good.

icybear

Medalist
Did not expect Boyang to have a clean SP but YAY!! And also first place too! Only skater to land 2 quads and the most difficult of them all 4lz3t. Too bad he doesnt hold a Russian lady passport or else it would have been instant pcs cashback for the most difficult tech of the night. In fact I'm sure a Russian men, American, Japanese, Canadian maybe even France passport would have instant access to the bonus

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Boyang Jin - The italian feed said the entirety of team China was there in Italy for several weeks (with only Sui/Han that had to go to Skate Canada in the meantime) so they had plenty of time to prepare for this competition and between the pairs and Jin here we saw it today. I like the program, although it is a slightly reworked version of what he skated at the last Olympics.

Daniel Grassl - Finally! We always knew he was capable of these performances, so nice to see it in Torino, great comeback from Skate America. Jumps also looked cleaner here, spins great as always (one missed a level so there is still room for improvements)

Jun-hwan Cha - Amazing performance, i had him first in components, my favourite program here. Also for him the jumps were cleaner than in the past, he was known for the underrotations, i'm glad he fixed that.

Mikhail Kolyada - Shame for the 4toe, the rest was very good. He's an exceptional skater, but i think the program could be way better than this, i blame the composition in particular.

Deniss Vasiljevs - no quads but really cool style for the program, jumps were very solid, perhaps he could work more in the transitions with more difficult entries, the 3a a little telegraphed, the solo lutz not as difficult steps going in.

Horror section

Dmitri Aliev - he looked hesitant on the quad lutz, in fact i thought he was going to do a triple and maybe he thought about it too. The quad toe turned into a triple instead was a surprise, and the bad take off on the axel too. I think he lost focus after the fall, shame cause the program is really beautiful but he's throwing away chances, it's not the first time we see this from the russian mens. I hope he comes back strong in the free.

Yuma Kagiyama - This instead i think was more of a fluke. In practice he was foot perfect, here it all went wrong. Dare i say i don't love the program? I just don't think this is his style, they gave him the kind of program often canadian mens skate to, happy with a Bublé piece; the short from last season was a way better veichle for him in my opinion.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
🇨🇳 #BoyangJin #GPItaly "For today's competition I feel rather good. Here in Italy, I improved my psychology (since #AsianOpen) and the coaches care about me a lot. In this season, I hope I can continue to improve myself." Mr Yao joined his team this season and together with his parent coaches they have helped his confidence.

🇮🇹 #DanielGrassl #GPItaly "I was really excited about today. I skated for the people and I felt really positive and I really wanted to do a strong performance."

🇰🇷 #JunhwanCha #GPItaly "I'm really happy about my performance today. Though I had some mistakes at Asian Trophy, I really worked on my programs and it came out today. I'm satisfied."

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was, well unpredictable. Many inconsistent skaters of late (Grassl, Cha, Jin) pulled out great SPs and Yuma became a cactus, lol. Good for Deniss as well, but without a quad he will probably fall in the standings unless the FS is a splatfest.

I had to laugh when the DJ played The Cure's "Boys Don't Cry" after Aliev had that not so great outing. I am enjoying the DJ here, not the usual Top 40 nonsense you hear at Skate America. They also played the Suzanne Vega/DNA mix of "Tom's Diner" earlier. Haven't heard that in years and now it's an earworm. Da-da-da-da-da....

Country
Norway
Too bad Deniss is from a microcospic fed. His skate deserved 90+
Boyang deserved 100+
80+ is generous for Yuma's skate.
Deniss didn´t have a quad in his program, so I don´t think 90+ should come in question with that skate. Considering his layout, his score was quite high. He also had a deduction. Only person ho scores over 90 without a quad is Jason Brown, but we can agree on that Jason has better overall quality on the elements and far better presentation. It´s crazy if Deniss should have a similar score.

Country
Norway
Protocols are out: http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...------QUAL000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf
Deniss got GOE on his StSq ranging from -3 to +4 🙀
I guess thats because his stumble/fall on the end there. It counted as a fall and normally that would give negative GOE on step sequence. Some of the judges must have thought it wasn´t a fall, maybe just a little step out. I think when you make a mistake like that, you shouldn´t get a +4. Anything from -1- + 1 would make more sense, because you have to add up the positive thing before the negative.

s_parks

Record Breaker

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I guess thats because his stumble/fall on the end there. It counted as a fall and normally that would give negative GOE on step sequence. Some of the judges must have thought it wasn´t a fall, maybe just a little step out. I think when you make a mistake like that, you shouldn´t get a +4. Anything from -1- + 1 would make more sense, because you have to add up the positive thing before the negative.

One of the clusters also wasn't very good, in the italian feed they were saying the panel discussed whether to downgrade it to level 3 because of that..

withwings

On the Ice
Deniss didn´t have a quad in his program, so I don´t think 90+ should come in question with that skate. Considering his layout, his score was quite high. He also had a deduction. Only person ho scores over 90 without a quad is Jason Brown, but we can agree on that Jason has better overall quality on the elements and far better presentation. It´s crazy if Deniss should have a similar score.
Absolutely agree.
Also, there is nothing in Denis Latvian. Deniss is Russian. I doubt he even know Latvian language.