2021 Rostelecom Cup: Men's Short Program | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2021 Rostelecom Cup: Men's Short Program

rain

Record Breaker
Agreed. Roman was a lot better and had virtually the same score. Makes no sense. Regardless how well you are artistically, when you make two MAJOR errors, your PCS should go down way more than it does. Semenenko was also overscored. Arghhh!
The blatant overscoring for Kolyada is just so painful. Since when do you get to botch two jumping passes and do no combination in the SP and almost be in third place in a field that was by no means a disaster? Clearly they were trying to hold him far enough up that he has a chance to still win overall with a good LP. But it is completely unfair to Roman Sadovsky and Camden Pulkinen, to name the two closest skaters to where he now sits. Roman's performance here was clearly far better than Kolyada's, yet they are basically tied. And Kolyada is ahead of Camden. This is the kind of thing that gives skating such a bad name, and makes people like me side-eye the Russian federation so cynically. I haven't seen such blatant unfairness in the men's in a while. I'm sorry he had a bad day, but that SP should have buried Kolyada well back in the field.

Anyway, I'm thrilled for Roman, who I think really needed this to boost his position with Skate Canada in the competition for the second men's spot to the Olympics. I have all my fingers and toes crossed for a good LP as well. He is just the most elegant skater competing today.

I appreciated Morisi's salesmanship in the footwork sequence. It was entertaining.

The Japanese federation is just flooded with great men this season, who all seem to be stepping up when it counts. I think Kagiyama is a lock for the Olympic team, as is likely Hanyu, if he's healthy enough. And I still think the third spot is probably Shoma's, but there is so much depth!

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Okay, this whole thing with a full blade is poor technique, it doesn't change the mechanics of the jump.

People use this argument all the time saying a full blade "pick" on a flip or lutz makes the jump more like a loop, which it does not.

It's super sketchy technique don't get me wrong, and yes, he's probably the skater who most has his salchow and toe techniques similar to each other, but I don't think it's so egregious that he needs to be hugely dinged on it. The mechanics of each jump are still different enough. If he didn't lift his left foot after the LFO-LBI 3turn then, yes, I would say it would be a case for "repeating an element" but there's enough of a difference IMO.
It's not just full blade, where he prerotates on a blade.
He is travelling backwards on the blade for a small amount of time, before he is actually taking off identical to the way he takes off for a salchow.
He hooks it exactly the same as a salchow afterwards.

For me, it's not enough difference if he did lift, and unlike every other competition I've seen him at up till now, I don't think he truly lifted- I think he coasted with toe resting between ice.

When you have exactly the same entrance, takeoff, landing - the only difference being lifting foot and placing it back down - I'd say its the same jump.

With flip and lutz vs loop you can consider different approach, entrance etc as part of mechanics. Here it's identical.
In flip-lutz where they use full blade, its usually just prerotation done on the blade. Here he glides backwards on the blade a few cm.
If you look at his pass though leg, it's also delayed here compared to normal (comparing to previous seasons europeans - or even last gp).

As far as I'm concerned, this guy just got away with doing two quad salchows. And I think this sends the wrong message about the sport.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Coming in very late. Wow. Men are Men. Nice to see Camden had a good day.

I know the jumps weren't there for Kolyada, but I love the program. He really should stick to balletic programs. They suit him so well. I love his line and carriage.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I watched men later at yesterday night and went to sleep right after it, because I was at work during the competition. I thought to begin an own thread to the edge concentrating this, but it may spoil if somebody has not seen the competition yet. Is the pressure on, or it is lack of last year's competitions, because so many top men made so many huge errors? Pressure to go to GPF or to get a spot at Olympics, if there are more skaters/federation as a candidate for spot than federation has? Even it was not only men, but because this is men's thread, lets talk about them. Men are men as somebody said above me, but so huge errors and so many?

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I watched men later at yesterday night and went to sleep right after it, because I was at work during the competition. I thought to begin an own thread to the edge concentrating this, but it may spoil if somebody has not seen the competition yet. Is the pressure on, or it is lack of last year's competitions, because so many top men made so many huge errors? Pressure to go to GPF or to get a spot at Olympics, if there are more skaters/federation as a candidate for spot than federation has? Even it was not only men, but because this is men's thread, lets talk about them. Men are men as somebody said above me, but so huge errors and so many?
Honestly after following the guys for a few years, I think it's just stochastic...
Oddly I still found the men here pretty enjoyable. In both the struggler/surprise leader categories, there are watchable people with decent skating skills and nice programmes.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I think there is some Home crowd pressure for the russian men.
It's difficult when they have such high expectations for them (like home crowd clean sweep)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Will those who succeeded well now, do it in the freeskate as well? Or does this podium change in the freeskate completely?

Last edited:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
No small medals at GPF and JGPF (same as for GPs and JGPs).

Small medals are given at Four Continents as well as Worlds, Junior Worlds, and Euros.

cc: @Seven Sisters
Well, Roman deserves a medal for his showing at this competition. I’m incredibly proud of him for staying on his feet throughout both programs, finishing fourth, and even increasing his technical content. Well done, sir!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm not sure what others think, as I haven't re.ad through this entire thread. But my impressions upon watching the men's short program is how the crowd tends to be lukewarm to skaters who are not Russian. In general, after performances, there is more warmth sometimes for skaters who are not Russian who perform well (likely from Russian fans of particular non-Russian skaters, and often fans who travel to the event from other countries). Japan, Canada, the U.S., and some European countries, such as France and Italy, are usually very warm and welcoming audiences to all the skaters (especially the first three countries).

As usual, the scores were very generous to homegrown Russians, and to Eteri's Morris K. It was pretty awful how nasty Eteri was to the young Russian male who skated first and had a terrible showing. He must have been quite nervous to have skated so poorly. Regarding the other performances, I truly enjoyed Kazuki Tomono, and he deserves to be in first place. While Morris K, is generally competitive, I don't think he has exceptional aesthetic qualities that would warrant him being placed so high in the scoring. Especially in view of the fact that some of Morris K's jump landings were debatably URs, or close to being URs. I side-eye Morris K. being placed so close in the scoring with Tomono, who has much better aesthetics and performance qualities than Morris K (who strikes me as a skilled skater, but often hit-or-miss, and with more of a journeyman quality, and without any remarkable artistic talent). Quite clearly, the judges pumped up Morris' score because he's coached by Eteri. A good skate by Morris K for sure, but even if they did decide not to downgrade any of his jumps, the 95 score is overly generous.

Meanwhile, boy did the judges have it in for Mateo Rizzo. Of course, Mateo did not do himself any favors, when the path was very open for him to hit a high score in the sp, skating last. The pressure clearly got to Mateo. In fact, a number of guys in the second group succumbed to pressure, especially Kolyada and Semenenko, skating at home. Conversely to what happened to Matteo, both Kolyada and Semenenko were absolutely given overly high scores for the mistakes they made. I think Semenenko should have placed behind Brendan Kerry! Brendan is a much more aesthetically pleasing skater, and he didn't make as poor mistakes.

The over-score for Kolyada is soooo home-cooking. But the Russian fed wields clout and attitude like nobody's business. And nobody is going to do anything about this scoring unfairness, except likely try to justify it. No way! Kolyada is just backing himself into a corner with his inability to live up to his talent competitively. He's so gifted, and yet he makes silly mistakes, all the time. The fact that he has exceptional qualities does NOT make up for the errors that happened here, which is probably his worst performance this season. Good grief, it was embarrassing to witness the over-favoritism in Kolyada's sp marks. It provides Kolyada with room in the fp to make up for his sp bonehead errors. Kolyada should not be in front of Camden Pulkinen (who surprisingly skated nearly a clean program without the major errors he's been prone to recently). Camden completed his tech, and he's also an excellent skater aesthetically, so there's no excuse for Kolyada being placed in front of Pulkinen, aside from egregious political and rep scoring. Would that Kolyada could ever skate as clean as Camden did in the sp, with only a silly step-out by Camden on the second jump in his combo pass.

A nice showing by Roman Sadovsky, who is an elegant skater, lovely to watch. But Roman (not unlike Camden) has been making errors in his recent comps. I suppose Roman has perhaps made less errors than Camden overall. Both are aesthetically-pleasing skaters, but Roman is a current Canadian national champion, so I would attribute that rep and whatever subjective preference to Camden being placed behind Roman, with only a slight step-out, while Roman turned out on two of his jumping passes.

Oh well, the stage is set for an interesting men's free program. But GAG, GAG, GAG re some of the scoring here. 🤮