2022-23 US Ice Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2022-23 US Ice Dance

Weathergal

Medalist
Hmm maybe Jeffery Chen will team up with a certain Ms. Nguyen.
I really liked the duo of her with Grigory Smirmov (I enjoyed him with his former Russian partner as well). Unfortunately they didn't have too many competitions before he got injured and ultimately retired. It is really a shame she doesn't have a partner if she'd still like to continue.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I really liked the duo of her with Grigory Smirmov (I enjoyed him with his former Russian partner as well). Unfortunately they didn't have too many competitions before he got injured and ultimately retired. It is really a shame she doesn't have a partner if she'd still like to continue.
ITA I thought she was a very precocious and gifted jr. And yes they were a really good team. I would love to see her with a new partner - an equally talented one.

theblade

On the Ice
(Cross-posting from the Junior Worlds thread.)

Very much looking forward to seeing what happens in ice dancing. The US is fielding some interesting competitors that could play spoilers, although the top three teams (CAN, CZE, KOR) are strong, well-prepared, and all with fantastic free dances.

The battle for bronze is huge, because of this junior worlds being the determining competition for the Youth Olympic Games next January in Korea. For the US, in 2012 Parsons/Parsons were 4th; in 2016 Lewis/Bye earned a YOG silver medal; in 2020, Wolfkostin/Chen earned a bronze medal. Only 12 teams compete in the ice dance portion of each YOG, and the US has sent one team each time. In 2012, Russia sent two teams. In 2016, both Russia and Ukraine sent two teams. In 2020, both Russia and Canada sent two teams.

The interesting thing is that none of the top competitors (from CAN, CZE, KOR, USA) can compete in the upcoming games due to the age restrictions (must be between 15 and 18 years of age by 31 December 2024, even though the games take place at the beginning of the year in January). So, IMHO, a very high-stakes week for federations in terms of YOG placements.

theblade

On the Ice
Pham/Rogers, US juniors who had many good qualities and elegant numbers this season, have broken up.

Not sure about Jonathan's future skate plans, but Vanessa wishes to continue. (My guess is the obvious option of trying with Jeffrey Chen.)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pham/Rogers, US juniors who had many good qualities and elegant numbers this season, have broken up.

Not sure about Jonathan's future skate plans, but Vanessa wishes to continue. (My guess is the obvious option of trying with Jeffrey Chen.)
Oh NO. I had adopted them last year.

theblade

On the Ice
Yes, it's hard to see teams not continue when they have worked so hard for several years. Making it to seniors intact, and staying together, is hard.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm surprised the newly formed partnership of Wolfkostin/ Tsarevski is not being discussed in this thread. It has been mentioned in the 'retirements and new partnerships' thread. But this would be the perfect place to have a discussion, as their pairing will surely impact the senior ice dance scene going forward. They are training with MIDA in Detroit. Katarina posted about her new prospects twice on Instagram. Here's her most recent entry:

ZeldaJo21

Rinkside
I'm surprised the newly formed partnership of Wolfkostin/ Tsarevski is not being discussed in this thread. It has been mentioned in the 'retirements and new partnerships' thread. But this would be the perfect place to have a discussion, as their pairing will surely impact the senior ice dance scene going forward. They are training with MIDA in Detroit. Katarina posted about her new prospects twice on Instagram. Here's her most recent entry:

Ok where do I even start on this pairing! Let’s begin with how Dimitry suddenly left his dance partner Isabella with no word of his whereabouts. They had a very close working relationship and had a very bright future ahead of them in the skating world! He suddenly disappeared and Isabella was distraught trying to find him on social media. Now he suddenly shows up and is in a new skating partnership with Katarina. Very confusing little bit of history…..good luck to Kat! Glad that Isabella has found a stable partnership with Ivan…….they look very promising together!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Yes @ZeldaJo21, this was discussed a bit in the other thread. I had said, and Katarina's recent comments seem to evidence, that Dimitry apparently truly desired to continue competing, but something mysterious and unknown occurred that kept him from continuing, or forced him to stop for awhile. It's unclear, but hopefully he's explained at least some of it satisfactorily to his new partner and coaches. I can't imagine them going forward without assurances that he's truly committed to pursuing a competitive career.

I'm not sure, but perhaps Dima saw how well Isabella has bounced back and that she's doing so well with Ivan Desyatov. Maybe her resilience and success in the face of despair, somehow helped Dima to overcome his struggles and inspired his return? Who knows?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Sharing the latest news from Bella & Vanya in this thread. They are trying to raise money, needed to obtain Vanya's release. This news was initially posted and discussed in Country/ Coach Switch thread:

Direct link to their gofundme page:

They have been thanking their supporters, and fortunately are now halfway to reaching the amount needed to surmount the obstacles confronting them. Support from the skating community has been tremendous, as news of their dilemma has spread. Fingers-crossed that they will be able to move forward and compete internationally this fall. 🤞💫

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Please post in the 2023-24 thread here: