2022 CS US International FS Classic Men's Free Skate | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2022 CS US International FS Classic Men's Free Skate

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Asking for accurate judging doesn't mean someone was offend by a performance. I admire both Ilya and Kevin. I just wish the judges accurately rewarded each for their different strengths. That didn't really happen here but , it didn't change the final result so it's nothing to be too offended about.
Correct. Its not the placement, its just Kevin's score is too low. He would still be in second but by 12 points, not 21.

And who is judge 1?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Ilia should have won. But Kevin's scores were too low. That was at least a 160 skate.
I don't know. Looking at the protocols, there is a 40 point TES gap. Yes. 40 points.

And, looking at how each element was scored, I can see exactly why. It's really not a mystery when it's laid out in black and white.

Compounding the issue of the 30 point deficit in base value, Kevin had five of seven jumping passes with negative GOE.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I am so *censored* happy right now....I'm going to have a hard time falling asleep.
I haven't been following skating news (trying to get back into it) so I only saw his SP and how upset he was. I didn't expect him to try the 4A today so it was a completely delightful surprise for me!!!

I was just hoping he wouldn't crash and burn today!!!

readernick

Medalist
I don't know. Looking at the protocols, there is a 40 point TES gap. Yes. 40 points.

And, looking at how each element was scored, I can see exactly why. It's really not a mystery when it's laid out in black and white.

Compounding the issue of the 30 point deficit in base value, Kevin had five of seven jumping passes with negative GOE.
No doubt. But, the difference in performance, choreography, and SS (to a certain degree.. he has better SS than Ilya but it isn't Kevin's major strength) is as great as the TES difference between them. The scores should also reflect that. Giving Ilya higher PCS than Camden is also very very questionable. SS-wise there is no comparison. Or , higher PCS marks than Jimmy Ma. He really deserved the same PCS score as Gogolev and Kevin deserved higher PR and Choreo marks. Yes, the final placement is fair. But, the scores aren't. (and I like Ilya. He's got a cute smile and incredible spins and jump technique. )

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
and most importantly of all:

A comp with the men's SP and FS, with skaters I want to see, *IN MY TIME ZONE*

:dance3:

Because yes, it is all about me:laugh:

Now if only Peacock would have replays, what the actual bleep is that?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
and most importantly of all:

A comp with the men's SP and FS, with skaters I want to see, *IN MY TIME ZONE*

:dance3:

Because yes, it is all about me:laugh:

Now if only Peacock would have replays, what the actual bleep is that?
We have to find out who at USFS to complain to and do so.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No doubt. But, the difference in performance, choreography, and SS (to a certain degree.. he has better SS than Ilya but it isn't Kevin's major strength) is as great as the TES difference between them. The scores should also reflect that. Giving Ilya higher PCS than Camden is also very very questionable. SS-wise there is no comparison. Or , higher PCS marks than Jimmy Ma. He really deserved the same PCS score as Gogolev and Kevin deserved higher PR and Choreo marks. Yes, the final placement is fair. But, the scores aren't. (and I like Ilya. He's got a cute smile and incredible spins and jump technique. )

If Kevin's program had been a minute shorter, I'd concede your point handily. But the last minute of that seemed really labored. I thought he ran out of gas... which is why I made an early comment (before scores) that I wasn't sure it would hold up. And I thought there would be a significant TES gap, but not that large, at least in real time.

I like both these guys, and it's hard to be totally objective when discussing skaters we like. While I definitely enjoyed Kevin's program better than Ilia's, let's not pretend it was the second coming of John Curry. It was OK. Not fantastic. Just OK. And that's fine for where we are at this point in the season.

Honestly, I thought all the programs were just OK. So I'm not expending energy defending any of what I saw tonight.

I will say Camden's program held the most interest for me, so good for him.