2022 CS US International FS Classic Men's Free Skate | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2022 CS US International FS Classic Men's Free Skate

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Ilia should have won. But Kevin's scores were too low. That was at least a 160 skate.
Kevin needed 173.77 in the FS to beat Ilia. 160 wouldn't have done it.
Kevin's second 4t was < as was his 3lo, and he got 3feq+eu+2s on his final jump.
Kevin's total TES was 69.73, 38.96 lower than Ilia's; Ilia had no < or q and just one fall.
Kevin beat Ilia in PCS, but only by 5.17.

readernick

Medalist
I like both these guys, and it's hard to be totally objective when discussing skaters we like. While I definitely enjoyed Kevin's program better than Ilia's, let's not pretend it was the second coming of John Curry. It was OK. Not fantastic. Just OK. And that's fine for where we are at this point in the season.
I like them both but I'm not a particular fan of either. Kevin isn't the second coming of John Curry, no. He isn't trying to be. He is depicting modern dance on the ice better than any other currently competing singles skater though. I think PCS when accurately judged isn't nearly as subjective as some people pretend it is. SS are really a technical skill. The bullet points under choreography and presentation are quite clear. My liking or not liking a performance doesn't really change whether these things are done well. So, objectively, I don't think you can argue that Ilya demonstrated the second best PCS here or that the choreography of Aymoz's program wasn't the best.
As far as personal taste, Camden's program was also my favorite. So, I agree with you here. But, I'll admit to being biased toward him in a way I'm not biased to either Aymoz or Ilya. So, I won't say he deserved the highest marks except in SS where he does objectively shine and wasn't properly rewarded.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kevin's second 4t was < as was his 3lo, and he got 3feq+eu+2s on his final jump.
Kevin's total TES was 69.73, 38.96 lower than Ilia's; Ilia had no < or q and just one fall.

I don't think the point is that with 160, Kevin would have scored higher than Ilia or would have won the comp.

The point is, (and I do not want to speak for @Jeanie19, so from my point of view) that Kevin's skate deserved 160. And if that placed him 1st, 2nd ot 85th, no matter, that's what he should have been scored.

The actual gap in PCS, from my POV again, should have been more than five points. This has to do with scoring, not placement.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like them both but I'm not a particular fan of either. Kevin isn't the second coming of John Curry, no. He isn't trying to be. He is depicting modern dance on the ice better than any other currently competing singles skater though. I think PCS when accurately judged isn't nearly as subjective as some people pretend it is. SS are really a technical skill. The bullet points under choreography and presentation are quite clear. My liking or not liking a performance doesn't really change whether these things are done well. So, objectively, I don't think you can argue that Ilya demonstrated the second best PCS here or that the choreography of Aymoz's program wasn't the best.
As far as personal taste, Camden's program was also my favorite. So, I agree with you here. But, I'll admit to being biased toward him in a way I'm not biased to either Aymoz or Ilya. So, I won't say he deserved the highest marks except in SS where he does objectively shine and wasn't properly rewarded.
Not in absolute agreement, but your position is fairly stated.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Ilia so I'm fine with the placement, just 152 is too low for Kevin's free skate.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Please tell me that Kevin looks happy.
Ran out of battery and so couldn’t reply to this in real time, but yes, Kevin seemed happy! After the ceremony Ilia and Camden were posing with American flags for pictures and I motioned a USFS person over to offer Kevin the French flag I’d flown for him. He proudly posed with it alone, with Sylvia Fontana, and with some young admirers at the boards. I heard through the rink grapevine that it had meant a lot to him, so I am very pleased to have contributed to his happiness in some small way.

BTW Camden also sweetly and patiently posed for pictures with young fans after the ceremony. A lovely and gracious young man.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is exactly what I thought would happen. I love Kevin and I think his skating is very complete. It's in the tech department that I knew a clean Illia would overtake the field. His season is truly in his own hands. He skates well, he wins. Until he gets up against the Japanese Men, I can't see him losing as long as he skates well.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I wrote this yesterday but forgot to post it. But it still applies.

IIya Quad God (and Leapfrog God) reigns supreme. Happy Camden is on the medal stand. Sad Jimmy isn't but he was third in the FS. Happy Kevin medalled but I think this program is subdued by his (French) standards. :biggrin: