2022 NHK Trophy Women's Short Program | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2022 NHK Trophy Women's Short Program

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I'm sorry, I know everyone loves Sakamoto, but there was nothing about that program that should beat Yelim Kim's stunning skate. She was tight on the jumps and has never been particularly graceful. Speed good as usual. But this should be Kim's
Agreed, but there was no way she was going to beat Kim Yelim. She had too many mistakes. I would even have had her below Sumiyoshi.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Ok, gonna do some frantic GPF math and then (try) to crash for a bit, I'm sad to miss Dance but had to sacrifice something since I have an appointment tomorrow morning and I don't want to pass out during Men.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sadly I didn't get to see all of Yelim's skate due to my internet disconnecting at the exact wrong time on this laptop. :( Will have to rewatch...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was planning to work tonight... yeah.. i know... i already worked 12 hours today... but i have a huge thing to do and the deadline is coming soon.. but i am here... oops... :) will see you for RD but will definitely not watch men... too bad as my son will be there

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
When they showed the slow motion of Yelim Kim's skate I was mesmerized by how graceful and flowing Yelim looked in slow motion. I had not really watched the slomos of the other skaters so I can't compare Yelim to anyone else but I was sure impressed by her.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
North Americans are handicapped in pronouncing Japanese, the vowels are so different, and I assume Ted isn't much of a linguist. But still.
It's not just Japanese. He butchers Russian names, Canadian, and even American names too, and probably everyone else. It drives me crazy and the only hope is that he is not getting paid well for this gig. If he is getting a decent paycheck, then he should be called out for his utter lack of professionalism and frankly shouldn't have the job IMO. I've thought about contacting him and letting him know how offensive he is to professionals by his pathetic inattention to detail and total lack of preparation and effort. It's sweet that he's a "nice guy" and doesn't rip apart the skaters (even if they deserve it...), but like I said, if this is a professional gig he is an absolute failure and trainwreck. Try to educate the viewers, and pronounce the names as they are called in their native tongue. Tennis commentators are just as bad. It was so cringe when commentators would say Maria Share-uh-POH-vuh, when it's Sha-RAHP-oh-vah. I'm a retired professor and educator and I would be embarassed if I was so lax about my responsibility to accurately educate people. Let's make this world more educated about other cultures and stop being lazy and dumbing down the world.

Rant mode off. lol

liv

Record Breaker
Poor Ted. I find it amusing how he butchers names. He admits how terrible he is, has apologized over it. Some people just aren't good at these things. There was a boy in my class who could not pronounce Gretzky, no matter how hard he tried. It came out Greksky, each time, for years... sometimes you cannot improve no matter how you try... My last name is very unusual, not anglo, and I just enjoy people's attempts at it because even members of the family say it differently unless they're actually speaking our language. I skip over it and laugh. There are many things far worse than an internet part time skating commentator butchering names. But hey, different strokes for different folks. :)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Poor Ted. I find it amusing how he butchers names. He admits how terrible he is, has apologized over it. Some people just aren't good at these things. There was a boy in my class who could not pronounce Gretzky, no matter how hard he tried. It came out Greksky, each time, for years... sometimes you cannot improve no matter how you try... My last name is very unusual, not anglo, and I just enjoy people's attempts at it because even members of the family say it differently unless they're actually speaking our language. I skip over it and laugh. There are many things far worse than an internet part time skating commentator butchering names. But hey, different strokes for different folks. :)
Well, yes, war in Ukraine is far worse than Ted butchering names, so what exactly is the point of your post? The point is that he is paid to do commentary on skaters, even if he is just "an internet part time skating commentator" to you, and he won't bother to learn how to even show respect to the skaters and pronounce their names correctly. But you want to be sarcastic, so yeah, different strokes for different folks I guess. It takes diff'rent strokes to rule the world, yes it does.... But hey, you do you. *eyeroll*

Last edited:

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hiya Golden Skaters!

:)

Sorry I missed the events, I was asleep, and still dealing with the stomach bug!

Is there anywhere to watch vids of the performances? Sooo pleased to see that Starr did well!

snd

On the Ice
yeliiiimmmmmm!

i hope her team can fix her spin/stsq levels

nd i hope she won't get lowballed in the fs