2022 NHK Trophy Women's Short Program | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2022 NHK Trophy Women's Short Program

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am thrilled to see Audrey and Starr in the 6 after the SP. Hopefully Amber will have a strong free Program. She certainly has the scoring potential to move up during the free. Good Luck Tomorrow Ladies!!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
How Wi & Ji are behind Andrews, I will never understand.
Scores this season. 🤷‍♀️

And, frankly, not the strongest competition on the GP circuit either… so maybe doing a solid 3T-3T is simply good enough. Better music too, vs usual mellow dirges.

Last edited:

Dawn825

Medalist
I'm so sad for Amber, her SP at SkAm was sensational, I was really hoping she would follow it up here. Hoping for a good FS.
Sad for Rinka as well, but she came back fighting in Canada so fingers crossed she can do the same tonight. No offense to Rion but I hope she doesn't keep Rinka off the podium, I much prefer Rinka and want her confident going in to the final.
Nice moment for Audrey but especially Starr! If she skates clean again tomorrow she'll look like a real contender for the World team, which would be incredible for her.
Yelim was lovely of course, I'm this season is giving her and others the chance to shine. She has such wonderful poise and lightness. The combo was a q though, I thought it was pretty clear in real time.
I hate to say it, bec I'm rooting for Kaori as much as anyone, but she was really held up here. I'd have called 3/4 jumps UR and given her lutz a massive E. Her PCS is obviously top tier, but the technical for this program was out of the top 6 IMO. I can understand the enourmous pressure she was under here and hope she still wins tonight. Was I imagining things or was her knee taped?

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I'm so sad for Amber, her SP at SkAm was sensational, I was really hoping she would follow it up here. Hoping for a good FS.
Sad for Rinka as well, but she came back fighting in Canada so fingers crossed she can do the same tonight. No offense to Rion but I hope she doesn't keep Rinka off the podium, I much prefer Rinka and want her confident going in to the final.
Nice moment for Audrey but especially Starr! If she skates clean again tomorrow she'll look like a real contender for the World team, which would be incredible for her.
Yelim was lovely of course, I'm this season is giving her and others the chance to shine. She has such wonderful poise and lightness. The combo was a q though, I thought it was pretty clear in real time.
I hate to say it, bec I'm rooting for Kaori as much as anyone, but she was really held up here. I'd have called 3/4 jumps UR and given her lutz a massive E. Her PCS is obviously top tier, but the technical for this program was out of the top 6 IMO. I can understand the enourmous pressure she was under here and hope she still wins tonight. Was I imagining things or was her knee taped?
I hate to say it, but my main fear tomorrow is that if Starr medals tomorrow, she will qualify to GPF. You guys probably think I am harsh, but she just doesn't belong there. If she q's, then she would be the weakest skater in a GPF final ever.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yelim was the best! That was her best short program and I’m glad she was rewarded.
My fave performance was Rion. But, she has been one of my favourites for some time now. I would have had her in second place. I love her artistry. She had some nice showdowns domestically versus Rinka. So, it will interesting to see who comes out on top. Rinka is good, but, inconsistent. Rion is consistently inconsistent. She skates five good jumps and screws up on two. But, she has skated above her average this GP season. I hope she finally lands that 4T. It would be amazing if she lands it when it matters.
Kaori, something is off. She seems to be all over the place with her triples. I hope she hangs on and stays on the podium.
All this hate towards Starr, makes me like her more. She has skated three clean programs so far. Will she skate the fourth one cleanly, when a spot is up for grabs.
Wi, is now my favourite Korean
Amber is mentally a mess of a skater. I expect her to skate cleanly now that she is out of contention.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All this hate towards Starr, makes me like her more. She has skated three clean programs so far. Will she skate the fourth one cleanly, when a spot is up for grabs.
I feel the same way! Starr looked sensational at Skate Canada. It's wonderful to see someone who has struggled for so long doing so well! I have to admit, she also happened to be on my same flight home. I wished her good luck in the security line and will continue to wish her good luck in the free skate. 😉

readernick

Medalist
How Wi & Ji are behind Andrews, I will never understand.
She actually performs and is a much much better spinner. Look at her GOE ( very low) on jumps vs spins and steps. That's where she is getting her GOE. Wi and Ji don't have any performance quality yet. However, jump wise they really are the class the of the field. Especially, Ji. Her jumps are incredible. The rest of her skating isn't going to yield high GOEs and PCS marks though.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I hate to say it, but my main fear tomorrow is that if Starr medals tomorrow, she will qualify to GPF. You guys probably think I am harsh, but she just doesn't belong there. If she q's, then she would be the weakest skater in a GPF final ever.
I think if Starr wins a Medal, it would be thrilling for her and her fans. She's in her 20's now and is no longer the "Whip My Hair" little girl. This is the season that she dreamed of as a young skater and it may not happen again. Get It Starr!!!! :cheer2: :hap10:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think if Starr wins a Medal, it would be thrilling for her and her fans. She's in her 20's now and is no longer the "Whip My Hair" little girl. This is the season that she dreamed of as a young skater and it may not happen again. Get It Starr!!!! :cheer2: :hap10:
I agree. I am not particularly fond of Starr nor do I care whether or not she qualifies... BUT if she does earn her spot for GPF, you gotta give it to her for doing her best, believing in herself, following her dreams. etc

I WISH THIS for ALL skaters !

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I agree. I am not particularly fond of Starr nor do I care whether or not she qualifies... BUT if she does earn her spot for GPF, you gotta give it to her for doing her best, believing in herself, following her dreams. etc

I WISH THIS for ALL skaters !
Even those not allowed to compete? And Young You?

I actually think if she qualifies, it would be an appropriate symbol for this season. Both for those two revel in it and who abhor it. If she wins GPF, even better. She is truly iconic for what is happening. World Champion 2022-2023. Yup, that sounds about right under new rules.

So, yeah, go ahead Starr Andrews. It’s 100% your kind of season. Win GPF! It’s for you!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Even those not allowed to compete?

I actually think if she qualifies, it would be an appropriate symbol for this season. Both for those two revel in it and who abhor it. She is truly iconic for what is happening.
I think I have made it clear that I believe the ban is necessary...So, if I do feel sad for them, I am not even thinking much about them at this point and focusing on the skaters who are competing. Plenty to enjoy as it is for all sorts of reasons.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think I have made it clear that I believe the ban is necessary...So, if I do feel sad for them, I am not even thinking about much about them at this point and focusing on the skaters who are competing. Plenty to enjoy as it is for all sorts of reasons.
Nothing so far… all I see is that the figure skating is gutted and a pale shadow of just a year ago.

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
If Rinka doesn't podium it won't be because of Rion, it'll be because of Rinka herself
Both girls tend to be inconsistent
I'm just wishing for both to perform their best in the FS

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nothing so far… all I see is that the figure skating is gutted and a pale shadow of just a year ago.
maybe you need another perspective. I enjoy that every competition might produce a new star...that there are movements in the rankings from SP to LP... it's exciting to bomb the prediction games because results are not so obvious...

agree to disagree but I am surprising myself enjoying this season oh soooo very much !

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
maybe you need another perspective. I enjoy that every competition might produce a new star...that there are movements in the rankings from SP to LP... it's exciting to bomb the prediction games because results are not so obvious...

agree to disagree but I am surprising myself enjoying this season oh soooo very much !
I would agree if they actually produced stars, but all that happens is a better televised Tier B with those who haven’t retired skating half-as-good, and those who previously qualified putting out the same thing they always did. And the judging panels swinging from uber-critical to permissive between lacklustre performances. Because I don’t think they even know how to judge this. And also carefully looking at everything in prediction contests but never really getting anywhere is annoying.

This GP is so far, ‘some did better in placement, but not in actual performance’.

There was no outstanding women’s performances. They are all weak tea.

Last edited: