2022 Olympic Entries | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympic Entries

princecharming

Rinkside
It´s not just to "produce" a negative test after having covid, even as asymptomatic. It sounds great in theory but it´s not. There are already a couple of nations reporting they are having problems that athletes who recently had covid and tested negative before departure tested positive in China because of the higher threshold test. I know they are in dialoge with IOC about those cases and how they can be solved, but there hasn´t been any solution yet.
Seriously, scrap the whole bloody thing, it's such a stupid way to deal with things. What is the overall purpose here?! To allow China to win all medals?

princecharming

Rinkside
What happened to Rika Kihira and howcome she's not here? Also, why isn't Mai Mihara here given her 4CC victory?

I also don't get South Korea's choices for the women's competition.

princecharming

Rinkside
I totally agree with the above statement, and believe that it's actually very good news for the country of Lithuania and the future of Lithuanian figure skating that they will be sending Paulina R./Deividas K. instead of Reed/Ambrulevicius. Here's why...
There's a long history of non-Lithuanian female ice dancers skating with LTU males and attempting to get the citizenship for the Olympics, of which most attempts were denied. Lithuania is one of those countries where getting citizenship is by law, very difficult. In the past, American Isabella Tobias, who skated with a LTU ice dancer, tried also to obtain LTU citizenship. In preparation for the citizenship application, she took years of Lithuanian language classes, took and passed the history/citizenship test given by the LTU Citizenship Commission (all answers had to be answered verbally in Lithuanian), and passed the language test. Tobias also was very loved by the Lithuanian people and press. In fact, the Lithuanian people rallied, protested, and obtained many signatures on a petition on her behalf as a way to persuade the President to give her citizenship to compete in the Olympics! Tobias also obtained a Lithuanian lawyer during this process. Reed, on the other hand, has done none of this. It also does not help Reed's case that she has competed for the country of Georgia in the 2010 Olympics and has skated for Israel. After Tobias obtained citizenship and competed in the 2014 Olympics for LTU, her Lithuanian partner retired. Then Tobias skated for Israel with another man, and her Lithuanian citizenship was stripped from her in 2016. The Lithuanian public reacted to this in anger and betrayal due to all they had done to support and rally for Tobias. Lithuania still remembers this incident, which is probably another reason citizenship was not granted to Reed. The sad part about this is that Reed/Ambrulevicius didn't seem to do anything to prepare for citizenship application, besides just skate and visit the country. Sadly, it seems they didn't fully understand the citizenship laws of the country they skated for. Unless the citizenships laws of Lithuania change, this will be an ongoing problem. The solution? Sending the younger, full blooded Lithuanian ice dance team of Paulina/Deividas. They will be making history as the first true Lithuanian ice dance team to compete at the Olympics. THIS will be good for Lithuania. This will inspire LITHUANIAN skaters! Hopefully this will break the heartbreaking cycle where the female is continuously denied citizenship and move forward where the male/female of an ice dance time are both Lithuanian! In the short term, this is a harsh reality, but long term, this is actually what's best for the country and LTU skating.
I think you are quite blind to the whole situation.

What you are saying is that your young Lithuanian ice dancers are going to the Olympics based on the merits and hard work of another team that fought rightfully to go to the Olympics.

This shouldn't inspire anyone. I feel very sad for Alison and her partner. They should have been advised sooner of this situation.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
What happened to Rika Kihira and howcome she's not here? Also, why isn't Mai Mihara here given her 4CC victory?

I also don't get South Korea's choices for the women's competition.
Kihira hasen't cometed at all this season due to injuries, Mihara didn't place in top 3 at nationals. South Korean ladies, on the other hand, placed on the podium at national, that usually wordwide is one fo the criteria to be selected for the olympic and national team.
Wait seriously? How did this happen?
Allison Reed didn't meet the requirements for getting Lituanian citizenship, that, as any other citizenship, doesn't get given away like candies

Country
Norway
He is the first German athlete with a positive test. And it has to be one of my favorite pairs teams. :(
I know, Minerva and Nolan are one my favorite too :( I have been looking much forward to see them. I hope there is a chance of false positive or that he will be out and ready for the single events. But if he has to stay in quarantine for a long time he will miss a lot of practice :(

Ziotic

Medalist
He is the first German athlete with a positive test. And it has to be one of my favorite pairs teams. :(
This is such a tough spot since they likely would be cleared for the individual event, but if they sub in for the team event it means they are out of the individual as well.

As Germany has little to no chance of a medal it makes me wonder if they forgo their pairs spot in the team event and take the 0

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
I know, Minerva and Nolan are one my favorite too :( I have been looking much forward to see them. I hope there is a chance of false positive or that he will be out and ready for the single events. But if he has to stay in quarantine for a long time he will miss a lot of practice :(
I really hope that doesn´t mean the German team is completely out of the team event. If they manage to get top 8 Paul Fentz would get his financial support back. He recently lost it because fed didn´t see any improvements from him.

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
This is such a tough spot since they likely would be cleared for the individual event, but if they sub in for the team event it means they are out of the individual as well.

As Germany has little to no chance of a medal it makes me wonder if they forgo their pairs spot in the team event and take the 0
The team event would be pretty important for the German athletes considering financial support.

Country
Norway
I really hope that doesn´t mean the German team is completely out of the team event. If they manage to get top 8 Paul Fentz would get his financial support back. He recently lost it because fed didn´t see any improvements from him.
And he would miss his whole Olympic experience this time since he is doing only Team Event. I´m sad to hear that he might not get financial support :( Lets cross our fingers and hope for the best.

Country
Norway
Yes, you can do the team event as long as you can enter in three of the four events. However you take a zero points in the event where you don't enter, so it's obviously a big disadvantage.
Well at least that is good news. Then Paul Fentz could still be able to compete. All though it will be a lot of points lost :/