2022 Olympic Entries | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympic Entries

ivanja

On the Ice
Country
Croatia
The purpose is not for China to win all medals but to not allow the foreigners to spread the virus to the 1.4 Billion Chinese. Very simple, I hope you can understand this.
I'm afraid it's more complicated than that. Firstly, the organizers are using hyper-sensitive tests which are returning inconclusive values, causing some athletes to be sent into quarantine based on, well, inconclusive values. Secondly, there are reports of athletes testing negative, but still being prohibited to board the plane because CT values were deemed "high". So, yeah...

But finally, the pandemic did not start yesterday. Many events were successfully held without rigorous (lottery?) testing. The more import thing is to keep everyone involved in the bubble and away from the local residents.

EDIT: This is just heartbreaking. This is Kim Meylemans, Belgian skeleton olympian. She was told she was leaving her quarantine hotel after three days of isolation and three negative PCR tests but instead of being brought to the Olympic village, she was brought to a hospital for seven more days of isolation. An arbitrary decision that took a massive toll on her mental state.

Last edited:

icybear

Medalist
Seriously, scrap the whole bloody thing, it's such a stupid way to deal with things. What is the overall purpose here?! To allow China to win all medals?
Oh I dont know. Maybe so they dont infect other athletes and turn the whole place into an infected site and everyone starts to struggling to breath. Yeah totally selfish of the organisers

pearly

Record Breaker
I really hope that doesn´t mean the German team is completely out of the team event. If they manage to get top 8 Paul Fentz would get his financial support back. He recently lost it because fed didn´t see any improvements from him.
Ohh unlikely without the pair. They probably had the highest placement potential, this could cost Germany around 5 points.

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
Ohh unlikely without the pair. They probably had the highest placement potential, this could cost Germany around 5 points.
I know that this is highly unlikely, but to be out of contention before the event even started is so sad. :(

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m glad the pairs event is last. Because I wanted to see Hase/Seegert compete at the Olympics. I’m kinda mad cause idk when’s the soonest he can test again to see if he’s negative.

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
Hi, do you mean Hocke/Kunkel?
Yes, exactly. In the other disciplines we don´t have athletes with international experience. Only Nikita Starostin in men who was very good at Europeans, but he doesn´t have German citizenship, yet.

Matthew

On the Ice
Yes, exactly. In the other disciplines we don´t have athletes with international experience. Only Nikita Starostin in men who was very good at Europeans, but he doesn´t have German citizenship, yet.
But Hocke/Kunkel had injuries this season, aren't in good shape. Do you think they could be substitutes, at all?

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
But Hocke/Kunkel had injuries this season, aren't in good shape. Do you think they could be substitutes, at all?
You are right that they are not in great shape after his injury. But they still are the 2nd best German pairs team. But apparently it wasn´t possible to sub them in, because Germany will skate the team event without a pair. :(

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Lambiel will travel to Beijing later, but miss the start. Thank god Shoma and Deniss are cleared and training in the village. God, this is so stressful.

With covid in the Village, Fake bubble, whatever you want to call it....no one is safe. I dont care if the Chinese support crews are wearing hazmat suits...they still breath and no mask is perfect....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Am I missing something? The skating is tonight...the comp threads are closed, and no skaters or start orders 11 hours out????

princecharming

Rinkside
With covid in the Village, Fake bubble, whatever you want to call it....no one is safe. I dont care if the Chinese support crews are wearing hazmat suits...they still breath and no mask is perfect....
Exactly, pulling someone out of the competition is so silly to me.

What if someone gets COVID mid-way through the competition? It puts the whole team situation in jeopardy.