2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Women's Short Program | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Women's Short Program

Tomadeur

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Coming from a very vocal (and I guess pretty biased lol) Medvedeva fan, that score at WTT was ridiculous. And if Higuchi got two ! calls, Zhenya should have gotten an e for her very clear flutz, which, well, was ignored by judges for the majority of her career. Also I remember her having an unstable landing on her already weak 2A and most judges still gave her +2 for it. So, yeah… I do think she was the best at that particular competition. But even I can see that the difference wasn't anywhere near 25 points.

And imo, such a discussion is warranted. Because judging like this gives the impression that certain skaters are unbeatable and out of reach no matter what happens on the ice. But they aren't, or rather shouldn't be.
Three judges gave the 2A +2, two judges +0 and the rest +1, resulting in average GOE of 1,14. With that kind of landing, entry, tano, ... I see no problem there. I would have called ! on the Lutz in the FS (she didn't do any in SP) even if she at least tried to sell an outside edge compared to Higuchi. And rewatching it in slomo and getting into the details you could argue for a point more or less on many more elements. But I maintain that the gap in TES is nearly completly justified.

But enough off topic from me :D

Joekaz

On the Ice
Well, when the expert opinions on pre-rotation and such start showing up, it's probably best I leave this thread.

I may disagree to varying degrees on some of this, but I do respect the opinions of those who talk about it in a clear and rational manner. However, I am bothered by the posts that are just seething with resentment and do so in such a demeaning way. Using terms such as "cheating" and then posting links to that bastion of integrity sports.ru. Sure, it's not "bashing" in the strictest sense, but I still find it mean-spirited.

Well, at least no one has called her a "stupid skinny girl" or a "robot" ---- yet.

Just as an aside, I often felt Mao Asada was penalized way too much. It seemed to be her misfortune to be competing at a time when the judges started to over-analyze (in my mind) the jumps, while at the same time lessening the value of some of the aesthetic parts of skating. In that way it really put her at a disadvantage against Yuna Kim, who was very artistic, but in my opinion not at the same level that Mao Asada was. Overall, I thought they were evenly matched. Yuna Kim I think was more consistent, but I wonder if part of Mao's problem was due to focusing too much on fixing her technique.
100% right. Mao was considered better than Yuna for the first half of the rivalry, until they started changing the judging.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, it was my thought to switch Karen out too, but it would not be fair to not allow C/B to perform in ice dance. They'd need to lean on Nathan, and I just don't think he wants to do that, although I think he could do it. Unfortunately, the men's individual event is scheduled too close to the team event. Maybe on purpose? LOL
The SI article I linked stated Nathan had offered to skate both segments but USFS rejected his offer.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
17 SCHOTT Nicole GER

Adios Nonino by Astor Piazzolla, performed by Milva

Black dress, cutout, red piping

3F+3T - ok, but looked 3T<
3Lo
FCSp
2A
CCoSp
StSq
LSp

Solid skate, she seems very happy

SP: 33.01+30.12 = 63.13 (SB), 4/17

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
18 PAGANINI Alexia SUI

Music: La Cumparsita performed by Milva

Black lace dress, red/silver sparkle

3Lz+3T - ok, maybe 3T<
3Lo
FCSp
2A
CCoSp
LSp
StSq

Nice skate, she fistpumps

SP: 32.03+29.03 = 61.06, 8/18

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@sequinsgalore and @decafjava this is the thread for the Team Event.

If you haven't already found it, the women's individual SP thread is here: