2022 Skate Canada Women's Free Skate | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada Women's Free Skate

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabby has always skated stronger SPs than FSs, and with all the missed training time (car accident) a strong performance in the FS wasn't in the cards.

And Madeline has struggled in her FSs this season. She tends to lose energy towards the end of her FS, which is probably why her last 3-4 jumps are the easier ones. But with this strategy, she loses ground to skaters who spread their high-value jumps into the bonus area.

gleungc6

On the Ice
Women's at SCI was certainly... a wild ride. Must contain some of my thoughts... but I'm happy that all the women had a chance to show off a great free or a great short.

gleungc6

On the Ice
As I wait for the medal ceremony, I'm still flabbergasted that Starr beated Young You by one point... @judges I'm watching you...

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh good I didn't miss everyone!

At least I don't think so?

Gabby's having a tough time, but the crowd has her back which is nice!

ETA: Oh I did miss everyone and it was a replay. Which...was a weird thing to replay because poor Gabby ended all the way in 9th after that! Ouch. :( Poor Gabby.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm looking at the wikipedia page and what I find REALLY interesting is that BOTH Rinka and Starr were replacements. 2/3 of the medalists were replacements.

Let that sink in.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To look on the bright side, the two Canadian women finished better than the 3 Canadian women last year:

2022 Schizas 7, Daleman 10
2021 Schizas 8, Bausback 11, Schumacher 12

mrrice

Record Breaker
Looking at the protocols, if this is the level of ladies skating these days, I think Michelle Kwan should come back. :)
At this event, yes. However, I don't think she'd like playing second fiddle to Isabeau. With her content, even a 7 triple program from Michelle wouldn't be enough to beat her backloaded combo's.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At this event, yes. However, I don't think she'd like playing second fiddle to Isabeau. With her content, even a 7 triple program from Michelle wouldn't be enough to beat her backloaded combo's.
Just kidding, mrrice. :)

soccerjc77

On the Ice
Rika Kihira was the highlight for me in this event. Her FS was beautiful ! And, Brian Orser, is really a great coach for her. He train her like a jewel like Yu-Na Kim. It's so good to see him working with her and reduce the technical element to heal her injury. He is a good coach for her.

slider11

Medalist
As I wait for the medal ceremony, I'm still flabbergasted that Starr beated Young You by one point... @judges I'm watching you...
I must agree. Young's FS was solid. I admire Star's resilience but I don't see it as superior to Young's overall abilities and performance. Perhaps the Je Suis Malade music gave Star a little edge with the home crowd/judge.