2022 Skate Canada Women's Free Skate | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada Women's Free Skate

lzxnl

Final Flight
I'm looking at the wikipedia page and what I find REALLY interesting is that BOTH Rinka and Starr were replacements. 2/3 of the medalists were replacements.

Let that sink in.
That's happened before, though not to this scale. If I remember correctly, Rika Kihira herself was a last-minute host pick at NHK in 2018. She would end up winning the event and even the GPF. This competition's results were nuts though.

slider11

Medalist
Both Madeline and Gabriel came out so strong. Both are striking on the ice-would love to see them succeed!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's happened before, though not to this scale. If I remember correctly, Rika Kihira herself was a last-minute host pick at NHK in 2018. She would end up winning the event and even the GPF. This competition's results were nuts though.
She was a host pick. But it was about 2 months before the competition.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
here is what Maddie said about the plastic tube

“I didn’t slip on it. I just saw it skating by like four times, from the third or fourth jump of the program,” she explained. “I’m like, oh gosh, there’s something there. But I didn’t know if I could stop to get it. Nor did I know if that was the right call, because once you interrupt the program, how does everyone feel about your program components, so I just left it.

“I’m not going to stand here and blame some stupid piece of plastic for my bad skate. I could have skated well anyways. I just have to learn how to focus a little more…. I wasn’t necessarily vying for a top three spot at any event last year and so I think I just need to learn how to compete as opposed to how to show up and skate. It’s a different skill.”

source : https://olympic.ca/2022/10/29/gille...sDakNbhR4dWaZTp_BGQiGo6rlFAzvUlOPtxU5UBLmF9PI

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
WOW, a totally different podium compared to sp results.... This is exciting!!!

Congratulations to the medalists! Feeling especially happy for Young You...

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Well, after watching the Men it's interesting to compare as it was almost the same Tech Panel. But the Men weren't called at all as the Women were. And believe me, the tech panel really had the chance to crush those quads.

So what was the difference? - the US judge Troy Goldstein was on the tech panel for women, not for men. Hmmm...interesting, giving how the results went.

I can safely say that I will NEVER watch a competition with Goldstein on the tech panel again. I'll save myself from the fury and anger.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
She would have been no where near the podium because making the podium required scoring at least a 190.
Oh yes, Josefin has always been in the same league as Starr, around 160-170 points. Starr's PB was before this 181.18 from 3 years ago (last year 177.63). Josefin's PB is 178.10, so with these tech-hostile judges she could easily have done a Starr and also scored above 190 with a clean skate, and she sure has more charisma and artistic capabilities compared to Starr.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Despite some intriguing scores, there were lovely performances. I was particularly happy for Kihira and You’s skate was honestly wonderful. Seeing her placed so low, below Starr made it hard to cheer for Starr tbh, though I understand that Starr deserved her place in spotlight. But the thing is, when You lands, it is never obvious she has UR, let alone DG.

What was worth everything though was seeing my mom tell Thoringren that she is better than Valieva. 🤣🤣🤣 🙌 I really loved her both in practices and in competition, and will be rooting for her. And, obv, my mom is a class act.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh yes, Josefin has always been in the same league as Starr, around 160-170 points. Starr's PB was before this 181.18 from 3 years ago (last year 177.63). Josefin's PB is 178.10, so with these tech-hostile judges she could easily have done a Starr and also scored above 190 with a clean skate, and she sure has more charisma and artistic capabilities compared to Starr.
Yeah, but does she has correct country.

Ziotic

Medalist
I’m seeing a lot of hate for Starr, but like she legitimately skated the best skates of her career. She was clean and rotated across both programs. Sure, she didn’t have a 3Lz but neither did Rika.

She scored what is likely her max ceiling here. Sure she upset the apple cart but give the girl a break. For the skates she skated she deserved her scores and the silver.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I’m seeing a lot of hate for Starr, but like she legitimately skated the best skates of her career. She was clean and rotated across both programs. Sure, she didn’t have a 3Lz but neither did Rika.

She scored what is likely her max ceiling here. Sure she upset the apple cart but give the girl a break. For the skates she skated she deserved her scores and the silver.
I agree very much with this AND it is refreshing that a skater who does have their best event ever gets rewarded and not buried down by reputational scoring given to others.... just like when Gabby skated her best SP in years, she got rewarded. I hope we see more and more and more of this kind of scoring where there is movement between SP and LP, where skaters always feel they have a chance.... For instance, people complained a lot about Rinka's calls in the SP... but with this scoring, delivering in the LP meant she could still win gold... and she did... I don't think it's wrong at all.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden

Starr had the skate of her life, and that's great for her. But the silver came at the expense of others. There is no one that can convince me that You's 3A was a downgrade, which means she landed forward. I thought it looked like a 'q', or sure, I would accept a UR call but the unjust (imo) downgrade meant that she lost at least 2,5 points and the silver medal. This might have consequences for You's chances to reach the GPF.
And Petrokina's scoring??

Ah well, it's only figure skating, I guess I'll live.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ah well, it's only figure skating, I guess I'll live.
this is what i tell myself too :) don't apologize for your passion !!! I certainly don't !!! But after a good night of sleep, I look forward to the next event haha... :) and I thank skating gods for making me a loyal follower... aren't we lucky to love a sport so much it brings us in the best (and sometimes) worst moods ? haha :) cheers !

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The SP scores were a slap in the face to many of the skaters. Maybe that was what stirred them to skate so well in the FS.
No one was happy with the SP score engineering. In the end, it backfired when the top two slid way down in the rankings in the FS.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

And let's not forget, no one should be angry at Starr. She skated her best, she skated with passion and musical sensitivity.

Blame the judges, if you need to blame someone

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The SP scores were a slap in the face to many of the skaters. Maybe that was what stirred them to skate so well in the FS.
No one was happy with the SP score engineering. In the end, it backfired when the top two slid way down in the rankings in the FS.
Do you really think that skaters get stirred to skate so well in the LP when they get a tech call in the SP? Skaters are smarter than that and used to just do the best they can. They work on controlling what they can control and are taught not to be distracted by such things, out of their control. The reason why some did so much better in the LP is that a tech call will hurt much harsher in the SP.. with only 3 jumping passes.. The SP needs to be skated clean. That's all... in the LP, there is a bit more room. I thought this was common knowledge.

Regarding the reason why Gabby didn't do so well in the LP.. You said it yourself a couple pages before... You said that Gabby has always been stronger in the SP than in the LP. So that's not backfiring is it? Gabby has trouble with her flip jumps... always has... when she has landed it, she's usually has had a better LP... when it falls apart, she sometimes loses her timing. This being said, I believe that this was just what was to be expected from a woman who just suffered a severe car accident... After all she has been troubled with the last few years, Gabby had a great event. Her 3t-3t is as good as ever... when she came back last year, even her trademark combo was off... I find this very encouraging for her and her fans.... I guess you are not a fan :) that's okay.

Madeline is not used to lead after the LP. She got distracted. She had the class not to blame the plastic tube for her misfortune. She had two fabulous combos to start the event.. perhaps some of the finest combos of the weekend. Then, it's clear she got distracted when she started landing on two feet and forward... Yet, she didn't complain and said she needed to prepare better to compete as a contender, which is new for her.

Do you really want to open the tech panel can of worms???? Because some people (not me) here complain about Starr winning a silver medal, yet she's the one who didn't get much impacted by tech calls from Mr Goldstein. (from USA)

I prefer to leave it at that. YMMV.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's a catch 22.....Who knows if they'd have those big jumps with a little "Boost" from the team doctor :shrug:
You mean "without a little 'Boost' from the team doctor, I think?

And think of the skaters who were injured and out of competition for a year or more, because they tried to step up and compete by learning the harder jumps without that 'Boost'. Rika and Bradie to name two. Who knows how many skaters' honest training has been compromised or hurt.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
That is a great result and score for Starr. It will definitely help her body of work when it comes time to pick the world team. However, the level of this event feels like a few steps down from what we've seen the last several years and it's not just due to the absence of the Russians.