2022 World Championships: Pairs Short Program | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2022 World Championships: Pairs Short Program

ice_tulip

On the Ice
I don't know why they are taking so long to make the pairs replay available. I didn't see the first teams, so I planned to watch the stream again. Peacock is getting on my nerves. They love taking money out of people's accounts every month on schedule, but they have trouble providing the services we pay for consistently and ON TIME!

Maybe there's something afoot of a technical nature. But no, it shouldn't take this long for the pairs sp replay to be made available. Once again, I'm wondering whether it has something to do with K/F's sp music litigation. But, if that's the case, then mute their f'ing music and put the replay up already!!!

I know!!! They have the ladies up but no the pairs, and the event I was by FAR the most excited to see was the pairs!! So upset. I tweeted at peacock about it but of course have been ignored as I'm not someone with millions or even thousands of followers. Times like these I really wish I were. I can't BELIEVE how hard it is to be a figure skating fan these days! It's virtually impossible to find ways to watch! :-(

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I don't know why they are taking so long to make the pairs replay available. I didn't see the first teams, so I planned to watch the stream again. Peacock is getting on my nerves. They love taking money out of people's accounts every month on schedule, but they have trouble providing the services we pay for consistently and ON TIME!

Maybe there's something afoot of a technical nature. But no, it shouldn't take this long for the pairs sp replay to be made available. Once again, I'm wondering whether it has something to do with K/F's sp music litigation. But, if that's the case, then mute their f'ing music and put the replay up already!!!
Maybe so....I watched the pairs I really wanted to see mid day here but still no replay.....at first I had to wonder if someone was unhappy about the Austrian Pairs demo in the K and C but now you have me wondering. My friends and I thought, well, they could just use the original version, pay the normal roalty, and go on with life.....but what if they really did have their ducks in a row and are gonna counter sue? Put me on the jury.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They did medal but, not gold. We have to go back to Tai and Randy for gold. As long as they skate well, I'll be thrilled.
I must have misread the post thinking it was about being in medal contention. I was the one who posted about first Us gold Karol & Peter Kennedy (1950) and second Tai & Randy(1979).

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Regarding the sp medal ceremony and presser, once again there's evidence of 'looking down on' U.S. pairs teams. The moderator needs to get a clue, making what I thought were overly dumbed down comments about 1979 being the last time a U.S. pair was on the podium, or else he meant in the position of winning gold (that was Tai/Randy). But at the same time, the moderator asked a presumptuous question about Brandon/Alexa having the chance to equal or better their coach, Todd Sand, who won silver at Worlds in 1998. Alexa/Brandon answered that provocative question very skillfully and aptly. The moderator, and everyone else has apparently completely forgotten about Ina/Zimmerman winning bronze in 2002, and the exploits of all the other U.S. teams that I mentioned in my history post. As I said, U.S. pairs teams have an important legacy in figure skating. That said, skaters competing today are concerned with furthering their own careers, not comparing themselves to past teams. These condescending questions are typically mainly asked of U.S. skaters who tend to get a lot of pushback when they rise to the top after some major podium drought years.

Did anyone ever go on at a press conference about James/Cipres being the only French pairs team to dominate a season and to be in the hunt for World gold circa 2018 - 2019, since the Brunets who won four World gold medals and also a silver in the late 1920s and early 1930s?! Nope, I highly doubt it. Before James/Cipres, there was also Abitol/Bernadis of France, who won bronze in 2000. U.S. teams have a greater legacy and presence on World and Olympic podiums than that, even despite only two U.S. teams winning gold, there are many U.S. teams who have won silver and bronze, in addition to the throw jump record holders who are two U.S. teams!

Another huge case in point is the fact that Miura/Kihara are only the second highly competitive Japanese pair team in history. Japanese fed does NOT have a strong legacy in pairs and only a recent history in ice dance. But are those questions ever asked? Nope. At the least, M/K should have been asked about being only the second pair representing Japan (Takahashi/Tran were the first) to be in bronze medal position at Worlds, yet M/K were NOT asked. Meanwhile, Alexa/ Brandon and Ash/Timothy are just two of many talented and accomplished U.S. pairs teams. They should be treated with much more respect, and less being 'talked down to'.

I give all three small medal teams credit for the superb way they answered all the questions posed to them, especially the way Timothy spoke up about supporting Ukraine, and how Ash & Timothy both answered the final question about getting back in shape mentally and physically after the Olympics. While M/K were very modest in responding to a question about their PCS, it was inappropriate for the awkward moderator to end up calling Bruno up to speak, simply because M/K laughingly were modest and said to ask their coach any further questions on PCS. Bruno was okay in making sure he complimented all three teams. But then, he went on way too long over-talking about his team, as if trying to promote them to win gold. Bruno even had the audacity to pump up himself as having coached a World champion team before. Fine, be proud of what you and your teams have accomplished, but don't do it at a small medal press conference. They didn't give the coaches of the U.S. teams equal time! That interlude was out of place and overly political. I wish James/Radford had skated well enough to be in third.

Clearly, M/K are popular, well-liked, and talented, but they are NOT better than Ash/ Timothy or Alexa/Brandon. All three teams are comparable and very competitive. At 2021 Worlds, Alexa/Brandon placed 7th; Ash/Timothy placed 9th; and Miura/Kihara placed 10th. But all of a sudden, in an Olympic season, M/K (using the previous year's same programs) are better than the two American teams? No, all three teams are capable of standing on top of the podium, with both U.S. teams having the greater experience in pairs, and Ash/Timothy being partners for the longest between the three teams.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just saw this. If inappropriate, please remove
Holichenko and Darenskyi were greeted by a standing ovation from the Montpellier crowd on Wednesday as they successfully negotiated the short programme.

Earlier, a minute of applause was dedicated to Ukraine during the short opening ceremony.

Despite qualifying for the free programme, scheduled for Thursday evening, Holichenko and Darenskyi decided not to take any further part.

"We decided with our coach to withdraw from the free programme," said Holichenko.

"We are not prepared to skate it because we haven't trained since the Olympics. We took a short break afterwards, and then the war started."

The Ukrainian pair already know that they will not be able to return to Dnipro after the world championship.

Instead, they will go to the Polish city of Torun where a local club has offered to host them.

I will not speculate obviously on who might not want this replayed.....

ice_tulip

On the Ice
Maybe so....I watched the pairs I really wanted to see mid day here but still no replay.....at first I had to wonder if someone was unhappy about the Austrian Pairs demo in the K and C but now you have me wondering. My friends and I thought, well, they could just use the original version, pay the normal roalty, and go on with life.....but what if they really did have their ducks in a row and are gonna counter sue? Put me on the jury.

It's still not uploaded and the pairs LPs are starting in just 7 hours. I checked Skating ISU Youtube page and they have all 5 hours of the women's SPs posted, but NO PAIRS. So I'm guessing there was some legal reason no one is showing it. My mom said they didn't show the pairs on USA Network too, but maybe she just missed it? Not sure. Finally it was time for the north Americans to shine. I was so excited. And yet seems all pairs videos are completely blocked, not a one on YouTube anywhere.

Fireplace7890

On the Ice
Country
United-States
USA network has figure skating scheduled for 1:00 to 5:00pm eastern time today (Thursday) but it doesn’t indicate what events they’re showing. As for Peacock, the problem with the pairs replay might be related to the controversy over the commentators on the ISU feed.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
At 1 pm I have the pairs free skate, but it is a two hour show. It may include more of the SP than just the first place team.

At 4ccs, they ran almost all the pairs back to back in such a time slot.

The men's short starts at 3:00 pm on USA, also a 2 hour show.

ice_tulip

On the Ice
USA network has figure skating scheduled for 1:00 to 5:00pm eastern time today (Thursday) but it doesn’t indicate what events they’re showing. As for Peacock, the problem with the pairs replay might be related to the controversy over the commentators on the ISU feed.

I think that must be it, because now I see that ISU *had* posted the pairs SPs in full but it was swiftly taken down.

Why they can't re-post without commentary or just chop/bleep out the bad parts is beyond me. I'm still fuming about this. Pairs is my most favorite event and SPs are so exciting. It sets the tone for the free and I like seeing how the skaters handle the pressure in their first programs. I hate those @#$@#$ commentators!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What controversy??? Since when do all these controversies prevent replays of sporting events bought and paid for!??? I'm so upset about this, mostly because there was no fair warning that replays of the sp pairs event would not be allowed.

We all need to complain and get some answers asap! We pay for archived replays. I didn't get to see the first half live. Had I known it would be taken down, I would have made a point to view the first half before the whole event was removed. 😡

ETA:
@ice_tulip Are you talking about the Eurosport commentators? What political comments did they make??? I'm more concerned about Peacock and the fact they are not transparent about what they are doing with figure skating coverage. Is there any way that a fs fan who made a copy of the sp pairs event can make it available privately for fans who missed it?

Last edited:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The USA Network Worlds programming schedule doesn't include the pairs short or the rhythm dance. Today is Men's short for two hours followed by Pair's freeskate supposedly live for two hours. They should have some time before the penultimate group so maybe they will show the top short programs, but of course that includes the infamous K&F music so we shall see what they decide to air.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Are they friggin' going to take the sp press conference down from YouTube because Timothy LeDuc voiced support for the Ukrainian people, or because Bruno Marcotte was allowed to go on an inappropriate p.r. spiel promoting Miura/Kihara to win gold???

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The USA Network Worlds programming schedule doesn't include the pairs short or the rhythm dance. Today is Men's short for two hours followed by Pair's freeskate supposedly live for two hours. They should have some time before the penultimate group so maybe they will show the top short programs, but of course that includes the infamous K&F music so we shall see what they decide to air.
What time is USA coverage of pairs possibly showing some sp replays? Not that I can see it, but hoping some fans will be able to copy and somehow share privately.

I can't believe this lousy piecemeal coverage which is so disparate and disconnected, especially with all of the historic nature of what's going on!!! An awful lack of in-depth, effective, thoughtful coverage. :( :bang:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What controversy??? Since when do all these controversies prevent replays of sporting events bought and paid for!??? I'm so upset about this, mostly because there was no fair warning that replays of the sp pairs event would not be allowed.

We all need to complain and get some answers asap! We pay for archived replays. I didn't get to see the first half live. Had I known it would be taken down, I would have made a point to view the first half before the whole event was removed. 😡

ETA:
@ice_tulip Are you talking about the Eurosport commentators? What political comments did they make??? I'm more concerned about Peacock and the fact they are not transparent about what they are doing with figure skating coverage. Is there any way that a fs fan who made a copy of the sp pairs event can make it available privately for fans who missed it?
See pairs free thread. I have posted links viewable by vpn set to Canada. Sorry I know of no other way. Prerecorded material is the subject of the copyright claim on Knierim/Frazier SP music in the US. Live events fall under different rules and that is why we could watch it in the first place.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I thought Peacock was broadcasting the Pairs Free from 1:15 EST. Wrong. When I click on it it refers me to "my stuff!" Which means, I guess, that maybe it will be a replace if and when. Infuriating when you plan your entire day around a TV program.

TCAngel18

Medalist
Maybe the replay was taken down because of the controversy of one of the commentators mic’s still being hot in between performances and they called Meagan Duhamel a (insert b word swear)? I know people were PISSED over that on twitter.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Maybe the replay was taken down because of the controversy of one of the commentators mic’s still being hot in between performances and they called Meagan Duhamel a (insert b word swear)? I know people were PISSED over that on twitter.
Well, I'm sorry, but they are entitled to their opinion. Too bad it got aired on a hot mike though, to cause all of this lack of replay utter nonsense. Since when does Twitter twits being pissed about various and sundry cause international controversy over fs coverage availability for fans. Bleep it out or mute the commentary, and mute K/F's music and make the archived replay available FGS!? :bang:

I see that Ted Barton is now commentating the pairs fp on Peacock. Someone, needs to break all of this down and not be afraid to summarize all of what has been occurring that is affecting fs fans being able to view coverage!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
CBC television didn't air any short programs in full, unfortunately, but I still thought it was worth sharing the 1-minute long recap of Holichenko & Darenskyi's SP, which includes a few brief comments by Meagan Duhamel and Kurt Browning.

2022 Holichenko & Darenskyi Worlds SP Summary (CBC TV 720p):

Last edited: