2022 Worlds Entries | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2022 Worlds Entries

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I hope Shaidorov will be at Skate America or International Classic! I very much enjoyed his skating at 4CC s
Not sure that he'll get a senior GP next season. More likely another JGP season (I hope the conflict in his Fed is resolved so he'll be allowed to take part in two JGPs).

This season is so unfortunate for him. He could compete at Olympics but he was injured during Worlds 2021 and Nebelhorn Trophy (according to Urmanov). He wasn't receiving funding this season because of the mess in his Fed (according to Shaidorov's dad). And now the visa. :cautious:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've already offered my opinion elsewhere, but I see no conspiracies here.

France is, and has always been, quirky and demanding with visas. Misha Ge didn't get his timely, twice, for Grand Prix events, back when every Russian and their cousin was in France for the GP, so nothing to do with his birthplace.

I would suspect Kazakh and Uzbeki passports face the same requirements, but that is a guess.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Aww I really wanted to see G/GM, they have such fun routines! I hope their WD is not because of visa issues :(

On a lighter note, the highest Jones/Boyadji have ever placed at Worlds together is 17th, so they can really make this their best ever worlds! :hap10: Also I didn't realise Chris was born in Paris, how cool to compete in Montpellier!

Why is Safina allowed to compete? Scandal!!!!!
Because Russia released her to compete for another country and she has a Georgian passport! 🥳

Ganya

Rinkside
Aww I really wanted to see G/GM, they have such fun routines! I hope their WD is not because of visa issues :(

On a lighter note, the highest Jones/Boyadji have ever placed at Worlds together is 17th, so they can really make this their best ever worlds! :hap10: Also I didn't realise Chris was born in Paris, how cool to compete in Montpellier!

Because Russia released her to compete for another country and she has a Georgian passport! 🥳
Still she holds a dual citizenship; that's just not good enough😉

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Yep. Chris started off as a Singles skater for France, and then switched to Pairs, partnering fellow French Singles skater Camille Mendoza, who is also skating in Montpellier this week with her second Pairs partner (and now husband) Pavel Kovalev. Chris then switched to Great Britain to partner the now retired Amani Fancy, and then after they split, he stayed with Team GB to partner Zoe Jones.

And it was only there now when I was writing that summary that I realised that every Pairs partner Chris has had was straight out of Singles skating. He must have the patience of a saint! 😇

CaroLiza_fan

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I think that's a likely reason. This is their first season competing together, so I'm guessing she doesn't have an Australian passport. Good chance she only has the Russian one, which could be an issue.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The human factor here is being born in a wrong country.
But Misha was born in Kazakhstan, not Russia, so it can't be an anti-Russian thing? Or was he the only competitor who trains in Russia but needs to get a Visa, seems not as Ryabova and Litvinsev would have Azerbaijan passports and they got in just fine.

Why don't Georgians need a Visa to get into France? Is it because Georgia is considered a European country?

Ganya

Rinkside
But Misha was born in Kazakhstan, not Russia, so it can't be an anti-Russian thing? Or was he the only competitor who trains in Russia but needs to get a Visa, seems not as Ryabova and Litvinsev would have Azerbaijan passports and they got in just fine.

Why don't Georgians need a Visa to get into France? Is it because Georgia is considered a European country?
Georgia, Ukraine and Moldova are Eastern Partnership countries whose citizens need no visa to enter the EU.

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I am not sure if this has been asked before, but does anyone know why China doesn't have skaters at the Worlds?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Can't say I saw fair judgment in women's. :shrug::coffee: Is it too early to say I told you so?

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I am not sure if this has been asked before, but does anyone know why China doesn't have skaters at the Worlds?
Most likely, these two factors:
1) COVID restrictions
2) Seems like they aren't interested in this kind of sport anymore
They also didn't send anyone to 4CC and a second GP stage (expect S/H).

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Most likely, these two factors:
1) COVID restrictions
2) Seems like they aren't interested in this kind of sport anymore
They also didn't send anyone to 4CC and a second GP stage (expect S/H).

Also, after the OG, I read that two of their hopefuls, Shinyu Liu and Boyang, had to undergo surgery. I imagine they'd been postponing the surgery because of the OG on home soil. Yi didn't have all that many chances to make the FS in women, and maybe Sui/Han are tired, so perhaps the Chinese federation decided to call off the WC participation altogether, as not worth the travel hassle, since they have enough points from OG anyway? Just a guess.

--------

And, a shoutout to the incompetent Czech federation and truth-bending media, for their WC commenting on the men's category: "[Reshtenko] focuses on Junior Worlds instead"... nice way of saying he was WD against his will... and then, from an article about Brezina's retirement linked in his FF - "in his absence, CZ is not represented at Worlds", omitting Reshtenko's existence altogether. I wonder how these athletes still have motivation to continue under this bunch of crooks. I don't believe their 'argument' about having him focusing on JWC for a second. Not going to forgive, not going to forget.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sui/Han are tired, so perhaps the Chinese federation decided to call off the WC participation altogether, as not worth the travel hassle, since they have enough points from OG anyway?
What about Peng/Jin for pairs and Liu/Wang for dance?

If either of these couples were forced to withdraw or not supported if they wanted to go then that just sucks .

Peng/Jin have been treated like an afterthought for season after season now, it isn't fair. They're so good! They were 5th at the Olympics, the top finishers after S/H and the Russians. But as far as China is concerned they may as well not exist.

Liu/Wang don't even train in China, they're at IAM there's no reason they couldn't have travelled with the rest of the IAM team. Unless of course the Chinese Fed refused funding or didn't submit their names.

If you ask me that level of disrespect (for all four of these skaters) from their own Federation no less, is grounds for a country change.

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I read Xinyu Liu is having surgery, as stated above.
I think that both Chinese pairs would have competed, it is likely a covid or quarantine factor that kept them away.

I think that's a likely reason. This is their first season competing together, so I'm guessing she doesn't have an Australian passport. Good chance she only has the Russian one, which could be an issue.
I hope we get to see them at Junior Worlds! Just thinking how they could have placed top 10 in seniors...although I am very pleased for all the countries that now have two spots for 2023 :giggle:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
What about Peng/Jin for pairs and Liu/Wang for dance?

I am not sure you meant to react to my post in particular, because literally two sentences before the one you reacted to, I was saying that Boyang and Liu are getting surgeries. Okay, I wrote Shinyu instead of Xinyu, but I it must have been clear who I was referring to.

If two placement hopefuls are out with injuries, Yi doesn't have much of a chance in women, and Sui/Han are exhausted from the OG and maybe also struggling with health issues, I can actually imagine the Chinese federation not wanting to bother with all the arrangements just for Peng/Jin's sake. I hope they're alright either way.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
am not sure you meant to react to my post in particular, because literally two sentences before the one you reacted to, I was saying that Boyang and Liu are getting surgeries.
Sorry I didn't mean to suggest you were being unfair or anything, I actually didn't know about Boyang's surgery, hope he recovers fully!

All things been equal Peng/Jin could have won here, at the very least they probably would have made the podium. The Chinese Fed have bent over backwards for S/H, their entire focus on the Olympics was that S/H get the gold. Apart from the amount of pressure that was placed on them (imagine the scrunity of a billion people on you!) it's grossly unfair to Peng/Jin who have so much talent. I know they're not retiring but when I think of all the years they've been overlooked, it gets me mad. Most countries would give a lot to have their "second tier" pair as good as them.