2023 Four Continents Women's Free Skate | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents Women's Free Skate

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Congrats to Haein Lee, who said f u to the person who decided to bully her online by winning 4CC!
Sadly, I was talking with a highly intelligent Korean uber fan who spent lots of time with me and an undercover GSer talking about how the Korean Fed. Worked and she said Chaeyeon is bullied on Korean social media and it may have effected her mentally. We showed her nothing but love.:ghug: Indeed, many of the fans of. Asian culture here supported everyone. PaulE and I certainly did. I was ashamed of many US fans there I know who did not. It is fjne to not enjoy a skater's style...it is wrong to bully them.
I don't enjoy Levito but I clapped for her and I don't get on her social media and run her down. Lets hope she didn't catch covid...

JimR

On the Ice
I found the footage of Isabeau backstage shown during the warmup of the 2nd to last group and would upload it if i could figure out how to do so from my ipad. Here’s a screenshot instead. I could tell she was in her costume and ready to go. Maybe it came on suddenly.

ETA: The replay is up on Peacock. You can see Isabeau at 2:01:25.
Poor child! She wasn't well enough to practice before the short program. She probably should have been in bed resting all week!

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’m so proud of Haein. She was underscored at her two Korean domestic events, where she was my fave performer at both events and they buried her compared to Shin Jia. I’m so happy the international panel scored her accurately. She scored slightly less than her PB from last year 4CC. But, the judging at this event was much stricter than last year. So, I really do think this was her best performance. I absolutely love her.

Kudos to Mone, as well. When she finished her free skate, I was kind of hoping she could sneak into the podium, and she did.

I’m sad for C.Kim and Maddie Schizas.

Bradie - that was a good performance, in my opinion. Her scores are getting better. I hope she aims for top ten and a score over 200 for Worlds. She is back! I think she scored the same score as Gubanova, gold medalist at Europeans. Just so people can compare the difference in competition levels.

Amber Glenn - I have no faith in you. You go for a 3A and semi land it. However, her combos are sad. Just two 2T’s. I know one is supposed to be a 3T. But, the fact she goes for a 3A, allows her to add a 2A 2A seq to one of her jumps, and she never ever bothers. That is 9 points she leaves off the table because she doesn’t understand this sport. So, not a fan of athletes who lose before they enter the arena.

Also, I’m so happy for Sara-Maude. You could see she enjoyed the experience and her beating Justine and scoring 170+, means she is solidly the 5th best skater from Canada. Congrats. I see a bright future for her…. She great jumping technique.

readernick

Medalist
Sadly, I was talking with a highly intelligent Korean uber fan who spent lots of time with me and an undercover GSer talking about how the Korean Fed. Worked and she said Chaeyeon is bullied on Korean social media and it may have effected her mentally. We showed her nothing but love.:ghug: Indeed, many of the fans of. Asian culture here supported everyone. PaulE and I certainly did. I was ashamed of many US fans there I know who did not. It is fjne to not enjoy a skater's style...it is wrong to bully them.
I don't enjoy Levito but I clapped for her and I don't get on her social media and run her down. Lets hope she didn't catch covid...
To be clear, I’m pretty sure Chaeyeon is being bullied by Korean “fans” not North Americans who frankly likely don’t know who she is. This happened to Haein to. She got direct messages through social media websites filled with very harsh criticism. I don’t think this is a nationalistic thing but rather a sad demonstration of how social media and the internet can be very toxic especially for young women. It is a shame if the fans didn’t applaud certain performances. I didn’t notice that on the stream.

Anyway, on a positive note, Haein has long been my favorite Korean women’s skater. She has a performance quality that is very special. I’m so glad she got this win.

I think Hana was very harshly scored compared to others but I guess that’s what happens when you bury yourself in the SP. I love her skating but the judges don’t seem to.

Sad all the American girls were sick. I hope they get better before worlds. Also, hopefully the virus doesn’t spread to other skaters.

Dawn825

Medalist
Shout-out to the technical panel for calling things as they saw it, not how someone asked them to see it. Scratches an itch in my life.
So exciting for Haein, she really picked up the pace this half of the season. She's so open with her emotions while skating it's impossible not to feel engaged and emotional too while watching. So charming. Sad for Yelim though, she was so close.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be clear, I’m pretty sure Chaeyeon is being bullied by Korean “fans” not North Americans who frankly likely don’t know who she is. This happened to Haein to. She got direct messages through social media websites filled with very harsh criticism. I don’t think this is a nationalistic thing but rather a sad demonstration of how social media and the internet can be very toxic especially for young women. It is a shame if the fans didn’t applaud certain performances. I didn’t notice that on the stream.

Anyway, on a positive note, Haein has long been my favorite Korean women’s skater. She has a performance quality that is very special. I’m so glad she got this win.

I think Hana was very harshly scored compared to others but I guess that’s what happens when you bury yourself in the SP. I love her skating but the judges don’t seem to.

Sad all the American girls were sick. I hope they get better before worlds. Also, hopefully the virus doesn’t spread to other skaters.
Not sure all the US girls were sick, Bradie seemed to be just fine. Amber's nose was red, but that doesn't mean she was sick either.

Last edited:

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
I am not going to state that this reminds of and old result when I resided elsewhere. Good 👍 job and Congrats to all 🏅.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Poor Chaeyeon she does not deserve that. I hope she got some love here. If I had been in attendance I would've been cheering loudly for ALL the ladies. They all work super hard, take many falls to master the skills we take for granted while looking so very lovely. This also goes for the paris, dancers and the men. If fans are disinterested, then just take a bathroom break instead of being disrespectful.

readernick

Medalist
Not sure all the US girls were sick, Bradie seemed to be just fine. Amber's nose was red, but that doesn't mean she was sick either.
They all mentioned illness in their interviews after the FS. Bradie said she had just recovered. Amber mentioned she felt under the weather. Isabeau withdrew. Sofia Frank also withdrew. It seems like a respiratory illness was being passed around at Nationals and in the Colorado rink.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They all mentioned illness in their interviews after the FS. Bradie said she had just recovered. Amber mentioned she felt under the weather. Isabeau withdrew. Sofia Frank also withdrew. It seems like a respiratory illness was being passed around at Nationals and in the Colorado rink.
Ah, I did not see the interviews after. Thanks for posting that information.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
ah, what a pity C.Kim didn’t have the clutch to medal. Love that girl! Also, wish Watanabe got more love for her 3A. I guess elevation in CS had impact across the board.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Notes from the rink:

i‘ve said many times on the competition threads that Haein Lee does not ever seem to get the scores I would expect. I find her skating lovely, yet the judges never seem to place her where I would have. Well, last night she got the scores I think she deserves, for once! I also really enjoyed Mone Chiba, lovely effortless-looking skate.

But for me Tara Prasad was the highlight of the night. What a skate! I will admit that I stood for her, and I’m not a bit sorry.

Also congrats to Sara-Maude Dupuis. Way to bring it, young lady! Stepping up for Canada in a big way.

And I saw a post here observing that the audience was small, but supportive of all skaters. Thank you! We may be small, but we are mighty!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am sorry to read that poor Isabeau had to withdraw. Did they give a full explanation as to why? Was it altitude sickness? I worried about this before the event began. We all suffered from it when we sang at the Red Rocks outdoor arena outside of Denver.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Tara was the skate of the night for me..
My admiration knows no limits.. she was truly 🤩
My heart is on my sleeve for Amber and Bradie who were awesome with praiseworthy results; given that they come from the US where FS is a niche sport at best they pour their souls into their training and performances.. Respect!
A shoutout to the talented very charming young Hana Yoshida.. her skating is wonderful, exuberant, flashes of brilliance; her smile lights up the arena.. I will follow her with interest in future..
Also look forward to the senior debut of the young junior South Korean skater Minsol Kwon.. future is in good hands!

Isabeau’s WD is totally on target and I am so glad they made the decision even at the 11th hour. Makes total sense from a health perspective. The work and training she puts into her skating and artistry is staggering. Though many have issues with her takeoff/jumps I have noticed some men have the same technique and no one says a thing..:shrug: it’s incredible.
As for social media: it has its uses certainly but if used to abuse it should die a slow painful death.
Congratulations to the medalists for stellar joyful performances, big hugs for everyone down to the last. Wonderful event!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
women can do everything men can do, even bringing chaos :biggrin:

random thought nobody wanted to know

- Kazakh people, having some portion of Gengis Khan's blood, are here to bring chaos in both women and men

- the back of your neck is an unfortunate place for a big tatoo

-Tara is a jewel, i hope she keeps working on her elements

- congrats to Sarah Maude Dupuis for the first clean skate of the event

- i'm impressed by Jocelyn Hong too, despite the mistakes

- Hana Yoshida took us to the outer space. sadly her goes and pcs didn't take off with her

- Maria stole all Madeline's combos

- Rinka woke Alois Lutz up, it costed her a medal

- Mone reminds me of young Satoko, but we bigger jumps

- Yelim Popped her gold

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
women can do everything men can do, even bringing chaos :biggrin:

random thought nobody wanted to know

- Kazakh people, having some portion of Gengis Khan's blood, are here to bring chaos in both woman and men

- the back of your neck is an unfortunate place for a big tatoo

-Tara is a jewel, i hope she keep working on her elements

- congrats to Sarah Maude Dupuis for the first clean skate of the event

- i'm impressed by Jocelyn Hong too, despite the mistakes

- Hana Yoshida took us to the outer space. sadly her goes and pcs didn't take off with her

- Maria stole all Madeline's combos

- Rinka woke Alois Lutz up, it costed her a medal

- Mone reminds me of young Satoko, but we bigger jumps

- Yelim Popped her gold
Good summary.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Sorry 😔 to hear USA women's team was sick. They kept it quiet. As stated previously, congratulations to all skaters . Especially the medalist. Someone mentioned high altitude affects skating and brings issues . Did USA women's team train at high altitude? They did look paler than normal.hope for best. Another question since ISU event could isabeau or is it Isabella skated since she was 15 and not the 17 years ?

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
The outcome reminds me of a previous year. If that case all my prediction are wrong. They skated well. I think USA women's team should be more prepared for worlds. Seriously can Isabella/Isabeau go due to age rule? Is she too young ? Did it start earlier? I. Know GP events and final is different than The ISU 4CC , Euro and worlds?;