2023 Lombardi Trophy Men's Free Skate | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2023 Lombardi Trophy Men's Free Skate

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I have a Korean lesson to do so will be joining you some time during the second group of the FD

Holy Headband

On the Ice
Surprised Yuma is rated rather "low" here. I didn't see this free skate but to me he was already a charismatic performer before his injury, and overall just an incredibly well rounded skater with great skating skills.
He always had amazing basics, which is why I was a fan—I also just liked him as a person—but he didn't shine in terms of connection to the music or detailed choreo IMO. (His dad's taste in music didn't help either...) But I think he's really upgraded some aspects of his skating now, and he's had the time to perfect his programs so that every movement falls on an appropriate musical accent. His spins are also better than they were before.

He was already one of the very best in the world in terms of technical content, but if his jumps can return to the level of difficulty and consistency he maintained pre-injury while he builds on the work he's done on his presentation (Kostner's involvement should help here), he'll be the undisputed favourite at Worlds/Olys (knock on wood) in my eyes. Let's just hope he can get there without reinjuring himself.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haven't seen it yet, but when did that ever stop me from giving an opinion😂

1. Andrew, bronze, yes! :hap10:Sorry he fell on the 3A, but now I know and so when/if I track down the vid, I can concentrate on performance and steps.

Andrew has won international summer comps (Philly), but has never medaled at a Challenger.

2. Yuma has improved performance skills. He has not always had them. I remember a GP, maybe it was France, where he had a disaster skate. He had peppy music, and his stern facial expression, completely inappropriate for the music, did not change throughout the entire skate. Performance is easier when things are going well, true performers bring it to disaster skates. He was younger and needed to work on that.

I've always liked Yuma and it looks like he took time to work on presentation during his injury, he will be a force. Looking forward to seeing his skate too!

icewhite

Record Breaker
Haven't seen it yet, but when did that ever stop me from giving an opinion😂

1. Andrew, bronze, yes! :hap10:Sorry he fell on the 3A, but now I know and so when/if I track down the vid, I can concentrate on performance and steps.

Andrew has won international summer comps (Philly), but has never medaled at a Challenger.

2. Yuma has improved performance skills. He has not always had them. I remember a GP, maybe it was France, where he had a disaster skate. He had peppy music, and his stern facial expression, completely inappropriate for the music, did not change throughout the entire skate. Performance is easier when things are going well, true performers bring it to disaster skates. He was younger and needed to work on that.

I've always liked Yuma and it looks like he took time to work on presentation during his injury, he will be a force. Looking forward to seeing his skate too!

Ah the facial expression thing... see, I'll never be a fan of that. I'm totally fine with stern expressions. Let the body talk, at least with skaters, who, as we have been discussing at length elsewhere, are athletes. (And excessive facial expressions of skaters, well, I dislike them with all my heart.) I will have to see the video of this, but I remember him doing Michael Bublé exactly in the light footed, swingy way that it needs to be presented.
I agree about his musical choices... but I'd say they fail to excite me per se, but the more impressive is it when he can somehow bring it on for me.