2023 Lombardi Trophy Men's Short Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2023 Lombardi Trophy Men's Short Program

icewhite

Record Breaker
Nikita Starostin.

I love the costume, I love the music, I love his presentation. Love.❤️

Stalks the jumps, but I don't care. Either the stream was lagging or my laptop is buggy:scratch2:

:thank:Didn't dare to ask for a video, but it's great to see.
In the first half he's really busy with the jumps, but that step sequence is :dance3:and the spins are 😘 as usual. The costume of course is the best. :love2: If he keeps the jumps together like today and can refine a few moments and can still get a bit more confident with the choreo this can be an absolute top class program, no need for quads.
(Oh, and the presentation score is a joke.)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Detailed scores

Wide range of marks for Egadze. Skating skills ranged from 5.75 to 7.50.
US judge detested Le May
Polish judge tied the Witkowski's PCS
Protocols are always revealing.

I thought Andrew's steps were awesome, and that element ranked at the very top of the heap.

On the other hand, I was thinking that his spins looked improved... very centered and good positions... but the protocols say otherwise. One of them garnered a V (I forget what that means, but it's not good) and that element was 12th of the 13 men. Still, a very good first outing of the season.

Interesting that while the placements among Yuma and Andrew were consistent, the Japanese judge had the skaters very close in score, the American a wider gap... and the Polish and Georgian judges saw a chasm between them.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
that was a spectacular pop + a bomb. @yume what was the correct definition?
I wanted to see what it looked like but it seems like there was no free livestream.
I guess he gigantically popped the first jump then fell or did a step-out?
Well, it's a challenge. Fombo or pombo is too simple. Granombo? A little bit of spanish to add some spice.

yesterday

Record Breaker
One of them garnered a V (I forget what that means, but it's not good)
Iirc, that's an invalid position or something. Don't know if it's a lot of lost points or just slight.
Internet knows, but it's just late and I'm too tired to google.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I wanted to see what it looked like but it seems like there was no free livestream.
I guess he gigantically popped the first jump then fell or did a step-out?
Well, it's a challenge. Fombo or pombo is too simple. Granombo? A little bit of spanish to add some spice.
gignatically popped and then fell :biggrin: Granombo :points:

auser

Record Breaker
No idea how to sign in with my Facebook account. :(.

So wanted to see the Disco Inferno🔥, Arlet and will miss my Andrew T. Hopefully a kind soul will take pity and post videos.

Yes, I could pay eight (?) euros, but no, I won't.:biggrin:
This YouTube account has several Lombardia Trophy videos including Andrew, Arlet and Yuma:

Andrew Torgashev:

Arlet Levandi:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Nikita's costume and music!:party2::dance3::party2::dance3::party2:

Pity Andrew was in a 'who cares about the paying audience' mood when getting dressed, and black is NOT his colour. Skating was nice. Problem is, all the ones I can see from the videos put up, they were... tepid. Yes, even Yuma.

ps - it did occur to me that that rink is rather tepid-making in itself, a very bland space, so maybe it was a damper on them.

Last edited:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
On the other hand, I was thinking that his spins looked improved... very centered and good positions... but the protocols say otherwise. One of them garnered a V (I forget what that means, but it's not good) and that element was 12th of the 13 men. Still, a very good first outing of the season.
I did a quick Google search, and quote from this PDF link popped up from the USFS. https://usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/Scoring Cheat Sheet.pdf

All spins with a change of foot must have three revolutions on each foot. In the short program, a spin that does not meet this requirement will get no value. In the free skate, the sign “V” indicates that this requirement was not met.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Pity Andrew was in a 'who cares about the paying audience' mood when getting dressed, and black is NOT his colour. Skating was nice. Problem is, all the ones I can see from the videos put up, they were... tepid. Yes, even Yuma.

ps - it did occur to me that that rink is rather tepid-making in itself, a very bland space, so maybe it was a damper on them.

Agreed about Nikita, I love a skater who commits to it *all*.:hap10:

No confirmation yet, but I doubt Andrew deliberately went with the training gear. He has never been a "I found this at Target" skater, usually tastefully lightly blinged costumes. Even at summer comps. And mangloves :(. Either he lost a costume or something happened to the one he had.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Agreed about Nikita, I love a skater who commits to it *all*.:hap10:

No confirmation yet, but I doubt Andrew deliberately went with the training gear. He has never been a "I found this at Target" skater, usually tastefully lightly blinged costumes. Even at summer comps. And mangloves :(. Either he lost a costume or something happened to the one he had.
I hope so, I quite liked him last year if I recall. I have no problem with watching quite a few specific skaters for ages in just all black (UA for instance), because they are beautiful and move beautifully in it. But most of the all-black outfits we do see just don't fit as well as a proper costume (or UA :biggrin:)

I've watched a few more of this competition, including a couple from other disciplines, and I now do think the tepidity is at least partly the venue. Probably partly lack of audience and it being early season too. But the kids in juniors may not be as skilled but they seemed to me to give more to it.

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
This YouTube account has several Lombardia Trophy videos including Andrew, Arlet and Yuma:

Andrew Torgashev:

Arlet Levandi:

Oh I knew Levandi was skating to Stromae, but I didn't know Torgashev was as well!!
Great, I really like Stromae (although these are probably not his best songs I get they are good for skating) and these two just know how to do such a program. Very entertaining and, for skating, out of the ordinary. Love it! Andrew's jumps are stunning as well.
(Overall quite a lot of programs to current French pop this season.)

Holy Headband

On the Ice
Protocols are always revealing.

I thought Andrew's steps were awesome, and that element ranked at the very top of the heap.

Interesting that while the placements among Yuma and Andrew were consistent, the Japanese judge had the skaters very close in score, the American a wider gap... and the Polish and Georgian judges saw a chasm between them.
Based on years of scrutinising protocols I've observed Japanese judges are almost always very scrupulous about avoiding the appearance of national bias, sometimes to a degree that would piss me off if I was a Japanese fan. They'll underscore great performances by Japanese skaters even when the skater's placement hangs in the balance. (I think I can remember a couple of exceptions involving Hanyu, but they really are rare.) Most Russian judges were the opposite back when they were allowed to judge internationally. For most other nationalities it varies. For example, I've seen Canadian/US judges who behave like Japanese judges and ones who are shameless about pushing their skater/couple too.

yesterday

Record Breaker

Maybe they call it destraction-free? :biggrin:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Yuma Kagiyama 🇯🇵❤️❤️❤️

4S *chef's kiss*
3Lz(turn)+2T
CCoSp
3A
FSSp
StSq
CCoSp

YUMAA I know he messed up the combo but that step sequence was fantastic and I've missed him so much

SP: 91.47 (casual 21-point lead) also hiiii Papa Kagiyama and Caro!
figureskatingandrainbows, is your profile pic baby Yuma?

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
figureskatingandrainbows, is your profile pic baby Yuma?
Nope, it's adult Yuma from his FujiTV profile, but this is why he's a member of the Small and Mighty Club 😄

here's baby Yuma (there's a really adorable video of Yuma when he's like 6 skating but I can't find it 😭)
Q6zFycKVKRsizIkq.jpg