gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ice dance is rebuilding in Russia

Pairs were very close

A tie-breaking event for the men

Dark horse emerges in women

Editor's Note: Golden Skate supports the sanctions imposed on Russia for their government's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine's sovereignty and the territorial integrity of its land and people. However, we also recognize that many Russian citizens, including Russian athletes, do not support the war on Ukraine. As an international skating news platform, we have a duty to report on skating events worldwide, including Russian Nationals. We hope that one day soon, there will be peace. Until then, we are still committed to providing these services as we have for the past 23 years.

With this said, please do not pollute this thread with doping/war issues.

What are your thoughts on the placements?

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
to me the wildest thing that happened was the men's placements... I actually thought gummenik had it.
also, did I miss the memo about trusova not being in the event?! [and seeing eteri and her minions still give me the creeps]
pairs... the top 2 was a toss-up, with tarasova/morozov definitely 3rd - but the judges really ducked their component scores
yep - the headline above was right - dance was just meh. didn't care for it. I miss stepanova/bukin and zahorski/guerreiro

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I think Sasha withdrew quite late on. Better to take care of your health at this stage anyway. Yametova and Sinitsyna really impressed me, as well as Tuktik's return to the podium in so many years! Sofia M and Sofia S, hope next year is your year 💐

Ice dance was not great, the champions fell twice and Liza doesn't seem healthy! I really hope that stepbuk will return. The most promising new seniors had to WD and I felt their absence.

I actually think men's was the most exciting event, what a finish! Admired Dima's fight in the free skate, also Mozalev's artistry in both programs (I'm biased but I think he deserves more points for that)

Pairs I still have yet to watch, am planning a boxing day catch up but it sounds like high level displays all around.

Wishing good health to Mikhail, Sasha, P/K and A/R, K/A and K/C this winter

Skatelife

On the Ice
I really missed Vasilisa and Valery, I wasn't following ice dance, but with the GP available everywhere I started watching again and I love them, I think they have everything to be stars

Skatelife

On the Ice
And of course no wonder why Russian fed left pairs and ladies last, they are impressive ☺️ since the first groups they are great.

Skatelife

On the Ice
Ladies are tough really gutssie, Gorbacheva, Zinina and Akatieva, after falling in their first ultra c, going for those combos🙌🙌

Last edited:

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I didn’t really watch, but I read that Sasha withdrew because of a high fever.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Kamila's 4T was probably the best element any women ever produced in a herstory of figure skating.
I'm pleasantly surprised that she kept that jump with all her physical changes the last year. Hopefully it motivates other skaters to see that their careers aren't over as soon as they turn 16. It still blows my mind that her 4T technique is flawless but her 3T in combos are so prerotated.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I'm pleasantly surprised that she kept that jump with all her physical changes the last year. Hopefully it motivates other skaters to see that their careers aren't over as soon as they turn 16. It still blows my mind that her 4T technique is flawless but her 3T in combos are so prerotated.
Combos have different physicality about them. For example both Mao and Liza who have 3As struggles with 3-3 combos. The problem is when the first jump in the combo is performed with too much height and then it is harder to attach another triple on it. I think one time Mao even did what prerotation literally is in the ISU books and got downgraded for it. But usually many skaters jump 3T combos as that to be able to keep momentum going. Almost nobody today jump it as Yu-Na was, which is in my opinion the best example of triple-triple combos in the past, because the problem with hers nowadays could be if 3T is judged with q, so skaters train to put that quarter of rotation at the take off instead on the landing. In that case they don't lose GOE points with every single judge as they would when there is a q sign on their scoresheets.

Last edited:

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
for the post-Olympic season it was a not so bad championship. The girls did not have a quad-lutz, which is unpleasant, of course.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Men were so dramatic. Gummenik's shocked face long after the score announcement says it all. I was invested in Russian men, aka the cacti fest, more than usual. Was really rooting for Gleb. I hope he will do better next year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But usually many skaters jump 3T combos as that to be able to keep momentum going. Almost nobody today jump it as Yu-Na was, which is in my opinion the best example of triple-triple combos in the past, because the problem with hers nowadays could be if 3T is judged with q, so skaters train to put that quarter of rotation at the take off instead on the landing. In that case they don't lose GOE points with every single judge as they would when there is a q sign on their scoresheets.
I think from the previous quad, the skater with the best technique on the triples was Alena Kostornaia. Every triple she did at her peak (2019-20) had good height and complete rotation, aside from the occasional < on the 3A. None of the other Russian skaters should have gotten close to the GOE Alena earned on her triples.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I think from the previous quad, the skater with the best technique on the triples was Alena Kostornaia. Every triple she did at her peak (2019-20) had good height and complete rotation, aside from the occasional < on the 3A. None of the other Russian skaters should have gotten close to the GOE Alena earned on her triples.
Well, she was rewarded for it surely by the judges. Even others as Sasha or Anna had quads, she was able to beat them (from time to time). Me personally, i'm not that nitpicking about the 'jumping technique' if the 'whole picture' is great.. i personally most enjoyed Anna Shcherbakova's performances in that quad. After all, judges agreed with me by rewarding her with Olympic gold medal :biggrin:

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
Seems like Sofa also caught a virus.

Well Trusova withdrew from nationals with a fever but Tuktamysheva posted a picture of athletes having breakfast the morning of the gala and Trusova was there a well so if she has something contagios it doesn't appear when she tested with a fever that they made her go home or stay away from other skaters so this might be Rostelecom cup 2020 2.0 where they end up with a lot of skaters getting sick.