2023 Russian Nationals Recap | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 Russian Nationals Recap

DoubleBass

Rinkside
I think from the previous quad, the skater with the best technique on the triples was Alena Kostornaia. Every triple she did at her peak (2019-20) had good height and complete rotation, aside from the occasional < on the 3A. None of the other Russian skaters should have gotten close to the GOE Alena earned on her triples.
Idk maybe it's just me but I don't like Yuna's jumps, nothing special. Aliona's jumps had great height, but not near the height of Kamila's 3T for example. Also you have to take into account, the flow and the ease of a jump, the entrance and the exits, if it fits the music etc all of these things add to the goes. Also don't forget that techniques differ depending on your body type, if you have short legs like Aliona, Liza and most Japanese skaters have your technique will differ (at least should differ if you want the consistency) greatly from someone who has very long legs (relative to the torso) like Kamila for example.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Auntie Tuktik isn't enough celebrated for finishing on that podium at 26yo in a sea of quadteens. Quite an achievement.
26 is a grand age in figure skating, especially in Russia. It's more impressive because she's doing it with really hard layouts. Her longevity is no jokes. First nats medal in 2009, last in 2022.

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
I did not really follow this comp but saw some bits when the Japanese stream put on RusNats during pauses or afterwards.
So it happend I just saw Petr's wait for points and the awkward stuation incl. backstage cam etc.

Then I looked at the articles and the scoring page as well.

My overall thought:
Just when everyone thinks "Wow, Pairs is close!", Russian men be like:

giphy.gif

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Well, she was rewarded for it surely by the judges. Even others as Sasha or Anna had quads, she was able to beat them (from time to time). Me personally, i'm not that nitpicking about the 'jumping technique' if the 'whole picture' is great.. i personally most enjoyed Anna Shcherbakova's performances in that quad. After all, judges agreed with me by rewarding her with Olympic gold medal :biggrin:
I ended up most enjoying Anna, too.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You mean the field when Russia was sending Sotskova or Konstantinova to championships? Makes you wonder indeed what Tutktamysheva was doing back then...
Liza has terrible luck when it came to Olympics. In 2013-14 she suffered a serious back injury and was unable to skate for a place in Sochi and then for 2017-18 she was in a slump having lost her 3A.

She was soooo close in 2021-22...and had the results of the Nationals tests come out in a timely manner, she would have been sent in Kamila's place.

It would be epic if she somehow made it 2026...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Some general comments about Russian Nats. I only got to see some skates. In pairs, i was very disappointed in T and M but the top three teams all have a quality about them whether it be technically or purity of T and M that are heads and shoulder about the world right now even with mistakes. Honestly the top 3 teams you could flip a coin. Their weakest tech team T and M or level of difficulty have a purity more like Gordeeva and Grinkov. And the other two teams technically are doing significantly more difficult tricks.

In dance well this was a watered down competition. Missing the top three teams and a slew of retirements/breakups this is no longer a strength. Some promise but not enough crispness or uniquness. I was left unimpressed. Right now they are gift wrapping a team award to Japan or the US. probably Japan. I think in part because they know they are not going to worlds all the disciplines suffered.

Men's missing their top two skaters last year and probably the best overall packaging left the door wide open. What a finish a tie coming down to the tie breaker. Semenko must be just elated. Inconsistency continues to be a problem with Russian men. Theup and comers do not have consistnecy or the artistry mind you with the focus on tech skills artistry seems to mean less.

Ladies suffered from injuries/withdrawls. Missing the Olympic gold and silver medallist is huge and one time favourite Kostornaia is surely going to have huge impact. But Russia being Russia came up with three skaters all who could beat the rest of the world right now. Sure there were not as many difficult quads without the O lympic medallists and some injured contedners but they still technically are far superior than the rest of the world. Of course we agree tech isn't everything but some of the Russian ladies are no slouches artistically. Kamilla's error in the short cost her gold and I give her credit it would be easy to give up with all the issues of her testing positive and her "aging" but she is still pretty competitive.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I haven’t seen men or dance yet. I had to late go at the gigantic scores. My god they love to just give points out everywhere . I found most of the pairs, particularly many outside top 3 just having music choices that didn’t compliment them and seemed to be a sprint to do a long program. So many were just so winded after. Many mistakes made, programs packed to the max when clearly they weren’t ready for it. Even the Elvis program as for program and music.. oye… I had flashbacks of candy man. IMO it was pretty cringe. The pairs event in general was a hot mess. Ladies .. I was happy for Liza to medal at nationals finally again. Was wondering if she would put a quad in haha I know she’s been training them. Kamila looked good but nervous imo. A lot of the other girls are just so young you can see the maturity difference in the skating and emoting the program to the crowd. Just alot of arm movement and edges for no reasons. Obviously the programs are packed with transitions and ss and big jumps but I think we really missed the “senior” girls that have been around a while.

JimR

On the Ice
I haven’t seen men or dance yet. I had to late go at the gigantic scores. My god they love to just give points out everywhere . I found most of the pairs, particularly many outside top 3 just having music choices that didn’t compliment them and seemed to be a sprint to do a long program. So many were just so winded after. Many mistakes made, programs packed to the max when clearly they weren’t ready for it. Even the Elvis program as for program and music.. oye… I had flashbacks of candy man. IMO it was pretty cringe. The pairs event in general was a hot mess. Ladies .. I was happy for Liza to medal at nationals finally again. Was wondering if she would put a quad in haha I know she’s been training them. Kamila looked good but nervous imo. A lot of the other girls are just so young you can see the maturity difference in the skating and emoting the program to the crowd. Just alot of arm movement and edges for no reasons. Obviously the programs are packed with transitions and ss and big jumps but I think we really missed the “senior” girls that have been around a while.

I didn't notice any real examples of over scoring in the ladies event. Kami usually gets a beating for being overscored, but it's always been a myth in my opinion. Like an urban legend of sorts that has been repeated until it becomes true (just my opinion).

This 3F from Mihara in the ISU GP final got a GOE of 1.06, one judge gave it a 3, seven gave it 2.

Compare to Kami's 3F not quite as perfect as usual got 1.89. Five judges gave it a 4, four gave it a 3.

Seems about right for Kami, not sure about Mihara though.

Mihara's 3Lz+3T GOE 1.43

Compare to Kami's 3Lz+3T GOE 1.77.