2023 U.S. Nationals Sr. Men's Short Program | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2023 U.S. Nationals Sr. Men's Short Program

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow! Ilia skated like a boss. Those quads were amazing!
Jason, wow, this is how you maximize your points potential. Best current PCS male skater. He doesn’t even need quads and I feel that he could surprise at Worlds. He just has to focus on the triples. OMG! Is 49.84 the highest PCS score ever given?

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
Wow! Ilia skated like a boss. Those quads were amazing!
Jason, wow, this is how you maximize your points potential. Best current PCS male skater. He doesn’t even need quads and I feel that he could surprise at Worlds. He just has to focus on the triples. OMG! Is 49.84 the highest PCS score ever given?
I think he could win the bronze. He can max out at around 280 (97 plus 183) points! If some of the top skaters who have multiple quads make too many mistakes he could be in medal position. We have seen Worlds that were total splat fests.

skaket023

Rinkside
Usually Max is really good at handling pressure but he looked very nervous. Thank god for his strong components. It keeps him in the mix.

So happy Tomoki was clean. I think this was a make or break moment for him with the young ones climbing up the ladder. His face has matured too. Time is flying.

Great for Andrew. After he wowed at US Nationals years ago. Nice to have him back in action!

I shouldn't have been surprised about Liam, after having watched him in Juniors. Good for him.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few quick thoughts:

Welcome back, Andrew!!!!! Ditto for Maxim!!!!
Jason, you are magnificent!
Ilia, that was a fantastic short program!
Tomoki, so proud of you! Please include your amazing Russian Split jumps in the free skate!
Liam, another very impressive skate (you were an eye opener last season).
Yaro, you are so entertaining - so glad that you're back after last season's injuries/withdrawal during the free skate @ Nationals. Of course, seeing Todd @ the boards always makes me smile, too. Note to GG - Todd has worn that purple tie before.

Camden & Jimmy - may you skate lights out in the free skate.

OMG, I 💕 all the men so much!

Last edited:

sworddance21

On the Ice
As a total Jason fan I would like to take a moment to say that I actually enjoy Ilia’’s skating, too. He’s really growing into his own style and the fact that he is focusing on that is great. He’s not a PCS disaster at all! He’s fun and engaging. I will always lean toward Jason and I’m not saying I think Ilia should be anywhere close to Jason in PCS but I don’t think Ilia is necessarily overscored compared to the not- Jasons.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As a total Jason fan I would like to take a moment to say that I actually enjoy Ilia’’s skating, too. He’s really growing into his own style and the fact that he is focusing on that is great. He’s not a PCS disaster at all! He’s fun and engaging. I will always lean toward Jason and I’m not saying I think Ilia should be anywhere close to Jason in PCS but I don’t think Ilia is necessarily overscored compared to the not- Jasons.
I love both Ilia and Jason. Both are great in their own ways, so I’m happy they’re 1-2 after the SP.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree he’s not a PCS disaster, not at all, but his PCS should not be close to Jason’s PCS in my opinion. Jason has been training for many, many years to master what he has. I really wish there were a way to reward him without screwing the system up completely.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok, I just watched Jason and Ilia back to back. Ilia certainly has it on the tech marks. However, Jason is faster, Has better Posture, Better Choreography, Better Spins, and he's in a different league as far as performance quality. It's nice to know that our future is looking bright but, Man, I sure did love Jason.......A huge Standing Ovation! Plus, he broke 100!! :bow: :cheer2: :points:

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
What a thrill to watch Ilia skate. He really has improved and what a great score and such talent! Only Master Nathan at 115 could beat that number last year. (I miss him)

Nice job from Jason and Tomoki.
Jason deserves way more than “nice job”. IMO. Who else over 100 points without a quad
Ok, I just watched Jason and Ilia back to back. Ilia certainly has it on the tech marks. However, Jason is faster, Has better Posture, Better Choreography, Better Spins, and he's a different league as far as performance quality. It's nice to know that our future is looking bright but, Man, I sure did love Jason.......A huge Standing Ovation! Plus, he broke 100!! :bow: :cheer2: :points:
IMO, Ilia has matured quite a bit. Last year he was all about jumps and almost nothing else; this year, I'm sensing more artistry and feeling for the music from him. Remember how Nathan's artistry developed over several seasons? My guess is that we'll see the same from Ilia.

And yes, Jason sure does deserve WAY more than "nice job." Getting a 100+ score without a quad is an amazing accomplishment! And for me, his artistry is in a class with Toller Cranston and John Curry -- not a comparison I make lightly.

So proud for both of them!

sworddance21

On the Ice
I agree he’s not a PCS disaster, not at all, but his PCS should not be close to Jason’s PCS in my opinion. Jason has been training for many, many years to master what he has. I really wish there were a way to reward him without screwing the system up completely.
Oh, I agree completely. That's what I meant by saying he isn't over scored in PCS compared to the not-Jasons. :). I see many people saying Ilia has no performance ability, etc (similar to what they said about Nathan when he was young) and I just don't think that's totally true. He's really developing. He should be no where close to Jason , but really none of them should.

Regarding Jason, I have re-watched Melancholy several times. The intricacy of the choreography (whole body, not just arms) and musicality is remarkable. Kudos to Jason, for sure. But kudos also have to go to Rohene. It is as much of a choreo masterpiece as Sinneman.