2024 World Championships Women's Free Skate | Page 59 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Women's Free Skate

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I started a "KA-O-RI" chant just before Kaori got her scores while in the Centre Bell. I am quite proud of Kaori and proud of myself as well! :biggrin: She was just sooo classy!

I will say that "pretty" is probably the best word to describe how Isabeau skated. I have no idea how she landed her jumps as low as she did! I was hoping for the best for her because the person I bought tickets from has seen her skating since she was a little girl.

Chaeyeon had this wonderful precision to her elements, I definitely want to see more of her in the future. 🙂

auser

Record Breaker
I started a "KA-O-RI" chant just before Kaori got her scores while in the Centre Bell. I am quite proud of Kaori and proud of myself as well! :biggrin: She was just sooo classy!

I will say that "pretty" is probably the best word to describe how Isabeau skated. I have no idea how she landed her jumps as low as she did! I was hoping for the best for her because the person I bought tickets from has seen her skating since she was a little girl.

Chaeyeon had this wonderful precision to her elements, I definitely want to see more of her in the future. 🙂
Thrilled about Kaori's 3peat and great skate. Kudos to Isabeau and Chaeyeon for their medal winning skates. Well done on your audience motivation skills! Hope you are having a wonderful time. Thanks for your on-site posts. :)

readernick

Medalist
No judging controversies here. Sakamoto was best, Levito second best and Kim third best, no question. :clap: :clap: :clap: All three programs were near perfect technically and with outstanding presentation, each in its own way.
Truly, and honestly I'm impressed by the technical calling. They even called the URS and edges in the last group. It makes me a bit upset when those at the top get favors but everyone was called fairly here.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The stars aligned tonight to get the US those three spots. Isabeau delivered under pressure after Amber underperformed. Glad to see Amber posting that she really needs to figure out the mental aspect.

I love seeing Kaori and Isabeau on the podium together. At my last live competition at Skate America at SCOB, they did the same funny bit with the flags over their heads. Nice to see them joking around again.

Felt bad for Young You and Haein Lee, particularly since they had strong SPs.
And wasn't too surprised about Loena since she's fighting an injury.

Kudos to Kimmy Repond. I wonder if anyone had her in their predictions. Oh and I love Chaeyon and her flip jump.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I will start with this :
Women is my least favourite discipline. So maybe my post will sound less engaged or more clinical than my passionate posts for men, pairs and dance... but yeah ;) that's @4everchan for you.

Let's start with the local flavour. Maddie is a good skater. She has shown it on occasion. She has a good 3lz-3t combo, can land all the triples with ease, has good spins and usually a decent presentation. However, there is something going on that's not working out. With her skillset and talent, she should overcome her nerves. Usually she gets one good and one bad program. This time around, home worlds were too much pressure for her. Two subpar programs. This being said : I believe that she may be the only skater without an edge call or a rotation call tonight ;) Yup. She did pop both her salchows... and btw.. I have no idea why she repeats the salchow because it's one of the jumps she is less stable with in competition.. might as well try another lutz even if it doesn't work out at this rate.
Two things here : she needs to work harder on mental preparation. The other thing : Skate Canada needs to send many more women out there so that many more earn their tech minimums. Maddie needs more internal competition. It's too comfortable for her now in Canada, not because she's so above the others (as a matter of fact, she is NOT the Canadian champion this year). but because nobody else has the minimum scores nor significant experience on the world stage.

Kimmy I have mentioned it. I didn't like her skating. But I retract myself. She is good ! She is tall (saw her walking around before the competition.. I am 6 foot tall... she is about 5'7" ... which is super tall for a skater. I think Patrick is 5'7" :) In any case, she has great stature and presence on the ice and her jumps, which I thought looked muscled before, look quite good in person. For me, that was one of the best performances of the night. I know she is quite young so I hope we will see much more of her in the future. Being seeded for GP series next year will be interesting for her. Best comeback from the SP award@4everchan

Young You I loved her dress. It started with a very good 3lz-3t. She has matured a lot not only physically but also in her skating. Too bad that she got psyched out after the loop. I am so happy for her that she participated to worlds this year and made it to the final flight.

Mone Chiba this was the most disappointing moment for me as I really like her (not so much tonight but overall). Best spin award for her layback ™ @4everchan

Haein Lee Unfortunately, her LP was as tentative as her SP was stellar. It was very sad to see... At the same time, that's pretty much how she performed all year so I was expecting it, especially skating last.

Hana Yoshida Super skating. Dynamic and promising. Great SP. However, the LP is not that good. She skates from one end to the other, jumps and repeats. There is not much of anything in there. Good 3a (q but on her feet)

Loena Hendrickx Never liked the program on streaming. However, live, until the mishaps, the program is fun. It rocks the house and she sells it. Too bad about the too many mistakes here. Maybe a bit held up... but as long as she is not on the podium when other skaters deserved it more, i am okay with her result.

Chaeyeon Kim This was a very good performance. The music is too depressing but she does it well. I mean, she seems to be a bit different in personality and why not skate to something like this if she likes it ? It was skated very well and I am happy she got a medal out of it.

Isabeau Levito Skating after Kaori could have been disastrous. She kept her composure and delivered her best LP of the season. Bravo ! Another darker program. She is very clean with everything she does. And at this point, I am warming up to her as a competitor. I will never like her jumps and I hope she doesn't get injured because of all that jerking and bending... but you know, this is NOT her fault. It's the technique she was taught. So I am done blaming her for her jumping ( I am not saying I will stop complaining about the jumps, just saying that I recognize that this came from her coaches. She cannot learn was she hasn't been taught! )
Best performer under pressure award ™ @4everchan

Kaori Sakamoto I am so happy she delivered today because her SP wasn't as good. What makes the biggest difference here is that Kaori is miles ahead when it comes to skating skills, flow, amplitude of movement, transitions, choreography... everything. Her blades sounds like Patrick's on the ice (swooooshhhhh) Her skating is so smooth. Also, it's nice to see an athlete in figure skating with such sense of humour and candid behaviour. She is the best thing to happen to women skating in years. A great champion. Also, I am very happy her lutz edge was called... not because she lost points on it.. not because it should be called... but because those who keep complaining about that flaw won't have to keep harping her about it... she got dinged for it guys. Let it go :)
Most complete skater award@4everchan

In the end, I have enjoyed my evening quite a lot despite being tired, a bit antsy and women not being my favourite discipline ( I think I scored a whopping 25 points on the prediction game... sigh)

Honorable mention : the choir singing the Japanese anthem a capella . It was so gorgeous ! I hope we get to hear it again tomorrow ! ;)

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I will start with this :
Women is my least favourite discipline. So maybe my post will sound less engaged or more clinical than my passionate posts for men, pairs and dance... but yeah ;) that's @4everchan for you.

Let's start with the local flavour. Maddie is a good skater. She has shown it on occasion. She has a good 3lz-3t combo, can land all the triples with ease, has good spins and usually a decent presentation. However, there is something going on that's not working out. With her skillset and talent, she should overcome her nerves. Usually she gets one good and one bad program. This time around, home worlds were too much pressure for her. Two subpar programs. This being said : I believe that she may be the only skater without an edge call or a rotation call tonight ;) Yup. She did pop both her salchows... and btw.. I have no idea why she repeats the salchow because it's one of the jumps she is less stable with in competition.. might as well try another lutz even if it doesn't work out at this rate.
Two things here : she needs to work harder on mental preparation. The other thing : Skate Canada needs to send many more women out there so that many more earn their tech minimums. Maddie needs more internal competition. It's too comfortable for her now in Canada, not because she's so above the others (as a matter of fact, she is NOT the Canadian champion this year). but because nobody else has the minimum scores nor significant experience on the world stage.

Kimmy I have mentioned it. I didn't like her skating. But I retract myself. She is good ! She is tall (saw her walking around before the competition.. I am 6 foot tall... she is about 5'7" ... which is super tall for a skater. I think Patrick is 5'7" :) In any case, she has great stature and presence on the ice and her jumps, which I thought looked muscled before, look quite good in person. For me, that was one of the best performances of the night. I know she is quite young so I hope we will see much more of her in the future. Being seeded for GP series next year will be interesting for her. Best comeback from the SP award@4everchan

Young You I loved her dress. It started with a very good 3lz-3t. She has matured a lot not only physically but also in her skating. Too bad that she got psyched out after the loop. I am so happy for her that she participated to worlds this year and made it to the final flight.

Mone Chiba this was the most disappointing moment for me as I really like her (not so much tonight but overall). Best spin award for her layback ™ @4everchan

Haein Lee Unfortunately, her LP was as tentative as her SP was stellar. It was very sad to see... At the same time, that's pretty much how she performed all year so I was expecting it, especially skating last.

Hana Yoshida Super skating. Dynamic and promising. Great SP. However, the LP is not that good. She skates from one end to the other, jumps and repeats. There is not much of anything in there. Good 3a (q but on her feet)

Loena Hendrickx Never liked the program on streaming. However, live, until the mishaps, the program is fun. It rocks the house and she sells it. Too bad about the too many mistakes here. Maybe a bit held up... but as long as she is not on the podium when other skaters deserved it more, i am okay with her result.

Chaeyeon Kim This was a very good performance. The music is too depressing but she does it well. I mean, she seems to be a bit different in personality and why not skate to something like this if she likes it ? It was skated very well and I am happy she got a medal out of it.

Isabeau Levito Skating after Kaori could have been disastrous. She kept her composure and delivered her best LP of the season. Bravo ! Another darker program. She is very clean with everything she does. And at this point, I am warming up to her as a competitor. I will never like her jumps and I hope she doesn't get injured because of all that jerking and bending... but you know, this is NOT her fault. It's the technique she was taught. So I am done blaming her for her jumping ( I am not saying I will stop complaining about the jumps, just saying that I recognize that this came from her coaches. She cannot learn was she hasn't been taught! )
Best performer under pressure award ™ @4everchan

Kaori Sakamoto I am so happy she delivered today because her SP wasn't as good. What makes the biggest difference here is that Kaori is miles ahead when it comes to skating skills, flow, amplitude of movement, transitions, choreography... everything. Her blades sounds like Patrick's on the ice (swooooshhhhh) Her skating is so smooth. Also, it's nice to see an athlete in figure skating with such sense of humour and candid behaviour. She is the best thing to happen to women skating in years. A great champion. Also, I am very happy her lutz edge was called... not because she lost points on it.. not because it should be called... but because those who keep complaining about that flaw won't have to keep harping her about it... she got dinged for it guys. Let it go :)
Most complete skater award@4everchan

In the end, I have enjoyed my evening quite a lot despite being tired, a bit antsy and women not being my favourite discipline ( I think I scored a whopping 25 points on the prediction game... sigh)

Honorable mention : the choir singing the Japanese anthem a capella . It was so gorgeous ! I hope we get to hear it again tomorrow ! ;)
The Choir was a great touch!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

ITA. I am not a big fan of Isabeau's jumping technique but my hat is off to her for holding it together... When I saw Chaeyeon live at Four conts Colorado Springs, she started to intrigue me....now I cant believe how far and how fast she has improved....over 25 years, I have followed some skaters from other lands who could only be described as cold emotionally. But when I jumped into that elevator in Vegas with Kaori and her coach and said, "Mmmmmmm Matrix!" she turned around and gave me the sweetest smile, as did her coach.....I turned into a pile of goo in a yellow faded motorcycle coat....LOL! Now I cant stop smiling and feeling glad for her.....See you further down the road, my queen! I have miles to go before I sleep and so do you!

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I could not be awake for live event so I am now watching local channel's no-commentary-broadcast and have now watched first two groups.

Sorry for some young skaters who did not show their best; Nella, Mia, Sarina, Lorine... I wonder why Nella has not competed outside of Finland at all, if i remember right, despite EC and WC this season, not much at previous seasons either, just JGP and Nordics, maybe. She needs more international experience. Scores she got at Finlandia and nationals gave her the spots to this comps. Congratulations for Anastasiiaa skating clean but still I feel tht program of hers boring. I don't mean she is boring, just that program leaves me always to feeling "ok, nice but nothing else". Josefin, Olga and Ekaterina are always so nice to watch, also when they are not perfect. They have personality, IMO. Josefin says goodbye to this FS program, so I think it means we will still see her if it is only program she says goodbye to.

I saw there somebody familiar in the audience...

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
and forgot to mention

WOW at Amber's 3a and 3f-3t.... If only the program had kept going that well. She is too good to keep melting down in the second half. It was very very heartbreaking to watch.
Yes. I just want to mention the following about Amber:

1) She is great for Women’s skating because to me, the women need to start going for ultra-c jumps. Her 3A is amazing. The only fully rotated ultra-c jump of the event.

2) I wish she had gone for the 3A in the short program. She is more consistent on this jump than the 3Lo. Next year, she should just go all out. With her layout and artistry, she should be 80+ with a clean skate and I trust her in the SP more than FS.

3) Amber almost cost the Americans the three spots again… she was lucky this event was less competitive this year. Also, I’m still bitter Ava wasn’t sent to Worlds (Minsol for Juniors) 😡😡😡
Her second half is always a disaster once she goes for that 3Lz. I don’t understand why she doesn’t try to make changes to this portion of the program. She never attempts the triple combo. Like, at least try to go for the 2A 2A sequence to fight for more points.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
After two final groups:

Swiss skaters nailed it. Not the biggest fan of their programs but they are good skaters. Kimmy really showed she is back. Just one point too less to get the 3rd spot but keeping two at WC level is good. I think Livia has not fan fest, thought she has been skating a good season. I am too busy at personal life to start any.

Not the day for Belgium or Estonia, but Belgium still has two spots. Rink monster was hungry for Europeans expect the Swiss. Tall thin European skaters were not at it's menu in Canada.

Congratulations to Us for 3 spot though Amber was so disappointed after her scores and all the medalists. I don't speculate who should have get what. I am fine with the results.

zebobes

Final Flight
I think it's interesting how five countries are dominating women right now: Japan, USA, Korea, Belgium, and Switzerland. With Belgium and Switzerland, it's not even like they are "fake Russians", it's just the strength of their own skaters. With Switzerland and Belgium, they also have other strong skaters in reserve or in juniors, so it's not just a one off with one good skater.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Managed to find a replay of the top three on TV without having to fiddle with the VPN, yay!

Chaeyeon does nothing for me. Good technique, nice moves, zero emotion.

I'm surprised Isabeau managed to keep it together at the right moment. It's weird, I don't want to like her, her jump entries are godawful and the landings are scary, but all the rest is just so expressive and elegant I can't help but be mesmerised.

I love Kaori. ❤️