A. Majorov's Dad/Coach fights Leukemia | Golden Skate

A. Majorov's Dad/Coach fights Leukemia

turquoiseblue

Final Flight
Alexander Majorov has announced today that his father, Alexander senior was diagnosed with a rare type of blood cancer known as severe MDS (myelodysplastic syndrome) in June, which later turned into acute leukemia. Although the doctors tried to search around the world for donors, there was no one who completely matched, so he became the donor for his father.

Alexander withdrew from Rostelecom Cup due to his second blood collection and recently had the operation extracting many of his bone marrow stem cells. He is now unable to practice due to physical pain and low blood count and has had to withdraw from the Swedish Nationals.

Here are the links to his blog entries:
English: http://alexandermajorov.com/2015/12/09/to-everyone-following-my-career/
Swedish: http://alexandermajorov.com/sv/2015/12/09/to-everyone-following-my-career/
Japanese: http://alexandermajorov.com/ja/2015/12/09/to-everyone-following-my-career/

Alexander senior trained for Alexei Mishin and kept skating until he was about 25.
Some old photos of him and Mishin at the Leningrad Championship in 1974:
http://alexandermajorov.com/photos/family/alexander-senior/

Alexander senior was one of Alexei Yagudin's first coaches. For those who are interested, here is an old but very informative article with many pictures published in 2006, where the father and son talk about Alexei, how the Majorov family moved to Sweden, how they once dreamed of going back to Russia, etc.:
Alexander Majorov times two - meet the father/son team

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
That is very sad news, but what a great deed on his father's benefit. Wishing both well- Alexander in his recovery from the procedure and Alexander senior in his fight against leukaemia.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Sad news indeed. Kudos to Alexander for supporting his father. I really hope things work out well for both of them.

ragdoll

On the Ice
I just saw on the morning news that he is in training again but can't perform all the jumps yet. He said that there will be no X-mas or New Year's celebrations for him because he will be spending all his time in training but he doesn't Think he will be able to get ready for European's in January.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
As an aside:

Robin Roberts, the anchor of ABC's Good Morning America, is a survivor of myelodysplastic syndrome (she was diagnosed after surviving breast cancer).

Robin received a bone marrow transplant from one of her sisters.​

Wishing the best for the Majorovs.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
What a great thing to do for his father. Wish them all the best for the future!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hope they both get well soon!

We call people heroes for what they do on the sporting field, erroneously. But here is a true hero, a noble, selfless sacrifice to save the life of someone he loves. If he should make it to Worlds, I will cheer extra hard for him. :love:

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
That's so brave of him.
Wishing all the best to both father and son, hoping that Alexander sr will recover and Alexander jr will make it back to competition.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What a great son! May they both recover soon! And thanks golden411icecoverage for telling that Robin Roberts survived this disease. It gives me hope that all will be well, eventually.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
That is a sad but touching story. Thank you for letting us know. Wishing all the best for the father and son.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Alexander senior was diagnosed with a rare type of blood cancer known as severe MDS (myelodysplastic syndrome) in June, which later turned into acute leukemia. ....

What a great son! May they both recover soon! And thanks golden411icecoverage for telling that Robin Roberts survived this disease. It gives me hope that all will be well, eventually.

I don't remember the medical details regarding Robin, so I should add a caveat that the part about father Majorov's MDS turning into acute leukemia could mean his case is especially daunting.

And Robin's battle against MDS was tough. But I share your hope that recovery eventually will be possible for Majorov senior, with the help of the bone marrow from his loving son.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I hope they both get well soon!

We call people heroes for what they do on the sporting field, erroneously. But here is a true hero, a noble, selfless sacrifice to save the life of someone he loves. If he should make it to Worlds, I will cheer extra hard for him. :love:

What lovely words, karne! And they are all so true! :agree:

All the best to Alexander Senior in his fight against the leukaemia, and to Alexander Junior in his recovery from this loving action.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hope Dad and Son both get back to normal soon. Love and the wisdom for the priorities in life will serve Alexander well.

deedee1

Record Breaker
So sorry to learn of his father's illness. and many thanks to turquoiseblue for letting us know about this.
IIRC Sasha junior has been injured on Achilless tendon for quite some time, and now his father's unfortunate desease.... It seems he can't take a break from a series of misfortunes. :cry:

I agree with Violet Bliss; there are priorities in life. Skating and its training can wait. My sincere wishes to the Majorov. A complete recovery and good health for both of them.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I now have so much more respect for Alexander. Decided to save the life of his father by donating his own bone marrow. And sacrificing skating for a bit of time because of it. An act of heroism.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wishing all the best to Alexander & his dad. This is truly understanding priorities in life.

Spot

On the Ice
A bit late but all the best to them both! And good to see him in the Swedish team for Europeans!