Alysa Liu announces Comeback | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu announces Comeback

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As a returning skater of her caliber, I believe she is given an assignment. I don't remember the rules by heart but Chan, Virtue/Moir got assignments when they returned.
There's some sort of returning skater rule. I'm sure someone smarter than me knows the details.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
There's some sort of returning skater rule. I'm sure someone smarter than me knows the details.
Here is the 2023-24 Grand Prix announcement. Page 3 has the relevant rule:

“Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at a ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons will be given priority consideration to re-enter the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating for selection of up to 2 assignments if they commit in writing to participating in two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events and if such return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection Meeting. Such so called “Come Back Skaters/Couples” will not substitute any of the Seeded Skaters/Couples, mentioned under a). “Come Back Skaters/Couples” must not fulfil the requirements of the minimum Grand Prix score and would be considered for selection as an Organizing ISU Member Choice. A come back under this clause is allowed only once in their competitive career for any Skater/Couple.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope she can be herself. I loved the way she skated, the power and enthusiasm and even her programs, but when I then saw her outside of skating I felt this is not the same person. Do you have to present just yourself on the ice? Of course not. Of course you can play roles if that's what you like. Or maybe she didn't play a role, maybe it was just a different side of her. Still it seemed that was not her but someone she was because figure skating expected her to be this person.
So, my wish now for her is to be able to feel right on the ice, like she's not pressed in a frame.
(I don't even know if I should say she or they. I'm so used to her being this girl, but did she not prefer they?)
She uses both she and they pronouns.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have no clue what shape Alysa is in or if she will even get her triples back but this does make me smile. And if she does get her jumps back and keeps improving her speed as she was doing in the Olympic season watch out because she was the best competitor the US ladies had even for as short a career as she had. To be honest i'm still bummed she didn't get chosen for the team competition since she was the clear cut number 1 lady that season or she would be getting a Olympic Gold medal to go along with a World medal. To be honest the US needs someone who's tough under pressure to get that 3rd spot back if it doesn't happen in a few weeks.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I have no clue what shape Alysa is in or if she will even get her triples back but this does make me smile. And if she does get her jumps back and keeps improving her speed as she was doing in the Olympic season watch out because she was the best competitor the US ladies had even for as short a career as she had. To be honest i'm still bummed she didn't get chosen for the team competition since she was the clear cut number 1 lady that season or she would be getting a Olympic Gold medal to go along with a World medal. To be honest the US needs someone who's tough under pressure to get that 3rd spot back if it doesn't happen in a few weeks.
They already do - See the links posted earlier in this thread.

I'm so glad that they're back, and hopefully doing things on their own terms. It seemed like Mr. Liu was quite the driving force before.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if they didn't pick her because she had had Covid at Nationals and they didn't know how she would be performing. Oh well, doesn't matter anymore.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Good for her, and good to know she's returning on her own terms, like someone said. Her return is going to make competitions more exciting for me. I like Bradie who has been struggling with injuries in the last several years, and I'm worried she'll retire soon, and I also like Lindsay and Starr. But Alisa would be my new US women fave. I liked her classiness and vibrant skating in her last junior and first senior year.

pesto

On the Ice
I'm very pleased with this news, and hope it goes well for her. I feel as if she has a lot more to give.