Ashley Wagner has earned U.S. spot for Sochi? | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner has earned U.S. spot for Sochi?

wallylutz

Medalist
I think Nagasu will be the one left off the team. The reason being she has been given many chances to prove herself internationally since the Vancouver Olympics but has little to show for in the last 4 years. What's the probability that the judges will suddenly change their mind about Nagasu? Not very likely. That's the cold reality for many skaters once people formed a preconception about them due to repeating and persistent issues in their skating. An example is Mao's Triple Axel. Rightly or wrongly, judges are more likely to perceive her Triple Axel as being UR when the jump is borderline.

So if one answers the question of "potential", one will likely lead to the conclusion that even if Nagasu skates as good as she can, chances are she will not get very high marks in the Olympics or at Worlds because of the disrepute she has accumulated, namely consistent UR and/or downgrades.

If this turns out to be the case, I think the like of Mathman and other like minded people will be sad - though the fact is, USFS hasn't always gone with 1-2-3 at the U.S. Nationals even though some people like to believe in this fallacy to begin with.

mihalina

Spectator
Ashley sucks. There's nothing special about her skating and I hope she doesn't get a spot on the Olympic team.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Wagner should stay at home and be left off the team
so unfair for Mirai or Polina E.

she's no Daisuke
this girl hasn't even been into the Worlds podium !
what a joke

Kissx3

Final Flight
Yeah I don't see it happening. USFSA has only really done this kind of thing when there are extenuating circumstances beyond having lost in a fair competition. Beyond that, you have to wonder if they see it as wise to jump knee deep into poop for someone who would now be going in as a non-medalist with immense pressure and is going to have to work hard to finish 5th or 6th regardless.

wootie

Match Penalty
Ashley sucks. There's nothing special about her skating and I hope she doesn't get a spot on the Olympic team.

Ok, this is obviously skyfly20 posting under a brand new account. Please stop trolling.

Anyway, I do believe Ashley Wagner will be named to the Olympic squad considering her experience over the past few years and her generally impressive resume. While tonight was indeed embarrassing (and points to a certain level of mental weakness), Ashley has worked hard over the past few years to get to these Sochi games, and it would seem downright mean to leave her off the team because of one lousy competition (even if it is Nationals). I think she's earned a spot (certainly more than Mirai Nagasu), but we shall see.

Danibellerika

Medalist
All I know is I'd feel really bad for whoever gets bumped. I get that Wagner's been out there, but she doesn't even have a world medal to show for it this whole quad and I wouldn't consider her a medal favorite for the games either (individually anyway). I would think they'd bump Edmunds before Mirai due to her lack of international experience on the senior level. But at the same time it could be good to give her this experience. I just can't believe Wagner couldn't manage top 3 here to avoid the committee having to make this decision to begin with.

xhpx1026

Spectator
I think they should send the three ladies who seem to be peaking and right now, that is not Ashley Wagner. If she froze like this at Nationals, how can they be sure that she won't do this at the Olympics?

mihalina

Spectator
I'm a new member and have no idea who you're referring to. I've watched figure skating for years and just found this site...I don't like ashley and feel that the 3 top girls deserve to go. Please don't assume anything. I'm allowed to voice my opinion and I don't think ashley deserves to go

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Ok, this is obviously skyfly20 posting under a brand new account. Please stop trolling.

umm. no :eek:hwell:
having multiple accounts reeks of desperation

Wagner can compete at Worlds
but the Top 3 should go to the Olympics

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I'm a new member and have no idea who you're referring to. I've watched figure skating for years and just found this site...I don't like ashley and feel that the 3 top girls deserve to go. Please don't assume anything. I'm allowed to voice my opinion and I don't think ashley deserves to go

By all means voice your opinion but please do it respectfully.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This it really terrible. There were more accomplished skaters in the past who if they didn't get it done at Nationals would have stayed home.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
they keep on insisting a skater who passed her peak for the season
we all know how that turned out for Cziny and Flatt going into Worlds

Czisny placed 22nd !

Kirk

Rinkside
I think Nagasu will be the one left off the team. The reason being she has been given many chances to prove herself internationally since the Vancouver Olympics but has little to show for in the last 4 years. What's the probability that the judges will suddenly change their mind about Nagasu? Not very likely. That's the cold reality for many skaters once people formed a preconception about them due to repeating and persistent issues in their skating. An example is Mao's Triple Axel. Rightly or wrongly, judges are more likely to perceive her Triple Axel as being UR when the jump is borderline.

This. Mirai had four years to prove herself but failed to sufficiently do so. Yet she appeals her olympic experience as to why she has to be chosen. How unworthy. She had her chance and now it is time to give it to someone who fought so well for the spots for more than two seasons.

lavender

Record Breaker
Nationals isn't the deciding factor. It's in their rules so there's that. I will feel bad for Mirai if she gets left off.

RABID

Final Flight
This. Mirai had four years to prove herself but failed to sufficiently do so. Yet she appeals her olympic experience as to why she has to be chosen. How unworthy. She had her chance and now it is time to give it to someone who fought so well for the spots for more than two seasons.

I couldn't believe the applause she got. It is a good thing I wasn't there. As it was I was yelling at my TV; "Stop practicing!!!". As far as I am concerned it would be not only a waste but a disgrace to send her to Sochi for whatever that was.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker

I would hardly call being a 4 time National medalist who has medaled on the Senior GP every season unworthy. She threw it down both programs when it counted and did so in Vancouver as well. If we are taking past accomplishments in consideration the above should too. Send the Seniors.

Zelig

Spectator
I couldn't believe the applause she got. It is a good thing I wasn't there. As it was I was yelling at my TV; "Stop practicing!!!". As far as I am concerned it would be not only a waste but a disgrace to send her to Sochi for whatever that was.

Did you shriek “stop falling down” at Christina, Ashley W., Ashley C. and all of the others who had poor skates?