Ashley Wagner has earned U.S. spot for Sochi? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner has earned U.S. spot for Sochi?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Again if one is even considering Mirai being chosen over Ashley, then there is NO chance of Mirai being picked over Polina. If National results are so easily overlooked that Mirai might be picked over Polina, then Ashley is a 120% lock to be picked over both. Some of you are delusional in your way of thinking, and I must add delusionaly biased in your love for Mirai.

I agree. I don't understand the argument of sending Mirai over Polina. Being objective, both have a 0% chance of medaling. Polina would not get the same PCS in Sochi, but neither would Mirai; the Olympic judges would slam Mirai's empty program. If there were only two spots and Ashley was out of the picture, would Mirai's record the last few seasons entitle her to a bump over a second place finisher? To me, the answer is an obvious no. I know there are a lot of Mirai fans here, but honestly she was not that good last night and doesn't have the stellar record needed to get the spot by kicking off a higher place finisher.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Again if one is even considering Mirai being chosen over Ashley, then there is NO chance of Mirai being picked over Polina. If National results are so easily overlooked that Mirai might be picked over Polina, then Ashley is a 120% lock to be picked over both. Some of you are delusional in your way of thinking, and I must add delusionaly biased in your love for Mirai.

I think it comes from the fact that this is going to stray from most ladies Olympic selection in the fact that normally the National medalist are normally selected. Every one is one the defensive because someone's heart is no doubt going to be broken. I wouldn't call myself delusional when it comes to Mirai, the girl put her heart on her sleeve and went for and she has to be respected for that, at least when it counted she was able to medal. I hope she stays in and considers training with Yuka Sato and Jason. I feel they would be a great match for her.

RABID

Final Flight
Senior level comp to me is more valuable than junior comp to me and at least we know Mirai can handle Olympic pressure. I feel Polina was over scored on PSC in the short and would have had Mirai second at that point and Polina herself had a fall in the long. I think Polina has great tech content but lacks polish. At least Mirai showed she can stand up when it counts, both programs. To me that says a lot.

I am finished making judgements about Mirai but just one last thing, she showed poor fitness last night. If she has been dealing with lingering injuries then I can be more forgiving but if not poor fitness is never an excuse. I haven't read all the comments here so I don't know. Has some lingering injuries effected her training? Do you know?

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I am finished making judgements about Mirai but just one last thing, she showed poor fitness last night. If she has been dealing with lingering injuries then I can be more forgiving but if not poor fitness is never an excuse. I haven't read all the comments here so I don't know. Has some lingering injuries effected her training? Do you know?
I haven't heard anything, she has been relatively quiet about pretty much everything. I talked to a few people who were at the arena and they thought she looked good and was actually pretty fast. I do notice a difference watching a skater live than on TV.

Edited: should have put live not love lol

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Funny, Jeremy's lack of major international medals is seen as " inconsistent for years", but Wagner's lack of major international medals is seen as "by far the top US skater for almost 3 years". Don't forget that Jeremy was two time National Champ at the time, has gotten GPF gold and several GP golds before. He has gotten the fifth place in the previous world before that Nationals I believe. I don't see what he was lacking compare with Wagner?

His GPF gold was over 2 years ago though. So it did not factor into the 2011 World Team selection at all. Just as Mirai's 4th place at the Olympics 4 years ago is meaningless to the selection considerations now. Wagner in the last 2 years has won 3 grand prix events, medalled at the last 2 GPFs. In the last year one year she has medalled at the Grand Prix final and won a grand prix event gold and silver. Abbott had done nothing like that (recently) leading into Nationals 2013. He did not even make the grand prix final that year, and had bombed at the Olympics the previous year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Funny, Jeremy's lack of major international medals is seen as " inconsistent for years", but Wagner's lack of major international medals is seen as "by far the top US skater for almost 3 years". Don't forget that Jeremy was two time National Champ at the time, has gotten GPF gold and several GP golds before. He has gotten the fifth place in the previous world before that Nationals I believe. I don't see what he was lacking compare with Wagner?

I believe the USFSA regretted not sending Jeremy to Worlds that year based on the awful finishes of those who were sent, and that has led them to alter selection the rules a bit.

In the future it might be better to announce those who made the team before the event starts so the other skaters know how many spots they are fighting for.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I haven't heard anything, she has been relatively quiet about pretty much everything. I talked to a few people who were at the arena and they thought she looked good and was actually pretty fast. I do notice a difference watching a skater live than on TV. Edited: should have put live not love lol

Sorry that should be live not love* I received an error when I tried to edit*

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Senior level comp to me is more valuable than junior comp to me and at least we know Mirai can handle Olympic pressure. I feel Polina was over scored on PSC in the short and would have had Mirai second at that point and Polina herself had a fall in the long. I think Polina has great tech content but lacks polish. At least Mirai showed she can stand up when it counts, both programs. To me that says a lot.

All I am saying is if there is even a chance of Mirai being picked over Polina then Ashley is a lock. Likewise if there is even a chance of Ashley being left off then Polina is a lock over Mirai. Plain and simple. The fact some are acting like Mirai is pretty safe to make it over Polina and Ashley and if Ashley is picked Polina is for sure the one off then, but Ashley is danger of being off the team at the same time, is majorly skewed thinking with no sense of realism at all. If Nationals results are so important that Ashley even might be left off, then Polina is the one who is the lock, and the debate would only be Mirai vs Wagner. If Nationals results are so easily overriden to the point Mirai even might be taken over Polina, then Wagner is a lock, and the debate would be Mirai vs Polina. There is no scenario where Mirai is a lock to be named.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Abbott's past two GP seasons have been a 2nd and 5th in 2012, and a 3rd and 6th in 2013; no GPF; he qualified for worlds in 2012 and placed 8th and didn't qualify in 2013. Wagner has won 3 out of 4 GP events in the past two seasons (silver at the 4th one); silver and bronze at the past two GPFs; and placed 4th and 5th in the past two Worlds.

Abbott's win at the GPF is about as significant to his current condition as Czisny's win (and hers was two years more recent). Ashley however has medaled at both of the past two GPFs.
I don't see how anyone could put them in the same boat when it comes to international results in the past two years.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
All I am saying is if there is even a chance of Mirai being picked over Polina then Ashley is a lock. Likewise if there is even a chance of Ashley being left off then Polina is a lock over Mirai. Plain and simple. The fact some are acting like Mirai is pretty safe to make it over Polina and Ashley and if Ashley is picked Polina is for sure the one off then, but Ashley is danger of being off the team at the same time, is majorly skewed thinking with no sense of realism at all. If Nationals results are so important that Ashley even might be left off, then Polina is the one who is the lock, and the debate would only be Mirai vs Wagner. If Nationals results are so easily overriden to the point Mirai even might be taken over Polina, then Wagner is a lock, and the debate would be Mirai vs Polina. There is no scenario where Mirai is a lock to be named.
I are see what your saying. I think of Polina were a second year senior it would be different scenario I guess. Press conference is very soon. I'm nervous:(

Kissx3

Final Flight
I just can't look forward to this precedent being set. Looking back through the decades, there have been plenty of skaters with strong resumes being left out of WC/OG because they didn't deliver. It seemed the leeway only existed for actual extenuating circumstances beyond being defeated in fair contest. I'm not anticipating watching Nats from now on and instead of being immersed in the competition, waiting for the other shoe to drop. But they gonna do what they gonna do.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I just can't look forward to this precedent being set. Looking back through the decades, there have been plenty of skaters with strong resumes being left out of WC/OG because they didn't deliver. It seemed the leeway only existed for actual extenuating circumstances beyond being defeated in fair contest. I'm not anticipating watching Nats from now on and instead of being immersed in the competition, waiting for the other shoe to drop. But they gonna do what they gonna do.

The rules are different now.

amc987

On the Ice
Okay, first and foremost, I don't get all of these people who are saying that to pick Ashley would be against the rules. The USFSA wrote the rules. There are 8 competitions that are used in calculating who makes the Olympic team. Nationals is ONE event. Historically, yes, usually the top finishers at Nationals go to the Olympics, but the rules have changed. Picking Wagner would in no way violate the current rules.

Second, Polina has no chance of medaling in Sochi. She wouldn't have medaled on the senior GP either. Her best international score for a CLEAN program is 114. The fact that she got 126 for the program she did last night is just an example of US Nationals inflation. The posters who say she doesn't have a hope of placing top 6 are, IMO, correct. She's not mature enough yet- really she makes Radionova and Hicks look polished- even though she has potential.

Third, Mirai has no chance of medaling in Sochi either. Her best scores are competitive with the best in the world, but it's been 3 years since she got her career-high score at 2011 4CC.

I personally would send Gracie, Ashley, and Mirai. I don't believe in sending someone whose only international experience is junior experience to the Olympics and senior Worlds. She can go to Junior Worlds. She will be a factor next quad. This is probably Mirai's last chance at the Olympics and she did place in the top 3. Plus she medaled on the GP this year and last year. For the life of me, I don't understand why they didn't place Mirai ahead of Polina and then bump the 3rd place person.

The Olympics and Worlds aren't events you send anyone to. You send the best teams you can to win medals/ secure spots for the next season. In any rational calculation, that team includes Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner.

Icey

Record Breaker
I just realized that even with two falls, Ashley still executed 5 clean triples. Far below her standard but not exactly deplorable.

Are jumps with a negative goe considered clean? If they aren't she got nowhere 5 clean triples. Look at the protocols.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Are jumps with a negative goe considered clean? If they aren't she got nowhere 5 clean triples. Look at the protocols.

She two-footed we second flip so that's 4 clean triples (3F, 3S, 3Z, 3L). However negative GOE is often applied for things like the second jump in a combo failing (so the first jump is still technically clean if it was executed as such) or a flutz (technically clean but poor technique... people debate about this one), or a scratchy landing/bad air position, or body wild/forward on the landing but still "clean".

I remember when Mroz landed the first quad lutz several judges gave him negative GOE because they felt it wasn't preceded by steps, for example. Protocols don't always tell the tale.

Nadia01

Final Flight
She two-footed we second flip so that's 4 clean triples (3F, 3S, 3Z, 3L). However negative GOE is often applied for things like the second jump in a combo failing (so the first jump is still technically clean if it was executed as such) or a flutz (technically clean but poor technique... people debate about this one), or a scratchy landing/bad air position, or body wild/forward on the landing but still "clean".

I remember when Mroz landed the first quad lutz several judges gave him negative GOE because they felt it wasn't preceded by steps, for example. Protocols don't always tell the tale.

I don't know how you can call flutz & lip "technically clean." They're flawed from the very take off!