Caroline Zhang: How does she feel about missing Worlds? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang: How does she feel about missing Worlds?

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
You know, sometimes a skater just has a bad day. It happens to everyone so why don't we let the rest of the competition finish before we declare Caroline some type of failure? Skating fans are so fickle sometimes. :eek:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't anyone was calling Zhang a failure. Maybe Hersh hinted at it but that's about it I think.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
All I can say is that if we don't get the three spots after this worlds, and Caroline is 3rd next year at nationals....now that is something she might have trouble getting over.

Then she better start fixing all the problems in her basic skating. If she finishes third again she'll have no one to blame but herself.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I don't anyone was calling Zhang a failure. Maybe Hersh hinted at it but that's about it I think.

I agree. Caroline had a bad skate and folks are going to discuss that. Whether you are a fan or not we all know she is capable of doing much better I don't think I have ever seen such a poor skate from Caroline. I was concerned that she might be sick or injured but it seems like it was just a bad skate, Hopefully she will pull herself together tomorrow and do better. Go Caroline!!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I haven't actually watched it (and judging from what I hear, I don't think I will).

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's funny how opinions bounce up and down on the basis of the latest outing.

Caroline was way behind Alissa after the short program at U.S. nationals. Alissa finally achieved her rightful place; Caroline is awful (Mirai is even worse)!

Caroline did better in the LP. Caroline was robbed; Alissa is a fraud!

Caroline skated well at Four Continents. Caroline is our Olympic hope; USFS should immediately axe Rachael and send Caroline to Worlds!

Caroline falters in the short program at Junior worlds. She needs to go back to novices and start over; go Ashley!

Caroline comes back in the LP at junior wortlds... :)

:laugh: I so agree! This is why I try my best not to excessively hype or buy into the excessive hype of anyone. The uber hype fans typically are bitten by karma. Figure skating is way too unpredictable of a sport to say that anyone is "a sure bet" or "the best". I root for my favorites to do their bests, and that's that. I don't ever claim that they are going to win a championship easily, though I do always hope for the best for them. You many times set yourself up for disappointment when you expect too much. Skaters are human, after all. They all have their strengths and their weaknesses, and no one is perfect. :)

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
So much about this biggest hope for US ladies skating! Wake up people!

She is sitting in 7th place in the SP at junior worlds, with 6 skaters still to go!

She BELONGS to junior worlds, not to the seniors!

You were too quick to judge her, weren't you? What about apology?

herios

Medalist
You were too quick to judge her, weren't you? What about apology?

Nothing to apologize. She still has a lot of work to do. Her PCS scores are just sending her a clear message, She is still only a jumping bean. Not to mention her technical basic quality.

hanca

Record Breaker
Nothing to apologize. She still has a lot of work to do. Her PCS scores are just sending her a clear message, She is still only a jumping bean. Not to mention her technical basic quality.

Apology to us. I found your tone so patronising. (see below)

QUOTE=herios;375686] So much about this biggest hope for US ladies skating! Wake up people! [/QUOTE]

By the way, you can have of course your own opinion, but how do you know that she won't become the best US hope? I think you are just too keen to find flaws in her skating. What about the positives? How many juniours had results at Junior Worlds 1st, 2nd, 2nd? I am not saying that her jumps are any great, the take off with high kick is not pretty, but at the same time, Nakano has wrap and is still ranked high internationally. No one is perfect and Caroline is just 15 years old!

LeCygne

Final Flight

Wow, never thought I'd hear Caroline be called a jumping bean.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Apology to us. I found your tone so patronising. (see below)

QUOTE=herios;375686] So much about this biggest hope for US ladies skating! Wake up people!

By the way, you can have of course your own opinion, but how do you know that she won't become the best US hope? I think you are just too keen to find flaws in her skating. What about the positives? How many juniours had results at Junior Worlds 1st, 2nd, 2nd? I am not saying that her jumps are any great, the take off with high kick is not pretty, but at the same time, Nakano has wrap and is still ranked high internationally. No one is perfect and Caroline is just 15 years old!

There is no need for an apology, to ANYONE. Not everyone has to love slow-skating, mule-kicking generic baby ballerina's with no personality. Caroline has been hyped as the second coming, yet she consistently shows that she's not THAT great. She has flaws and weaknesses, just as much as any other skater. I still don't see her as the next great hope for US figure skating.

krenseby

Final Flight
There is no need for an apology, to ANYONE. Not everyone has to love slow-skating, mule-kicking generic baby ballerina's with no personality. Caroline has been hyped as the second coming, yet she consistently shows that she's not THAT great. She has flaws and weaknesses, just as much as any other skater. I still don't see her as the next great hope for US figure skating.

Don't you hope though that she does something about her stroking, edges, and speed? I would love to see that!

hanca

Record Breaker
But everyone should employ common courtesy and kind-heartedness. (Just my opinion.)

:agree: :rock: :clap:

I am not any huge fan of Caroline Zhang, but I do feel a bit fed up about how she is being treated by some people. It seems that she can generate quite strong feelings in people; in some people obviously positive feelings, in some negative ones. We are talking about a 15 year old girl, who works her butt off to improve. She is reasonably succesfull internationaly. She has flaws as anyone else does, but not more than others. I think she achieved much more than many of other current US ladies. Don't you think she deserve some respect?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I won't speak for anyone else, but personally, I see no reason to pick on Zhang. Yes, she has her issues but it's not worth losing it over. And she doesn't have the numbers of rabid uberfans that certain other skaters do to drive folks up the wall.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by AwesomeIce

Caroline has not been hyped as the second coming for a long, long time. Back then, I was a big detractor of Zhang, and I'm still not a big fan. I agree she has a lot of work to do, and I don't want to see her as World Champion until these things are fixed.

BUT, I do appreciate Caroline's moxy in that she clearly can put it down on the competition ice. I love her spirals and spins too. And I don't understand why you have to resort to being that mean towards a 15 year old...

I mean seriously seeing her picture makes you want to "vomit" seriously??????

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
And I don't understand why you have to resort to being that mean towards a 15 year old...

Mostly because anytime I say anything even remotely critical of Caroline, her ubers go berserk and make me dislike both them and her even more, and it certainly doesn't make me want to say anything nice about her. Additionally, I don't care at all for her skating, and off-ice she comes across as bratty and arrogant.