Caroline Zhang: How does she feel about missing Worlds? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang: How does she feel about missing Worlds?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ok... my good day just turned sour - if you have issues with a particular poster DON'T DRAG DOWN THREAD AFTER THREAD. Take the issues off the board, use the ignore feature, and above all don't bicker back and forth.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Nothing to apologize. She still has a lot of work to do. Her PCS scores are just sending her a clear message, She is still only a jumping bean. Not to mention her technical basic quality.

What about her spins? I think they are up there with the best in the world.

flying camel

Medalist
Say what you want about Caroline, but this year she has proven to be a very good competitor. I really respect her for that. If you think about it people complained about Tara & Sarah's jumps to know end.. But those two were great competitors. I believe that's why they were so sucessful. It's not always the person with the great technique who wins.

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
What about her spins? I think they are up there with the best in the world.

Here is my take on her spins: layback - very, very good ; flying sit spin -good; sit change sit - very good, camel - this one needs some work, she has difficulty centering and controling it.

feraina

Record Breaker
For a second, I thought I clicked on FSUniverse. :laugh:

Yeah, I sure feel like I'm living in an alternate universe, where suddenly FSU is a lot friendlier toward Caroline (especially since 4CC, but some of the good will apparently stayed even after an uneven JW), and GS is suddenly a lot less.

I always liked GS the best because even if posters disagreed and had clear favorites, mostly everyone was civil and even gracious, and the malicious trolls were regularly kicked off the board.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always liked GS the best because even if posters disagreed and had clear favorites, mostly everyone was civil and even gracious, and the malicious trolls were regularly kicked off the board.

Yes, let's keep this board friendly!

Re: Caroline, I'm thrilled she pulled herself up after what happened in the SP at Junior Worlds. :party: Phil Hersh has been unnecessarily harsh towards her (yes, I know it's not the first time he's been tough on a skater).

feraina

Record Breaker
That's just plain rude! But I guess this showed your true color. All your posts regarding Zhang should be read as hatred spam.

Unfortunately I can "ignore" but I can't help seeing other's quotes. Maybe if we all collectively ignore it would be more effective -- just as we should all ignore Phil Hersh's stupid pieces, instead of passing on the URL's and getting outraged, which I'm sure just boosts the click-count of his pages and encourages his employers to reward him for these pieces.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Devil's Advocate post: At least Hersh is still writing about skating. As they say, even negative attention may be better than none at all.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Smart people didn't make snap judgments based on one competition. Smart people listened to ME. :rofl:

2/8/09:
4CC wasn't worlds. Caroline is saddled with the PCS problems I mentioned which don't go away. Alissa is saddled with jump inconsistency which IS improved over previous seasons. It's like everyone in this thread can only see 4CC because it just happened, and they think nothing else could possibly happen at worlds. Caroline WOULD have the skate of her life AGAIN you say? OK. Can you pick me some lottery numbers too?

:sheesh:

AdamFan

Rinkside
Caroline has proven herself to be quite consistent in the long program this season and has steadily improved (especially her rotations) each time out.

Rooting for Alissa Czisny...is setting oneself up for failure.

I really have to wonder if Leaver is the answer for her jumps. Linda only ever had Brian become successful. Her other skaters (i.e. Gomez) really struggled with their jumps.

Perhaps Czisny should spend time with Christy Ness or another very technical coach. Czisny has wonky technique that needs fixing. I just don't see her absorbing Boitano's technique---their styles are so different. Chen Lu worked with Ness---and she always stalled in mid air before starting to rotate her jumps. I could see Ness fixing Czisny's unusual technique (and possibly Zhang's.)

flying camel

Medalist
Caroline has proven herself to be quite consistent in the long program this season and has steadily improved (especially her rotations) each time out.

Rooting for Alissa Czisny...is setting oneself up for failure.

I really have to wonder if Leaver is the answer for her jumps. Linda only ever had Brian become successful. Her other skaters (i.e. Gomez) really struggled with their jumps.

Perhaps Czisny should spend time with Christy Ness or another very technical coach. Czisny has wonky technique that needs fixing. I just don't see her absorbing Boitano's technique---their styles are so different. Chen Lu worked with Ness---and she always stalled in mid air before starting to rotate her jumps. I could see Ness fixing Czisny's unusual technique (and possibly Zhang's.)

I think Brian makes Alissa believe in herself. That is important in sport. If you don't believe you can do it you wont.

The very question raised by the topic would certainly apply to any skater who had dreams of making a world team.

The description of Caroline Zhang and all the others with that dream is

disappointment

over and out already.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
The very question raised by the topic would certainly apply to any skater who had dreams of making a world team.

The description of Caroline Zhang and all the others with that dream is

disappointment

over and out already.

:agree:

feraina

Record Breaker
I could see Ness fixing Czisny's unusual technique (and possibly Zhang's.)

Caroline says Sondra Holmes has been her jumps coach (and she was her main coach up until Li took over, wasn't she?), but that now she's looking out for a new jumps and footwork coach (about time!) -- but no talk of leaving Li as her main coach. She also said that she's going to work on her speed, and on fixing her flip and lutz, in the off-season. And she said she's been stroking with the pairs guys in the rink to gain some speed (also she's been practicing SBS jumps and the throw 2R for fun, I hope she's just doing it for fun until she can go no farther with her singles career, as I think she still have a lot of room for improvement!).

As for Worlds, if she's still feeling disappointed, she's hiding it for now. She seems her usual upbeat self, joking around... I mean, she has to keep practicing anyway as the first alternate, right? So it's not like she can just forget about it and take a vacation or go off to a skate summer camp or something. But she fights back strong when she's down (as at JW this year), so hopefully missing out on world's this year will make her super serious about fixing her jumps and speed problems in the off season! I would *love* for her to turn up at competitions looking as fit and ready as Joannie Rochette has this season -- when you're that well trained, it totally shows, and it allows you to be mentally relaxed/strong, too.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Yes, Caroline is the first alternate. It is her responsability to keep her mule-kick in top form. I wonder if she will do any Stars on Ice shows. I may have to smuggle in my Nikon SLR and telephoto lens. :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Yes, Caroline is the first alternate. It is her responsability to keep her mule-kick in top form. I wonder if she will do any Stars on Ice shows. I may have to smuggle in my Nikon SLR and telephoto lens. :)

I don't know about Caroline and SOI. I would think that Alissa or Rachael might get invited to perform since they are competing at Worlds. We will have to wait and see.

Off topic-B/A and, Evan will be joining the tour (after Worlds) for the six shows in the eastern states and I believe Kimmie will also be performing at those stops..

LeCygne

Final Flight
Caroline says Sondra Holmes has been her jumps coach (and she was her main coach up until Li took over, wasn't she?), but that now she's looking out for a new jumps and footwork coach (about time!) -- but no talk of leaving Li as her main coach. She also said that she's going to work on her speed, and on fixing her flip and lutz, in the off-season. And she said she's been stroking with the pairs guys in the rink to gain some speed (also she's been practicing SBS jumps and the throw 2R for fun, I hope she's just doing it for fun until she can go no farther with her singles career, as I think she still have a lot of room for improvement!).

Sorry, I've been wondering for a while, do you know Caroline? Live near her or something? If so, I'm insanely jealous. :p

lcd

Match Penalty
How do the skaters who get to join COI tour get chosen? It's obviously a great opportunity and a chance for local audiences to support skaters.