Challenger Series for 2022-23 season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Challenger Series for 2022-23 season

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Vegas was super-convenient. That rink they had for SC last year, it was apparently at the UBC grounds, so there were no convenient way to get there and the prices in Vancouver are insane too. I am happy to have the JWC in Calgary next year, that's for sure.
thunderbird... i have been there. I lived not far away... but there are tons of cheap accommodations available on campus.. it's just that most people wouldn't think of it and book hotels far away downtown. What used to suck there is the food options... but that's changed as well... Vegas is Vegas of course.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lake Placid instead of SCOB/Norwood?

Interesting. I wouldn't be going to either, but I don't think public transportation to Lake Placid is an option:scratch2:

Although if I were, Lake Placid is the same amount of miles from me as Boston. Almost exactly. And a nicer drive. ;)
Lake Placid is not good news for me. I’ve no idea how I’d get there. And I can’t take another drive like last year. I made it home 15 minutes before having to go to the ER.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
thunderbird... i have been there. I lived not far away... but there are tons of cheap accommodations available on campus.. it's just that most people wouldn't think of it and book hotels far away downtown. What used to suck there is the food options... but that's changed as well... Vegas is Vegas of course.
My mom couldn't find anything, and she travels on the shoestring all the time, like hostels and stuff. If there is a way to find accommodations on campus, I would be game.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
My mom couldn't find anything, and she travels on the shoestring all the time, like hostels and stuff. If there is a way to find accommodations on campus, I would be game.
yeah there is... if it happens there in the future, i will share links

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m going to have to figure out how to get there just in the case Gracie should enter it. The Amtrak page says I can’t get there from here.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
They might have chosen Lake Placid because the 2023 Winter Universiade is scheduled to take place there in January. Although I don't recall the U.S. taking part in previous years, we could see some fresh faces competing internationally! See: https://www.lakeplacid2023.com/

I would be happy if two of Finland, Estonia and Republic of Korea were allocated Grand Prix events (Italy has the GPF and hopefully the return of big cheeses!)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lake Placid is lovely (I went there for Skate America in 2017) but super hard to get to without a car. I took Amtrak from Penn Station and then took a shuttle bus for the final 45 minutes or so since there is no train station in the mountains. I got super friendly with the 5 or 6 Uber drivers in town, lol.

I imagine September must be a nice time to visit - no snow yet.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lake Placid is lovely (I went there for Skate America in 2017) but super hard to get to without a car. I took Amtrak from Penn Station and then took a shuttle bus for the final 45 minutes or so since there is no train station in the mountains. I got super friendly with the 5 or 6 Uber drivers in town, lol.

I imagine September must be a nice time to visit - no snow yet.
There is a Lake Placid Train Station - is it not in Lake Placid? I’m guessing there’s not an airport. How did they hold an Olympics there?

I think I’m reduced to begging: please send Gracie somewhere USFS. Somewhere that’s not here.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is a Lake Placid Train Station - is it not in Lake Placid? I’m guessing there’s not an airport. How did they hold an Olympics there?

I think I’m reduced to begging: please send Gracie somewhere USFS. Somewhere that’s not here.

Are you referring to this? Amtrak does not stop there, it goes to a town called Westport and then you take a shuttle from Westport to Lake Placid - about a 45 minute drive up to Lake Placid/Saranac Lake.

There is a small airport as well in Lake Placid, but mostly for private planes.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FYI for @moonvine:

For 2017 Skate America, I traveled from NYC Penn Station to Lake Placid -- same routing as @apgold's, although we did not travel together.
Amtrak no longer offers what was available in 2017.
But in 2017, what I purchased from Amtrak for travel to Lake Placid was a two-part "Train" ticket.
The first part of my Amtrak ticket was for Train #69, which was a real train from NYC to Westport, NY.
The second part of my Amtrak ticket was for the shuttle bus from Westport to Lake Placid. Although my Amtrak receipt refers to it as "Train #7169" to Lake Placid, it was not a real train.

When making plans for 2019 JGP Lake Placid, I discovered that Amtrak no longer was an option.
In 2019, I had to take a bus from NYC Port Authority to Albany, and then connect to a different bus from Albany to Lake Placid.​

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FYI for @moonvine:

For 2017 Skate America, I traveled from NYC Penn Station to Lake Placid -- same routing as @apgold's, although we did not travel together.​
Amtrak no longer offers what was available in 2017.​
But in 2017, what I purchased from Amtrak for travel to Lake Placid was a two-part "Train" ticket.​
The first part of my Amtrak ticket was for Train #69, which was a real train from NYC to Westport, NY.​
The second part of my Amtrak ticket was for the shuttle bus from Westport to Lake Placid. Although my Amtrak receipt refers to it as "Train #7169" to Lake Placid, it was not a real train.​
When making plans for 2019 JGP Lake Placid, I discovered that Amtrak no longer was an option.​
In 2019, I had to take a bus from NYC Port Authority to Albany, and then connect to a different bus from Albany to Lake Placid.​
Hmm, good to know that Amtrak stopped running that route.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you referring to this? Amtrak does not stop there, it goes to a town called Westport and then you take a shuttle from Westport to Lake Placid - about a 45 minute drive up to Lake Placid/Saranac Lake.

There is a small airport as well in Lake Placid, but mostly for private planes.
When I went to the Amtrak page and put in St Louis as the starting point snd Westpoint as the ending point I got “no routes available” or some such thing. I’m still amazed they had an Olympics there with people coming in from literally all over the world. More than one, in fact.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
When I went to the Amtrak page and put in St Louis as the starting point snd Westpoint as the ending point I got “no routes available” or some such thing. I’m still amazed they had an Olympics there with people coming in from literally all over the world. More than one, in fact.
You might be able to take Amtrak from St Louis to Albany NY, which is the closest biggish city, and then a bus from Albany as Ice Coverage mentions above.

Lake Placid is lovely, but those thinking of getting around on foot should know that there are some pretty steep hills there that can make strolling around town less than pleasant for the less fit, or less mobile. There is a Best Western directly across from the rink, a short, easy walk from the restaurants and shops, very convenient. If I were to go again, that would be my first choice.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You might be able to take Amtrak from St Louis to Albany NY, which is the closest biggish city, and then a bus from Albany as Ice Coverage mentions above.

Lake Placid is lovely, but those thinking of getting around on foot should know that there are some pretty steep hills there that can make strolling around town less than pleasant for the less fit, or less mobile. There is a Best Western directly across from the rink, a short, easy walk from the restaurants and shops, very convenient. If I were to go again, that would be my first choice.
I would only go on the off chance Gracie is assigned to go there. It’s just too much of a pain. Not a relatively straight shot (only one stop and that in Chicago).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You can get commercial flight into Adirondack Regional Airport in Saranac Lake (SLK is the air code) from Boston Logan (BOS) and back. Cape Air offers 2-3 daily flights between the two airports. That is how you get there via air. You'd have to get an uber or something from the Saranac Airport to Lake Placid then. It would be about a 15 minute ride, as Lake Placid is about 9.5 miles away from Saranac Lake.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can get commercial flight into Adirondack Regional Airport in Saranac Lake (SLK is the air code) from Boston Logan (BOS) and back. Cape Air offers 2-3 daily flights between the two airports. That is how you get there via air. You'd have to get an uber or something from the Saranac Airport to Lake Placid then. It would be about a 15 minute ride, as Lake Placid is about 9.5 miles away from Saranac Lake.
Thank you.