Czisny Parts With Coach | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Czisny Parts With Coach

kandidy

Final Flight
Agreed with many posters that she should have done this parting many years before. She just stayed in her comfort zone with her claimed beautiful artistry,but poor speed, execution and jumping technic.
Maybe because I saw her in world 2007 and she was so off and slow and that always left as my impression on her.

That year (I forget) she made a statement in Atlantic City Skate America, and went on to win Skate Canada. only to melt in the GPF and all ensuing comps until she won Nats is a puzzle no one understood. She had some of the best skaters give her pointers which helped but the underlying cause is that she needed a sports shrink to get all her talent together. Jeremy Abbott, I believe got one, and it shows.

Landing jumps on weak legs is pyschological. It doesn't happen at practice sessions.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I have to say that yes I wish she had this decision a year or two(or 4) ago, BUT I am thrilled that there is a possibility that she is coming back for another season or two:love: I think she is such a beautiful & talented skater. Im hoping a coaching change will be what she needed. I have to agree with others that say Yuka Sato may be what she needs. She seems to be a very calming person & it seems to have worked with Jeremy. But I will support any decision she makes. :agree: I also look forward to new programs for her. I always have enjoyed the programs that she has gone with in the past and look forward to future ones :biggrin: I also think that when she does eventually retire she will be a wonderful show skater, once all that pressure is off & she can skate to what she wants with what elements she wants:love:

At any rate, I wish her the best of luck in the future & look forward to seeing what she decides:biggrin:

heyang

Record Breaker
I think Alyssa's biggest issue is in her head. Even when she won silver and then gold at the 2 grand prix events several years ago, she said it was because she didn't have a lot of time to over think. By reports, she skates great during practices. My guess is that she has improved her technique overall, but the competition nerves prevent her from fully executing those improvements.

My impression of the article is that Alyssa hasn't decided if she's going to continue competing and, if she does, who will be her new coach. Both Brian B and Yuka were mentioned as her mentors during Nationals.

Does Linda Leaver still coach? It seems like her only hugely successful skater has been Brian and that was years ago.

I wonder if Brian Orser is an option. If I recall correctly, he had competition nerve issues for a while and he might be able to help her having gone through it himself. Since Alyssa has graduated from Bowling Green, she could consider relocating.

If she wants to stay in Detroit, working with Yuka and Jason is a definite option.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Alissa needs to move on with her life. You can't unlearn bad technique at 22 years of age. She is an exquisite skater in every other respect but she cannot jump consistently. It isn't just about nerves but about relearning how to jump all over again. It gives me no pleasure to make these comments because I think she is a lovely person and one of the most beautiful skaters to ever hit the ice.

Rochette is a year older than Alissa, and she recently relearned her jump technique with some great results. Regardless of this if Alissa still wants to compete then she should. If every skater who can't jump consistenly retired there would barely be anyone skating.

I know Czisny is a head case, but I've never had a moment's regret being a fan of hers. As several of you have pointed out, she has some traits that are so sterling that she's always worth watching. As a spinner, she's up there in Lucinda Ruh territory. There's not going to be another like her if she decides to leave. She gets so much out of the music. I hope she figures out a way to get some first aid for her jumps, because I'd like to watch her some more.

gold12345

Medalist
Regardless of this if Alissa still wants to compete then she should. If every skater who can't jump consistenly retired there would barely be anyone skating.

Agreed. As long as she's enjoying the process leading up to competing, as well a the competing itself, she should continue as long as she wants to. I wish her luck. Like her or not, she's still could remain one of the US contenders to make a World team in the upcoming years.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
She will be 26 in 2014.

While that seems ancient to most people, I think if Czisny wanted it bad enough she could do it.

Irina Slutskaya was 27 when she won bronze in Torino. Fumie Sugari, of course, is 28 right now (though she won't be at Vancouver). Maria Butyskaya was just shy of 30 when she competed in SLC in 2002.

And I think despite it all, Alissa does enjoy skating. You can't say that about everyone.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the update. Alissa will definitely be an added attraction to the cast. Good for her.

lpskater

Spectator
what a joke. i thought it was stars on ice, not mediocrity on ice. if I wanted to see someone Zamboni the ice i could go down to the local rink and watch the Zamboni go around the rink a few times at no cost. In an Olympic year I would much prefer pay to see medalists or skaters who at least could hold it together enough to qualify. Just my opinion.

heyang

Record Breaker
what a joke. i thought it was stars on ice, not mediocrity on ice. if I wanted to see someone Zamboni the ice i could go down to the local rink and watch the Zamboni go around the rink a few times at no cost. In an Olympic year I would much prefer pay to see medalists or skaters who at least could hold it together enough to qualify. Just my opinion.

Alyssa tends to fall apart during competitions, but is known as a lovely skater under non-competitive shows.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Wow. It's show numbers not competitive skating. I can watch her spin and do everything but jump all day, and that my friend, would be first class.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Alyssa tends to fall apart during competitions, but is known as a lovely skater under non-competitive shows.

I saw her skate in two shows and she fell in both...
This is not surprising even though she is not really a "star" since Scott H. who is in charge seems to be one of her best buddies. I guess this means she won't compete next year... I think that is for the best. I hope she has a great career with her college education too.