Emily Hughes update | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes update

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Is there a monitoring deadline?

There's usually a deadline in mid-August by which time all of the original invitees have to accept or decline their events. Will USFS allow monitoring after this and allow/force a later withdrawl?

just wondering

On the Ice
Emily has to do a competitive program where she gets scores and feedback, not an exhibition. Benefits are not scored or critiqued by judges and therefore do not count as a preparation for an assignment.

Sorry if it seemed I was suggesting an exhibition program would serve as a replacement for monitoring or an actual competition. I was merely commenting on what I thought she might be doing next and noting that introducing competitive programs on a international level after a time away would make for an exciting event for those who enjoy her skating. JW

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry if it seemed I was suggesting an exhibition program would serve as a replacement for monitoring or an actual competition. I was merely commenting on what I thought she might be doing next and noting that introducing competitive programs on a international level after a time away would make for an exciting event for those who enjoy her skating. JW

But Emily can't do that---introduce competitive programs at the international level---unless she does a Canadian summer event, and she hasn't signed up for any of the big ones coming up this week and next week.

There is a reason for the USFS to require a summer competition and/or monitoring (and as was pointed out, the window for monitoring is fast disappearing), and that is to be sure that skaters who have international assignments are prepared and ready with their programs. Other skaters who have been given assignments have already participated in summer events, are signed up for future events, or have already been privately monitored. Emily has not competed since Skate Canada, more than 9 months ago, and she dropped out of Nationals with an injury. It is only reasonable for the USFS to want to be sure she is in competitive shape for her GP event.

just wondering

On the Ice
But Emily can't do that---introduce competitive programs at the international level---unless she does a Canadian summer event, and she hasn't signed up for any of the big ones coming up this week and next week.

There is a reason for the USFS to require a summer competition and/or monitoring (and as was pointed out, the window for monitoring is fast disappearing), and that is to be sure that skaters who have international assignments are prepared and ready with their programs. Other skaters who have been given assignments have already participated in summer events, are signed up for future events, or have already been privately monitored. Emily has not competed since Skate Canada, more than 9 months ago, and she dropped out of Nationals with an injury. It is only reasonable for the USFS to want to be sure she is in competitive shape for her GP event.

Once again, it appears my choice of words are not helpful. When I used the word "introduce," I simply meant that she would be introducing her new programs to the general public, not to USFS.

I fully understand the concept of and the intent of participating in a monitoring session or a summer competition prior to an international event. Makes perfect sense! The majority of figure skating fans, however, would not see her in a summer competition and certainly not in a monitoring environment. Really, our comments are not in conflict with each other. You are interpreting the word "introduce" as it relates to USFS's prerequisite, while I was simply using the word "introduce" to reference people watching her new programs after she has been away from competing for a while. Really, I get it; I recognize that she must either participate in a summer competition or monitoring session to be eligible to represent USFS in an international event. Again, sorry for any confusion my enthusiasm for the upcoming season may have caused. JW

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
She may have a private monitoring session scheduled. I believe Carrier does because he finished in the top 10 at Worlds.

asparaguss

Rinkside
I think others have posted that she's scheduled to do Skate For Hope, a charity event for breast cancer research, in Columbus, Ohio, on August 30th. I doubt it will be her competition program, though it may contain segments of the SP & FS. Hardly a replacement for a competition-type event, I think.

After quite some time away, it may be a bold move to introduce your competitive programs at an international event, but Emily is nothing if not bold :agree: :rock: When we finally see her programs, I hope they are rock solid and energize the arena, as only Emily can. :clap: JW

So true. I'm attending Skate for Hope (not cheap for best seats -- $67, including tax, Ticketmaster charges, and parking) expressly to watch Emily perform. I can't wait. It will be my first-ever live skating show.

Last edited:

just wondering

On the Ice
OT: I don't think Katy Taylor is in this year's event. Would be great if she were, but I'm not sure.

The poster announcing the event only shows (in order across the bottom) Emily Hughes, Keauna McLaughlin & Rockne Brubaker, Rachael Flatt, Parker Pennington, Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin, and Jenny Needham-Wall. You can see the poster and a video clip about the show on Skating Circle, maybe it's on the Skate for Hope website too but I couldn't seem to find it there. JW

Binthere

On the Ice
Emily Hughes ... great head on her shoulders... great competitor... hope she's healthy and ready for the coming season

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if Emily was 'healthy and ready for the coming season' we would have seen her competing in a summer event, as she is required to do to keep her GP assignment.

She was supposed to compete in the US Collegiate championship, but she withdrew, citing a sprained ankle. That doesn't seem to indicate health or readiness on Emily's part.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Chuckm, so has Emily really forfeited her GP assignment? I did not know that she had, and don't know that rule. Interesting.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She hasn't forfeited her assignment as far as I know. There are still a few summer comps left that she can do: Midlantics, Boston Open or Philadelphia.

Or she can arrange to be monitored by the USFS instead, but time is running out for that.

silverfox

Rinkside
She hasn't forfeited her assignment as far as I know. There are still a few summer comps left that she can do: Midlantics, Boston Open or Philadelphia.

Or she can arrange to be monitored by the USFS instead, but time is running out for that.

Emily competed in the Mid Atlantics a few years ago. That could be her plan again this year.

The MidAtlantics and the Boston Open are both held on the same dates - Sept 11-14. Classes don't begin at Harvard until Sept 17, so Emily might still be in New York, training with Bonnie till then. If so, it's conceivable that she'll skate at the Mids.

I'm just guessing here.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We might get a clue in a week or two when the September events post their rosters. Note that I said "a clue". Emily has often signed up to compete at summer events in the past, and then has withdrawn at the last moment. So even if her name turns up on Midlantics, we won't know until the day of the event if she will actually be there.

goldenskates

Rinkside
We might get a clue in a week or two when the September events post their rosters. Note that I said "a clue". Emily has often signed up to compete at summer events in the past, and then has withdrawn at the last moment. So even if her name turns up on Midlantics, we won't know until the day of the event if she will actually be there.

It would be really nice to have Emily compete in the Midalantics so that she could get the feel for competition.