Emily Hughes update | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes update

lovecolby

Spectator
It's nice to see skaters continuing their education and being competitive. I hope Emily can get it together this season. She's one of my favorites, and a really nice person.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
It's nice to see skaters continuing their education and being competitive. I hope Emily can get it together this season. She's one of my favorites, and a really nice person.

Welcome to the forum, Lovecolby. Post like a friend of mine used to vote ........

.............. early and often. :biggrin:

silverfox

Rinkside

Welcome lovecolby.

Yes, many of the skaters are undergrad and grad students. Some of them even combine skating, studies and coaching.

I hope Emily can get it together this season also. Seems she had trouble with her jumps at Skate for Hope. Did she do the Celine Dion number or the Hip Hop one?

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?p=330277#post330277

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Midlantics (Sept 11-14) competitor list has been released, and Emily Hughes is on it. Now it remains to be seen if she will actually compete.

Nigel

On the Ice
The Midlantics (Sept 11-14) competitor list has been released, and Emily Hughes is on it. Now it remains to be seen if she will actually compete.

Emily landed double axels at Skate for Hope but fell on her 3T in her Celine Dion program as well as in the finale. So, it looks as she has some work to do before her SGP event.

silverfox

Rinkside

According to the schedule, Emily is going to do the SP on Friday at 4:15.
She's not doing her new LP.

She's pulled out of the Sept 6 show hosted by Michael Weiss which may raise a question or two about her fitness at this point. I hope she recovers soon and has a good season.

Will she do an old LP? I just want to see her skate to something.

She's pulled out of the Sept 6 show hosted by Michael Weiss which may raise a question or two about her fitness at this point. I hope she recovers soon and has a good season.
Is she ill or injured?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The competitor list only lists the skaters' first event, so she likely registered for both the SP (last year's "I've Got Rhythm") and FS ("Gone with the Wind"). We'll have to wait and see if she ends up competing.

I just started a separate thread for the Mid-Atlantics club competition in NYC: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23658

silverfox

Rinkside
The competitor list only lists the skaters' first event, so she likely registered for both the SP (last year's "I've Got Rhythm") and FS ("Gone with the Wind"). We'll have to wait and see if she ends up competing.

I just started a separate thread for the Mid-Atlantics club competition in NYC: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23658

Thanks Sylvia.

It makes sense for her to do both programs. Along with others, I was kind of confused when I looked up her name. I guess we're used to Morans where they list the skater's schedule for both the SP and LP since some skaters only perform one or the other.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily skated the SP at Midlantics yesterday and it wasn't pretty. She underrotated and put both hands down on a 3F attempt, then did only a 2S/2T combination. She was 3rd in the SP with 44 and change.

Kypma

Final Flight
Emily skated the SP at Midlantics yesterday and it wasn't pretty. She underrotated and put both hands down on a 3F attempt, then did only a 2S/2T combination. She was 3rd in the SP with 44 and change.

Is this her only chance to prove to the USFSA that she is ready to compete at TEB, as in, can the people in charge withdraw her if she is not deemed ready? :S

Kypma

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess we have to wait to see how Emily does in the FS---if she doesn't withdraw. I think Emily would at the very least have to have a good showing at North Atlantic Regionals (Oct 10-14) to have any chance to hold onto her GP event.

Katrina Hacker didn't exactly have a sterling outing at the Boston Open, either: 127.39; 51.88 SP, 75.51 FS. That score might not make the podium at a JGP event, so I think she, too, is a little shaky right now. She will need to do well at NE Regionals in 3 weeks.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought once an event was assigned to a skater, that's it and the skater is obligated to compete at that event.

Besides, who would replace her?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am not judging emily for wanting to continue skating competitively during her studies at Harvard, but I keep thinking that maybe she should go to the Collegiate circuit. Nationals in August, so it would not mess up her finals and she could have the best of both worlds. I think we can safely say that her chances of making the world team are tiny and at this rate being healthy and prepared for her GP events is rather low.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought once an event was assigned to a skater, that's it and the skater is obligated to compete at that event.

Besides, who would replace her?

TEB selected Emily for their event. The USFS does not have to send her if they feel she is not prepared to skate well in France. They can withdraw her, and the French fed can select a replacement.

There are lots of available ladies, including these who have only one assignment at this time:

Myriane Samson
Binshu Xu
Elena Glebova
Jenna McCorkell
Akiko Suzuki
Na-Young Kim
Ksenia Doronina
Nina Petushkova
Katarina Gerboldt
Tugba Karademir
Alissa Czisny

samba

On the Ice
I remember last year, Megan Oster was in the same position. She finally withdrew, not doing the GP.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
"Katrina Hacker didn't exactly have a sterling outing at the Boston Open, either: 127.39; 51.88 SP, 75.51 FS. That score might not make the podium at a JGP event, so I think she, too, is a little shaky right now. She will need to do well at NE Regionals in 3 weeks. "

So, what would happen if Katrina goes to Regionals, doesn't skate all that well and finishes fifth, therefore not qualifying for Nationals? Would USFS still send her to her two GPs knowing she won't even get to skate at Nationals? Or would they withdraw her?

shopgirl543

Rinkside
"So, what would happen if Katrina goes to Regionals, doesn't skate all that well and finishes fifth, therefore not qualifying for Nationals? Would USFS still send her to her two GPs knowing she won't even get to skate at Nationals? Or would they withdraw her?

I believe on account of Katrina winning Eastern Sectionals last year, she has a bye through regionals.