Emily Hughes update | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes update

Nigel

On the Ice
But does she truly relish performing so poorly, after nearly winning Nationals in 2007?

That ankle sprain seems to be a chronic injury for Emily (her coach revealed that Emily had a 'slight sprain' at 2007 Nationals). What I don't understand is if Emily had to be off the ice for 4-6 weeks after Nationals, she would have been able to train again in March. In early April, she participated in the "Ice Chips" show, so her injury must have been pretty well healed. In a July journal entry, she said she had gotten her programs choreographed by David Wilson back in June. You'd think that by early August, she would have been in decent shape before suffering that new ankle injury. After a two week break due to the injury, she should have been able to get back in the groove by the second week of September. Two weeks away from heavy training shouldn't have set her back as far as she appeared at Midlantics.

I think that Emily is trying to do much too much all at once, and what's happening is the quality of what she does is going downhill.

Emily struggled with trying to land triple toes in the Skate For Hope event, so I would hazzard a guess that the ankle was still problematic over the Labor Day weekend show.

feraina

Record Breaker
What was Emily able to complete in the long program? I haven't been able to find a rundown of her jumps. I'm sure she didn't want to skate so soon after spraining her ankle. Was she intending to do a Double Salchow+Double Toe combination?

I heard Emily did the following jumps: 2axel (ok),3salchow (fell), 3flip (not good quality), 3toe (underrotated)2toe, 3salchow (bad landing), 1axel.

Last edited by a moderator:

R.D.

Record Breaker
But she is representing the US, not 'performing' as Emily Hughes. The French Fed invited the lively, energetic skater they remember from previous years' GP events, not a slow, lumbering skater who can't complete a single clean triple.

I dunno, I'm willing to cut her slack given that she's been dealing with a rash of injuries, and hope she can make the best of her career. If it's not meant to be, then alas. Sounds like she's very much like her sister Sarah, though, and is veering towards the full-time college path. A good choice as well.

And the season hasn't even started yet. There's still over a month left. Why are people panicking now? How many other skaters have rough starts at season's beginning? They improve, generally, as time goes on.

Last edited:

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
But she is representing the US, not 'performing' as Emily Hughes.

Well, actually she is doing "both". Unless she is competitive (if she does participate in her current GP assignment,) she will not further represent either unless she proves herself in USF regional comps leading to the ultimate trial, Nationals.

Second point: With the increasing demands of CoP (and even before this scoring was in place), it is impossible for a student to maintain competitive skating skills at an international level AND maintain a successful full time collegiate schedule. Both will suffer. Granted, we hear reports that so & so is in college, but closer scrutiny usually reveals part time, or online attendance--far different than maintaining a full schedule at a major university.

Third point. Why is it so difficult for skaters to return to full-time strenous training following an injury furlough--albeit a forced one! I guess the answer is obvious....It's a very disciplined sport, very difficult, and expensive, with no assurance of success. Certainly makes Irina Slutskaya a heroine for the amazing feat in her highly successful return to skating with such a debilitating illness.

Fourth point--Sarah couldn't/wouldn't return after her amazing Olympic gold and Yale enrollment. I found it disappointing that Sarah would return to participate in SOI following her amateur success (and a year's hiatus) without so much as getting herself in shape enough to recover even a few of her triples. I loved Sarah's skating--and Emily's as well.

I will be severely disappointed if Emily is not able to recover (and improve) her skating skills for whatever reason. But I wish her the best.....in whatever endeavor she chooses.

I dunno, I'm willing to cut her slack given that she's been dealing with a rash of injuries, and hope she can make the best of her career. If it's not meant to be, then alas. Sounds like she's very much like her sister Sarah, though, and is veering towards the full-time college path. A good choice as well.

And the season hasn't even started yet. There's still over a month left. Why are people panicking now? How many other skaters have rough starts at season's beginning? They improve, generally, as time goes on.
The only injury I read about is the sprained ankle. What other injuries were there? There could be more problem with that sprained ankle than we know.

I wouldn't say panicking now. She just skated a competition, albeit a Club comp. She came in fourth behind 2 internationals, and also a second tier American.

It's mid September and she will be facing a heavy toll of international Ladies at Worlds, and the current crop of americans for Nationals.

We all wish her well, but that's not the topic.

mskater93

Record Breaker
It's mid September and she will be facing a heavy toll of international Ladies at Worlds, and the current crop of americans for Nationals.

We all wish her well, but that's not the topic.

There's no assurance that she will even make it to Worlds with the skating level described in this thread. Even if she recovers what she had (jumps through Lutz), if Flatt, Zhang, Nagasu, Wagner, and (maybe) Meissner all pull out the 3/3's, she's got no chance as the four above mentioned ladies have PCS marks at least equal to Hughes at her best and there are only 2 spots for Worlds. Even the pressure cooker that is US Nationals will yield two of the five above mentioned ladies with a fairly clean skate and punching their ticket to Worlds.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Last edited:

redhotcoach

On the Ice
According the the ISU document on age restrictions, elite athletes mature
physiologically about 2 years later than their non athletic counterparts. I know that many of the teenage skaters I have worked with fit that description. There are a number of elite skaters who were hot shots until about 15-16, when their bodies decided to turn on them. Some skaters even make it to 17-18 before their bodies really change. Their proportions change, they gain height and weight - while still thin in comparision to their non-elite counterparts, and their leg muscles don't work the way they used to. It takes time to get the speed, agility, quickness of rotation and confidence back in those skaters.

Kimmie hit that wall, so did Canada's Cynthia Phanuef, and now Emily. And it doesn't help their mental outlook when they are centrefront on the world stage.

The tiny wunderkin we see now at the top may or may not hit that wall but Mother Nature doesn't wait forever.

I hope Emily can get her act together again and prove that you don't have to be a 15 or 16 year old to succeed in the skating world.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kimmie Meissner turns 19 next month and yes, in the 17-18 years, she was struggling with body change. Sarah Hughes's metamorphosis began when she was 17-18, and by 19 she had a completely different body type than she had in her Olympic season. But Emily turns 20 in January; I think her body has already gone through that secondary change.

I think perhaps the reason Emily keeps getting injured is that she doesn't train regularly enough because she's juggling college and training. After she has slacked off a bit, she finds it harder to get up speed and land jumps, so she then trains too hard to make up for lost time, and that takes a toll on her body. Sasha has injured herself in the past in much the same way.

The video of Emily's Midlantics SP shows a skater who no longer attacks her program the way she used to. She stalks jumps the length of the rink, then fails to land them cleanly because of lack of speed and last-minute hesitation. Her footwork is very, very slow and a little awkward and that may reflect her ailing ankles.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I think perhaps the reason Emily keeps getting injured is that she doesn't train regularly enough because she's juggling college and training. After she has slacked off a bit, she finds it harder to get up speed and land jumps, so she then trains too hard to make up for lost time, and that takes a toll on her body. Sasha has injured herself in the past in much the same way.

The video of Emily's Midlantics SP shows a skater who no longer attacks her program the way she used to. She stalks jumps the length of the rink, then fails to land them cleanly because of lack of speed and last-minute hesitation. Her footwork is very, very slow and a little awkward and that may reflect her ailing ankles.

Sounds like a good assessment - espcially when compared to other skaters who've taken a significant break from training... but is this a mental thing that can be overcome once muscle memory kicks in or a physical wall that will affect skaters long term? I was sitting here trying to think of a skater besides Sasha who was still able to compete at a high level despite the injuries- maybe Miki?

Obviously I am not counting Irina because she's simply a force of nature who willed herself back onto the top of the podium.

lcd

Match Penalty
Would be great to see her get back to the awesome level of "attack" with her jumps that she had ... especially remember the verve she displayed in Portland, her first year in seniors... her opening triple flip was like... take THAT!!

This family.... if you could bottle the Hughes positive attitude, competitive spirit and smarts... good stuff. Hope she is in the best possible shape, to put out an effort she can be proud of... regardless of placement.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This family.... if you could bottle the Hughes positive attitude, competitive spirit and smarts... good stuff.

Don't forget the $$$. Both Sarah and Emily have had coaches that worked solely with them. Perhaps the break with Mitchell and Johansson was partially due to the fact that they have many other students and couldn't work exclusively with Emily.

Linny

Final Flight
Pants

Emily is the kind of lady who looks better in pants than in a skating skirt.
Linny

Taan

On the Ice
:scowl: omg emily hughes is so over!! :scowl:

:scowl: please, she has no 3 loop or 3-3 and the USA ladies field is stronger than ever. :scowl: She can finish around 10th, if she gets to Nationals, jmho :scowl:

nylynnr

On the Ice
Don't forget the $$$. Both Sarah and Emily have had coaches that worked solely with them. Perhaps the break with Mitchell and Johansson was partially due to the fact that they have many other students and couldn't work exclusively with Emily.

Bonni Retzkin works with other students. For example, Teresa Thong, who took third place in the Intermediate Ladies "A" figure skating competition at the Empire State Winter Games in Lake Placid this winter.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Obviously Emily, as Bonni's only ELITE skater, is her #1 priority.

Bonni is willing and able to drive back and forth from LI to Boston twice a week to coach Hughes. How many coaches would do that for their students?

Last edited:

nylynnr

On the Ice
Obviously Emily, as Bonni's only ELITE skater, is her #1 priority.

Bonni is willing and able to drive back and forth from LI to Boston twice a week to coach Hughes. How many coaches would do that for their students?

There is quite a difference between posting that Emily is Bonni's "only ELITE" skater, and that Bonni works "solely" with Emily. The fact that Bonni has an established business on Long Island is one of the reasons she can only afford to go to Boston one or two days a week. Just clearing up some misinformation.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is quite a difference between posting that Emily is Bonni's "only ELITE" skater, and that Bonni works "solely" with Emily. The fact that Bonni has an established business on Long Island is one of the reasons she can only afford to go to Boston one or two days a week. Just clearing up some misinformation.

The fact that Bonni will leave her 'established business on Long Island' two days a week says a lot. That is a LONG trip from LI to Boston, and it would eat up an entire working day. That means Bonni's other students (whom she normally coaches on those off-to-Boston days) have to settle for working with Bonni's assistant.

Bonni is a businesswoman, so she has got to be very well paid to be this accommodating. As I said in the first place, $$$ has helped pave the way to the Hugheses' success.