Free Dance - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Free Dance - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard

wallylutz

Medalist
SO TRUE

Would V/M stand a better chance if they went back to an old FD like their Mahler? And maybe modified it?

Nah, they are getting about an average of 9.75 for their components in the FD, which is more than good. There are technical issues to work on to be sure, and it would be even better if the Tech panel is not stacked with a "well known" American tech caller and a French tech controller. Thankfully, per ISU rules, both of them will be taking a vacation during Sochi Olympics.

sweetskates1

Medalist
This is a toughie - I think that the Russians executed their technical elements better but both programs were blah and overscored for me. :confused: I like the little box on the corner but sometimes it's adding numbers and I am just bored with what I am watching. And Tessa looks scared all the time - is that in my head? Even at the K/C and in little parts of the performances. It is not like her or them.

Yes I think so. They are slower than Russians and its not like this program harder than I/K. Judges still loving them of course. They are giving their very slow twizzles +2.:disapp:

Virtue/Moir lost a level I think. Could be one of the lifts.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I dare anyone to watch the V/M freedance from the Olympics in 2010. The lifts in there were beyond amazing and done effortlessly. Tessa was flying through the air like a squirrel. I cannot believe how much they have regressed since then.

One can only thank that Ms. Blumberg won't be at Sochi as a Tech caller.

Thank? We need strict callers. SA and SC 'Lv4 for everyone' calling was :slink:.

Nah, they are getting about an average of 9.75 for their components in the FD, which is more than good. There are technical issues to work on to be sure, and it would be even better if the Tech panel is not stacked with a "well known" American tech caller and a French tech controller. Thankfully, per ISU rules, both of them will be taking a vacation during Sochi Olympics.

'Because a skater(s) I like got lower scores than usual, that obviously means there is an eville conspiracy.'

Take off your tin-foil hat.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Well, as much as I disliked Carmen that program seemed to have a lot more difficulty. It is so 'gross' in some portions and I am not sure that skaters that are favorites for OGM ever change their programs once they debut them. They are still the favorites and knowing them, I am sure they have an ace or a plan b that will be added later this season.

Sky_fly20, the more I think about it, the more I think you are correct about I/K.

and that can go higher !!

bring the Carmen back!!! please.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Any thoughts on the technical calling? I'm inclined to say she was super strict....I/K were smart to focus on getting the levels....though it didn't cost them that much as far as +GOE.

The GOE on that combo lift was unreal.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Thank? We need strict callers. SA and SC 'Lv4 for everyone' calling was :slink:.

'Because a skater(s) I like got lower scores than usual, that obviously means there is an eville conspiracy.'

its a conspiracy if it against V/M :disapp:
I agree, its better with stickler callers

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Any thoughts on the technical calling? I'm inclined to say she was super strict....I/K actually were smart to focus on getting the levels....though it didn't cost them that much as far as +GOE.

The GOE on that combo lift was unreal.

I think she is loose. The judges at NHK and COC were strict. I mean part of the high scoring here was not her fault. V/M performance I think should not have been no higher than 98 but they were giving out 10's and +3's out of both drawl legs here.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I honestly do not think that V/M have ever been low-balled. To tell you the truth, I am not sure about the influence of the tech caller/controller at the events but if anything, I feel that all the scores were higher than I expected. The PCS for V/M will always be high and I do not think it matters what music they skate to, they are still the favorites.

mary01

Final Flight
P/B and I/K were the highlight for me, I love how their choreography is put together the connection they had to their music and to eachother during the program, it felt genuine. I for one also love P/B music choice it's interesting and they have some really nice highlights in the program that perfectly matched the music. but I have to say didn't expect I/K to beat P/K but overall a well skated competition.
That was also very fast recovery for I/K, I knew they would come back strong but not like this and so shortly after their last competition, their performance was definitely the biggest surprise of the night.

What's interesting is that Pechalat/Bourzat and Ilinykh/Katsalapov's base TES was almost the same. I/K's was just one point higher because P/B only got Lv3 on their spin.

The big difference on the TES score was mostly due to I/K's higher GOE and there is no doubt that tonight they have executed their elements to a higher standard.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What's interesting is that Pechalat/Bourzat and Ilinykh/Katsalapov's base TES was almost the same. I/K's was just one point higher because P/B only got Lv3 on their spin.

The big difference on the TES score was mostly due to I/K's higher GOE and there is no doubt that tonight they have executed their elements to a higher standard.

But per your earlier point: Where do you think the (slight?) overscoring for them is then? PCS?

Or would you have given less GOE even with the high execution of elements?

noidont

Final Flight
Ice dance judging is so bizarre. I have no opinion or idea. Did I/K skate that much worse last weekend?

As much as I am an I/K uber, I didn't think they were as good as the score. Their music cut could be tighter. But I'll give Morozov credit. This program, albeit tacky at places, is very well designed to maximize GOEs and have an automatic standing ovation every time. Only the crowd is standing to the grandiose of the music and Elena's fabulous diva-ness, not necessarily to the dance, but all the better. Too bad they are still not making GPF. I honestly can not tell if the NHK caller was crazy or this one.

wallylutz

Medalist

um...where did I say there is a controversy? Please don't put words in my mouth. The ISU rules preclude them from the Olympics for good reasons = appearance of conflict of interests, whether real or perceived. I am a firm believer that avoidance of conflict of interest should be extended to all ISU competitions, that's just my personal take, nothing more. It is not necessary for the GP and logistically unworkable (for GP). However, I know what I saw and yes, I think they are being ran over under ultra-precise microscope after seeing how this competition was judged, it makes me wonder whether the standard is being consistently applied here. It's akin to an umpire in baseball having inconsistent strike zone. I appreciate the hard work they are doing and acknowledge their job isn't easy, so the benefits of the doubt need to be given here.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Ice dance judging is so bizarre. I have no opinion or idea. Did I/K skate that much worse last weekend?

As much as I am an I/K uber, I didn't think they were as good as the score. Their music cut could be tighter. But I'll give Morozov credit. This program, albeit tacky at places, is very well designed to maximum GOEs and have an automatic standing ovation every time. Only the crowd is standing to the grandiose of the music and Elena's fabulous diva-ness, not necessarily to the dance, but all the better. Too bad they are still not making GPF. I honestly can not tell if the NHK caller was crazy or this one.

It shows just how strict the NHK judging was compared to here.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

... I honestly can not tell if the NHK caller was crazy or this one.

Neither caller was crazy. I/K skated that much worse last weekend. They were much better today and the scores reflect that.

Dyani

Spectator
I liked P/B today though they are slow. I/K had nice lifts but I found their programm somehow boring. I missed something...It's going to be a tough fight for OBM. At the moment I favour W/P by far.