Free Dance - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Free Dance - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard

elif

Medalist
But per your earlier point: Where do you think the (slight?) overscoring for them is then? PCS?

Or would you have given less GOE even with the high execution of elements?

You didn't say this to me but If I were a judge I will not give Pechalat/Bourzat's twizzles higher than +1. Their twizzles are really slow. You can see one judge even give +3 to P/B.:eek:

caitie

Medalist
I don't mind a stickler caller as long as everything at that competition gets called equally, which is tough to accomplish it seems.

Since VM modified their lifts I don't think the deductions are that surprising. It is their first outing with the modified lifts an they just didnt have them down yet.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I liked P/B today though they are slow. I/K had nice lifts but I found their programm somehow boring. I missed something...It's going to be a tough fight for OBM. At the moment I favour W/P by far.

Yes, I agree. Though I think P/B will bounce back, I like their FD in general; it just was not as executed well today.

And it remains to see if I/K can keep up this high level of performance when it counts.

But per your earlier point: Where do you think the (slight?) overscoring for them is then? PCS?

Or would you have given less GOE even with the high execution of elements?

I think they deserved very high GOEs. I just didn't think that they had a high 8/low 9s program. But then when you look at P/B's program it wasn't exceptional either. So in relative terms, I think that I/K getting PCS similar to P/B (a bit lower) is understandable. No big complaints here. ;)

Did I/K skate that much worse last weekend?

Yes.

um...where did I say there is a controversy?

A few sentences on, namely:

However, I know what I saw and yes, I think they are being ran over under ultra-precise microscope after seeing how this competition was judged, it makes me wonder whether the standard is being consistently applied here.

You didn't need an ultra-precise microscope. V/M had issues on their lifts.

wallylutz

Medalist
Any thoughts on the technical calling? I'm inclined to say she was super strict....I/K were smart to focus on getting the levels....though it didn't cost them that much as far as +GOE.

The GOE on that combo lift was unreal.

You need to go as low as the 6th placed team in this competition to find another couple that received Lv. 3 or lower twice for their CD steps in the SD. The other one, or course, just happened to be V/M. I don't think the standard is being strict as much as is inconsistent, what I call the "inconsistent strike zone". I find the calls a little curious, it would sooth my mind if the calls weren't being made by individuals who have a clear apperance of conflict of interests. Hopefully, the rules will continually to evolve as the other sports have done, is to make sure judges/umpires are all from 3rd party countries.

sweetskates1

Medalist
:scratch: I really do not get these scores. I/K do not seem that great - though I can see that they are the #1 Russians at this point and best hope for OGM which is mind-boggling. V/M have not improved much on their FD?! At this point in the season, both V/M and D/W are scoring 2-4 points higher. P/B's twizzles bother me as does their lack of speed and they are still breaking 100? Well maybe on account of their lifts but really? I cannot believe I am saying this but P/B, I/K, W/P, S/S are all at the same level for me and I cannot decide. At all. :bang: And I do not get the scoring one bit and so hopefully having the same panel at the same event will shed some light. D/W need more somewhere in their SD but overall they are sooooooooo much better than all the others in my eyes.

You need to go as low as the 6th placed team in this competition to find another couple that received Lv. 3 or lower twice for their CD steps in the SD. The other one, or course, just happened to be V/M. I don't think the standard is being strict as much as is inconsistent, what I call the "inconsistent strike zone". I find the calls a little curious, it would sooth my mind if the calls weren't being made by individuals who have a clear apperance of conflict of interests. Hopefully, the rules will continually to evolve as the other sports have done, is to make sure judges/umpires are all from 3rd party countries.

What proof do you have for this accusation?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:scratch: I really do not get these scores. I/K do not seem that great - though I can see that they are the #1 Russians at this point and best hope for OGM which is mind-boggling. V/M have not improved much on their FD?! At this point in the season, both V/M and D/W are scoring 2-4 points higher. P/B's twizzles bother me as does their lack of speed and they are still breaking 100? Well maybe on account of their lifts but really? I cannot believe I am saying this but P/B, I/K, W/P, S/S are all at the same level for me and I cannot decide. At all. :bang: And I do not get the scoring one bit and so hopefully having the same panel at the same event will shed some light. D/W need more somewhere in their SD but overall they are sooooooooo much better than all the others in my eyes.

Yes, the only time we'll see comparable scoring is at the Olympics. I make comparisons reluctantly given the different judging panels.

The Olympics are also still three months away...so the pecking order is by no means established.

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - VIDEOS (By Starting Order)

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Nicole ORFORD / Thomas WILLIAMS (CAN) Free Dance
2. Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND (GBR) Free Dance
3. Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN (RUS) Free Dance
4. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON (FRA) Free Dance

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA / Alexander GAZSI (GER) Free Dance
6. Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV (RUS) Free Dance
7. Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) Free Dance
8. Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR (CAN) Free Dance

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

wallylutz

Medalist
A few sentences on, namely:

This is uncalled for. You misunderstood my comment, I get that, it happens. To further obstinate after that, and continue to proclaim something I didn't say, I am going to ask you to please retract and apologize.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Nah, they are getting about an average of 9.75 for their components in the FD, which is more than good. There are technical issues to work on to be sure, and it would be even better if the Tech panel is not stacked with a "well known" American tech caller and a French tech controller. Thankfully, per ISU rules, both of them will be taking a vacation during Sochi Olympics.

Are you serious?

elif

Medalist
Why everyone attacking technical caller? :rolleye: You can see Virtue/Moir's lift problems. At the first lift Scott is not skating one leg comfortably at all. He didn't hold enough that position. At the rotational lift Virtue didn't grab her blade fast enough. So they were late for rotation. :rolleye:

sweetskates1

Medalist
I agree noidont - the scoring always leaves me scratching my head and analyzing :think: I actually thought I/K was better last weekend!

blackwanphoto so do you think the NHK judges were on point? Will any of the judges that have scored GP so far this season be at the GPF?

It shows just how strict the NHK judging was compared to here.

Ice dance judging is so bizarre. I have no opinion or idea. Did I/K skate that much worse last weekend?

As much as I am an I/K uber, I didn't think they were as good as the score. Their music cut could be tighter. But I'll give Morozov credit. This program, albeit tacky at places, is very well designed to maximize GOEs and have an automatic standing ovation every time. Only the crowd is standing to the grandiose of the music and Elena's fabulous diva-ness, not necessarily to the dance, but all the better. Too bad they are still not making GPF. I honestly can not tell if the NHK caller was crazy or this one.

wallylutz

Medalist
What proof do you have for this accusation?

This is called an observation / disagreement, not an accusation. Can you please be less pushy and confrontational? Just because I disagree with a call doesn't mean there is a controversy. What is so hard to understand? This world is not painted in black or white, or for that matter, judges aren't idiot because they don't see the way you do.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Why everyone attacking technical caller? :rolleye: You can see Virtue/Moir's lift problems. At the first lift Scott is not skating one leg comfortably at all. He didn't hold enough that position. At the rotational lift Virtue didn't grab her blade fast enough. So they were late for rotation. :rolleye:

because the tech caller attacked V/M for their lifts ? :scowl:

This is called an observation / disagreement, not an accusation. Can you please be less pushy and confrontational? Just because I disagree with a call doesn't mean there is a controversy. What is so hard to understand? This world is not painted in black or white, or for that matter, judges aren't idiot because they don't see the way you do.

You have said a few times that Virtue/Moir were being unfairly picked on by the technical panel even though you haven't presented any argument or any proof in support of that view.

You also claimed that there was a conflict of interest and again, I don't understand why. Somebody's nationality doesn't immediately mean that they are going to be biased against skaters representing different countries.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I agree noidont - the scoring always leaves me scratching my head and analyzing :think: I actually thought I/K was better last weekend!

blackwanphoto so do you think the NHK judges were on point? Will any of the judges that have scored GP so far this season be at the GPF?

I think at NHK the scoring was too low and here too high. I/K improved, but by that much in one week? They got about a 92 in freedance there and here a 102, that is just too big of a jump in a week, with no glaring errors from their previous skate. Same with their short dance, they got about 8 points more here. I think if D/W had competed here their freedance score would have been over 115.

jaylee

Medalist
You have said a few times that Virtue/Moir were being unfairly picked on by the technical panel even though you haven't presented any argument or any proof in support of that view.

You also claimed that there was a conflict of interest and again, I don't understand why. Somebody's nationality doesn't immediately mean that they are going to be biased against skaters representing different countries.

:clap: No need for conspiracy theories. All that needs to be done is that V/M assess what happened and fix their levels for their next competition.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I couldn't watch the second group, and when I came home and saw the results :jaw: