Free Dance - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Free Dance - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard

sweetskates1

Medalist
Awesome~

I think at NHK the scoring was too low and here too high. I/K improved, but by that much in one week? They got about a 92 in freedance there and here a 102, that is just too big of a jump in a week, with no glaring errors from their previous skate. Same with their short dance, they got about 8 points more here. I think if D/W had competed here their freedance score would have been over 115.

I think they have a few additions planned.

Part of me wonders if they're going to change the FD. They don't particularly look like THEY enjoying performing it. Like when they do their SD, it looks like they are all about it, but their heart just doesn't seem to be in this FD for whatever reason.

I feel the same way. They, specially Scott, believes that they have matured and evolved. Their FD is a reflection of this maturity in their eyes. Well, the audience was Canadian the first time around.

V/M's FD has left me perplexed. It's not a bad FD, it's a lovely program, but there's just something not there, and I'm not sure what that is. When the dance finishes I'm left :scratch: a bit and asking if that's it.

I also can't stop thinking about Scott saying that they weren't going to be the same old Tessa and Scott for the Olympics, yet they're doing just that. I feel like we've seen this program before, and it was much better the first time. I also noticed the tepid reaction from the audience. Audiences usually eat them up, and understandably so. Even though some of their programs weren't my cup of tea, they would perform the heck out of them.

Matt K

On the Ice
If you look at Moir's position on that same lift from SC you will see that he lifts his free leg off the ice and holds that position for more than 3 seconds. In Paris, he barely lifted his free leg and couldn't hold that position and immediately put his foot back down on the ice - thereby losing two levels. Just because you get a certain level at one event does not guarantee that same level every time you skate because mistakes are made. It's that simple.

No, you're confusing their Straight Line Lift with the Curve Lift. BTW, they actually got Level 4 for that straight line lift you mentioned - Moir's foot mistake in that lift cost them GOEs, not 2 levels.

The curve left right before the twizzles is the one that got the level 2.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Where is dorispulaski? She is so knowledgeable and should be able to explain. I am not sure where the deductions are coming from. Didn't they have a deduction at SC too? Did they get the same one? I am not sure. :think:

No, you're confusing their Straight Line Lift with the Curve Lift. BTW, they actually got Level 4 for that straight line lift you mentioned - Moir's foot mistake in that lift cost them GOEs, not 2 levels.

The curve left right before the twizzles is the one that got the level 2.

Dots

Final Flight
I think the scandal here is not that P/B were passed, but that V/M were dumped.

That a mediocre FD from I/K came 2 points away from V/M tells me the judges are ready to put them aside. They might have won the TEB but this is actually a loss for V/M. The only winners out of TEB are I/k who came out smelling like roses. I/k are not fighting for bronze, they are fighting for an Olympic silver medal, and a possible world championship if D/W end their career at the Olympics. :eek:

bramweld

Record Breaker
I/K were amazing today. They delivered as the program intended.They did the best that they could do. I don't believe the words that are going to come out of my mouth. Liked them even more than V/M. V/M's program is the one that seems too generic after watching I/K.

Matt K

On the Ice
Where is dorispulaski? She is so knowledgeable and should be able to explain. I am not sure where the deductions are coming from. Didn't they have a deduction at SC too? Did they get the same one? I am not sure. :think:

I'm pretty sure the judges' rulebook will shed light into the deductions and lost levels. Anyone can read the rulebook.

They weren't dumped. They still got extremely high PCS and high GOE.

They made some mistakes on the lifts and they lost points for that.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice

That a mediocre FD from I/K came 2 points away from V/M tells me the judges are ready to put them aside. They might have won the TEB but this is actually a loss for V/M. The only winners out of TEB are I/k who came out smelling like roses. I/k are not fighting for bronze, they are fighting for an Olympic silver medal, and a possible world championship if D/W end their career at the Olympics. :eek:

I don't think they were dumped. If anything I think the judges tried to hold them up with the marks. They got a lot of 10's, which is ridiculous for that particular program. It was way overscored here.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I think that this is a bit premature. V/M have received lower TES than the second place teams in all three of the competitions they have entered this season because the program is not fully cooked or ready to be served.

Their PCS are way above everyone else except the Americans and I do not think I/K are that great. Bronze contenders - yes. Silver? What about a clean and well skated performance from the Italians? Even a well performed and executed performance from W/P? I/K have pull given the Russian push but they are not that great. For me the Italians are way better and if the judges are willing to 'dump' V/M they should do so for others before they deify the overnight favorite Russian team. Though, I can see them dethroning others soon. Sky_fly20 is on to something here... ugg.. this is not fair.

Sara

On the Ice
Poor Nathalie, she was crying in the medal ceremony and burst into tears again when all 6 were posing for photos together :(

sweetskates1

Medalist
And I agree, I do not think that the judges low-balled V/M. That is insane... They are still favorites - 10s for that program make no sense. And since you brought it up, I do not think 10s make sense for any of the top skaters yet. It is ridiculous. The scary thing is how close they would be to other bronze-medal contenders without those 10 marks.

The EuroSport commentators think the judges should award 10s to D/W already but even that makes me a little afraid. D/W have much room to grow in spite of how incredibly difficult the program already is - they need little touches here and there to reach that wanted perfection. And the same should be said about their SD - they are skating that incredibly difficult program masterfully but to earn that 10 they need something more. I keep going back to the lift - something bigger. grander is needed now and 10s should be saved for that. Ditto for V/M and all the others. Stop with the 10s.

I don't think they were dumped. If anything I think the judges tried to hold them up with the marks. They got a lot of 10's, which is ridiculous for that particular program. It was way overscored here.

sweetskates1

Medalist
You really think so? I really enjoy reading the posters' explanations. If I tried to decipher the rulebook, I would probably get annoyed.

I'm pretty sure the judges' rulebook will shed light into the deductions and lost levels. Anyone can read the rulebook.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Poor Nathalie, she was crying in the medal ceremony and burst into tears again when all 6 were posing for photos together :(

they made the same drama at 2013 Worlds
they need to get over it, either improve or accept the fact that tehy are old in TES and slow in the ice

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Nicole ORFORD / Thomas WILLIAMS (CAN) Free Dance
2. Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND (GBR) Free Dance
3. Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN (RUS) Free Dance
4. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON (FRA) Free Dance, 2nd Copy

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA / Alexander GAZSI (GER) Free Dance
6. Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV (RUS) Free Dance, 2nd Copy
7. Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) Free Dance, 2nd Copy
8. Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR (CAN) Free Dance, 2nd Copy

Medal Ceremony

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

sweetskates1

Medalist
I really like P/B but this season they seem worse. For me, the twizzles are awful and the speed is not there.

they made the same drama at 2013 Worlds
they need to get over it, either improve or accept the fact that tehy are old in TES and slow in the ice

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I was really impressed with I/K's opening sequence but it went downhill from there for me, some nice highlights but there wasn't much in the way of choreography. I don't think it was deserving of 102. I also find her a little tiresome, her reactions at the end of her skates, the tears, it seems so false and forced. I like V/M's programme but they definitely seem to be losing out to D/W this year, I don't think there lifts look as smooth as in previous years, they seemed disappointed/confused in the K&C. I enjoyed P/B more here than COC.

I was expecting more from P/C, yes they have speed and attack but I thought something was missing, but it was still a good GP debut for them. A lot of the recent junior medalists seem to have got lost in recent years on arrival in teh Seniors but this couple seem to be well liked. I like M/K's skate but I have no idea what it is about, they could push R/T for the 3rd spot for Russia in Sochi.

elif

Medalist
Ilinykh Katsalapov's dance could be closer, more in dance holds. But I'm thinking about how Pechalat/Bourzat, Virtue/Moir even Capellini/Lanotte copying their olds programs so I think I will take that for now.:) All elements are very good. Fast twizzles, spins, lifts.

Pechalat/Bourzat are slow. Twizzles and steps slower than top teams. This is very open dance too. So much stopping and posing for me. I love them but I don't think this is a good program :unsure: