Is Mirai the next Sasha? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Mirai the next Sasha?

silversprings77

Rinkside
<grin> I just had a flashback to 2007 when Caroline Zhang was tearing up the JGP and Mirai had to qualify through regionals and sectionals for Nationals at the junior level. Everyone was very enamored with Caroline and I remember one poster on the old USFSA message board saying watch out for this girl out of Southern California....

and that girl proceeded to come out of nowhere to beat Caroline for the junior title that year. wow how time flies :)

MKFSfan

Medalist
Again...all I see the two skaters sharing is the fact they have strong spins and spirals, and have more artistic performances. But for me, that's where the similarities end. Mirai is a very extroverted skater, she can reach those seated at the top of the building. I've always felt Sasha was more introverted, she draws you into her world.

Mirai accomplished something last weekend that I would imagine all elite skaters dream of doing. She led after the SP, skated last in the LP after 2 skaters delivered strong performances, and she was the one who brought the house down. Yes, she ended up in 2nd, but if her career ended that night, she would have left after accomplishing a very special thing. Her face showed evey emotion she was feeling: joy, disbelief, triumph. Sasha never got to have that kind of moment. She did have many very special moments in the SPs, she SHOULD be more than happy with her resume, never landing lower than 4th in her Senior career and a ton of medals to show for it, but I don't think that weighs the same when one looks back on their careers. I hope Mirai gets to have more of these moments, and that they end in Gold. :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
At least Mirai does not fall during EVERY long program she's ever skated. She can at least land her jumps.

For the record, Sasha has not fallen on every long program she's ever skated. Not at all. In fact, in plenty, she's only made 1 or 2 mistakes that were less costly than Mirai's apparently 3 URed jumps, although more obvious to the naked eye.
Sasha's reputation as a choker is overblown.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
For the record, Sasha has not fallen on every long program she's ever skated. Not at all. In fact, in plenty, she's only made 1 or 2 mistakes that were less costly than Mirai's apparently 3 URed jumps, although more obvious to the naked eye.
Sasha's reputation as a choker is overblown.

I agree and 99% of the skaters whoever laced up a pair of boots would love to have Sasha's record of achievenents.

As to the comparison - there are some circumstancial similarities but they strike me as totally different personalities.

As to their skating I don't see much past the flexibilty.

If anything Mirai is Sasha on steroids - a bigger, faster and more powerful looking skater to me.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I agree that Sasha has gotten a bad rep as a choker when it counts most and it is not true. She has never had a meltdown in a major competition aside Jr Worlds. While this past Nationals was less than stellar, I would not call that a choke. Problem was, Sasha skated during the Michelle/Sarah/Irina era, right after Tara made her mark, and all 4 were known for consistency. It's VERY rare in this day and age to see a clean 7 triple program under COP, but under 6.0, falls, 2 foots, step outs, were crucified.

Fossi

Final Flight
well, there was a little competiton called 2006 Worlds where none of the skaters you mentioned above were competing at. But, I guess we're not discussing that one......

aftertherain

Record Breaker
well, there was a little competiton called 2006 Worlds where none of the skaters you mentioned above were competing at. But, I guess we're not discussing that one......

You can call that choking, whatever. No one's denying that she falters in the LP. The fact is, she's more consistent at placements in competition than people credit her for. Sure, she's built the "can't skate two clean programs in a row" reputation, but in her Senior career, she lowest she'd placed was sixth.

Layfan

Record Breaker
You can call that choking, whatever. No one's denying that she falters in the LP. The fact is, she's more consistent at placements in competition than people credit her for. Sure, she's built the "can't skate two clean programs in a row" reputation, but in her Senior career, she lowest she'd placed was sixth.

Exactly. That was my point. I also agree with Fossi that the 2006 worlds was probably Sasha's most frustrating skate ever. It's really just frustrating that she couldn't win in a field like that.

Hang on. When did she place sixth? Oh wait ... was that when she bombed at the GP final the year after winning? Oh dear. That's pretty bad since it's not just placing sixth but placing last. I've never watched that program and I never will.

But still. She really did exceptionally well at world competitions.

Sasha would probably be the first to admit that her career did not fulfill her and everyone else's incredibly high expectations for her and she would probably be the last to moan that people routinely point out that the gold often slipped from her fingers, since it's just true.

It's just that when the expectations are gold and you are competing against Michelle Kwan, Irina Slutskaya and Shizuka Arakawa, well those expectations are pretty darned hard to fulfill

But wait. Why are we banging on about Sasha? I think I might have started it. Apologies. What was this thread about again? :p

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
But wait. Why are we banging on about Sasha? I think I might have started it. Apologies. What was this thread about again? :p

Mirai as the next Sasha. I guess you got half of the topic down. Hahaha. Wanna tackle the other half then?

Layfan

Record Breaker
Mirai as the next Sasha. I guess you got half of the topic down. Hahaha. Wanna tackle the other half then?

Oh yeeeaaah.

Well, as to that. I've already said I love Mirai and I love Sasha. I hope Mirai will get to be even better than Sasha was and that in a few years we will have a thread asking if so-and-so is the next Mirai. :agree:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Oh yeeeaaah.

Well, as to that. I've already said I love Mirai and I love Sasha. I hope Mirai will get to be even better than Sasha was and that in a few years we will have a thread asking if so-and-so is the next Mirai. :agree:

Let's say she does really well in the next few years. Who do you think her "rivals" would be? I nominate Gao, Murakami, and Leonova. :biggrin:

And Caroline if she has a miracle change, 'cause I think she's adorable.:yes:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Let's say she does really well in the next few years. Who do you think her "rivals" would be? I nominate Gao, Murakami, and Leonova. :biggrin:

And Caroline if she has a miracle change, 'cause I think she's adorable.:yes:

That's good question.

For starters, we can't forget about Rachael and Ashley. I nominate them first and foremost until they prove me otherwise because they are currently her main competitors and are not that much older than she is. Like Mirai, I think Rachael and Ashley were better than they ever have been at nationals. I think the three of them can continuing pushing each other to improve.

Gao - definitely and all three of the girls mentioned above better watch out. :eek:

Leonova, I'm reserving judgement on her. I've like a lot of what she's done but if Mirai fixes her UR problems I think she'll smoke Leonova unless Leonova improves a lot. Which is definitely a possibility so that's why I'm reserving judgement. It'll be really interesting to see how Leonova and Mirai - both so new on the international stage - do at the Olympics.

Caroline. I have to admit even though I love her spins and so much of her quality, I wasn't blown away by her even last year when everyone was going crazy for her. So I'm counting her out for now. But she's lovely and if she makes me eat crow, I'll do it with relish.

I'm not really good at watching out for the up-and-comers so probably not the best person to bring insight into this.

Every time I watch Mirai's FS I am even more blown away and I notice something new in it that I love. It gives me shivers and that's something that hasn't happened for me in a long time with the U.S. women.

I think she could be great. I really, really, really hope she can fix her UR problems. Otherwise she might really become the next Sasha and have a long and wonderful but silver career. :unsure:

Wicked

Final Flight
I love both Sasha and Mirai, but I find Mirai much more engaging and charming. I relate more to Mirai's programs than Sasha's, although Sasha is probably a more beautiful skater at this point.

luckykid

On the Ice
I like Mirai more than Sasha. She has a more fun personality. But they both have grace, while have UR problems.

janetfan

Match Penalty
This looks like one of the great SP's in US Skating history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3gPE824qzg

Considering the speed, crisp jumps and excellence of the spins, spirals and steps, this program shows everything I love about skating.
To see how it is skated with such freedom and joy is the icing on the cake. For me, without question one of the all time best SP's from a US Natls.

Last edited: