Moves That Don't Quite Make It: Master it or Scrap it? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Moves That Don't Quite Make It: Master it or Scrap it?

bronxgirl

Medalist
If I never see another Biellman spin, I would never miss it. That and the hi, I can do a vertical split while spinning.:disapp:

nubka

Final Flight
Those skaters who don't have a completely vertical, straight leg are not trying to perform an "I Spin", they are actually performing what is called an "egg-beater spin." Rudy Galindo and Nicole Bobek were known for doing those back in the 6.0 days. Not every skater in the world has to try and be Gumby, and thank the heavens for that!

Here is Midori Ito doing an egg-beater spin: http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/3271/944112-ito-eggbeater.jpg

Interesting! I didn't know that spin was called the "egg-beater." All this time I had just thought of it as the "Michelle Kwan Y-spin..."

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The one I don't like is the donut spin, especially the variation where the skater lets his arms dangle down like the tentacles of a jellyfish.

http://nymag.com/health/features/regimen060213_1_560.jpg

^^ Johnny is doing a pancake spin in that photo. Here is another pancake spin: http://z.about.com/d/figureskating/1/8/t/E/-/-/pancakespin.jpg

This is a donut spin by Shizuka: http://z.about.com/d/figureskating/1/8/p/E/-/-/donutspin.jpg

Interesting! I didn't know that spin was called the "egg-beater." All this time I had just thought of it as the "Michelle Kwan Y-spin..."

Well, Michelle does a slightly different variation. She doesn't grab the blade like Midori Ito is doing; instead Kwan would have her hand on her extended leg to support it. A lot of these spins tend to have multiple names. The Y-spin and the egg-beater spin are essentially the same thing. The pancake spin has also been called the cannonball spin, still essentially the same spin. :)

Cannonball spin: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...et.JPG/89px-Kevin_Van_Der_Perren_-_piruet.JPG

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Those skaters who don't have a completely vertical, straight leg are not trying to perform an "I Spin", they are actually performing what is called an "egg-beater spin." Rudy Galindo and Nicole Bobek were known for doing those back in the 6.0 days. Not every skater in the world has to try and be Gumby, and thank the heavens for that!

Here is Midori Ito doing an egg-beater spin: http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/3271/944112-ito-eggbeater.jpg

I, Y, Egg Beater, Martini.........whatever spin is being attempted. I don't think the height of the leg matters. It is having the knee bent that I dislike.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
I'm just curious, who names the spin??
Is that, for example shotgun spin, like a technical figure skating term that one must call it that way??

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
If that is what he's talking about, I can't stand that spin either. I really don't want to see some skater spinning around with their butt in the air. :no:

I'm also not a fan of the hydrant spiral that Sasha apparently brought to the table (she was the first one I saw do it) although it doesn't seem like as many girls are trying that these days which is a relief! :rock:

Yes--it was this one! (And Toni--calling the butt spin is a polite version of what some of my friends called it)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/donquijote/ouch.jpg

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
The pancake spin has also been called the cannonball spin, still essentially the same spin. :)

For me, a pancake spin is where the back is flat. Like what Lucinda Ruh did.

Cannonball is where the back is rounded/hunched.

The same difficult variation for CoP, but the pancake looks more impressive (+GOE!).

Flexibility may not be required in the sport but it is definitely required in a show. The audience loves to watch things they can not do. That is why Cirque du Soleil is such a popular show and always sold out.

Flexibility does start when one is a toddler but it must continue as an adult. I've watched many dancers work on splits on floor and rolling on them to the left and right as warmups. Of course, it is the main focus in Acrobatic Dancing. It really is essential for back somersaults, walkovers, forward flips, Arabian Cartwheels (that's a no hands cartwheel which I've only seen from Kulic), etc.

How important is flexibility in figure skating? I really don't know. Laybacks in the Nikidinov manner require flexibility but I believe the rule says it only requires the skater to bend at the waist, which in itself is flexibility.

Skaters who can not contort their bodies because of a lack of flexibility do have flexibility for figure skating as do all sportspeople, but not necessaarily in the contornionist way.

One only has to look at Kwan and realize there is no contornionism but a wonderful supple body moving along the ice. The question is, do you need the acrobatics?

Joe

Mafke

Medalist
My gold medal least favorite element is .....

Any quad. (Big and ugly and even when landed they wreck the rhythm)

Silver medal least favorite element is:

Any poorly executed Biellmann position (this includes about 98% of them over the last five years)

Bronze medal least favorite element is:

Footwork with frenetic arm movements (you're not kidding anyone, you're just trying to keep your balance).

Just off the podium:

Crotch-flashing moves in general (stop pointing that thing at me!)

Strawberry picker spins (showing off your finely developed skater's rump for the world to admire)

Pantomime (you're not being expressive, you're being annoying)

Audrey19

On the Ice

sillylionlove

Medalist
LOL Mafke!!

I think that many of the spin positions that skaters do now are just ugly. If I wanted to see half those positions, I would go to Cirque De Soliel (spelling?). Besides half the time they are holding their leg and the look on their faces kind of says "yeah I have to do this for the points...it hurts and I can barely straighten my leg...yeah it's ugly and painful to watch no less perform...but I get mega points for it."

I also have to mention that spiral position where you leg goes out to the side and up and it looks really weird. I don't know what this position is called though.Everyone was doing them last season but you don't really see them a great deal of them this season, thankfully.

And...flailing arms. I think that's why I don't like Lambiel's program this year....such an overuse of arms. I spent more time watching his arms then his skating? (can you tell really stupid things get my attention?)

Finally.....split jumps...russain split jumps...if you can't bring your legs up that high like Sasha can...then really you shouldn't do them because you risk looking like you are on a jv cheerleading squad!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Besti squats. I really dislike them. I dislike them even more when done by a pair, sbs.

Donut spins when the skater has to stick their rump in the air to grasp their foot, like Oksana Baiul. (I have seen this done smoothly, but many do the Oksana version). Plushenko did one without having to stick up his rump to catch the foot.

If you're going to do an I spin, I want you to point your toe, not the way Sasha does it with the square foot. Here's this lovely balletic performance, and then this wrenched square footed spin. Yuck. AFAIR Czisny manages one with the pointed toe.

I don't like the A spin, no matter who's doing it.

I don't like to see spirals, particularly in pairs, where the man can't get his leg over 90 degrees and the lady is dragging her leg down to try and match legline.

Vicky458

On the Ice
I hate illusions and the spin that Ina and Zimmerman did with her head down and he is holding her leg upward. I think Tarmara Mosvina had Anton and Elena as well as Artur and Oskana do this spin as well. I feel it is a demeaning position for the woman.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Finally.....split jumps...russain split jumps...if you can't bring your legs up that high like Sasha can...then really you shouldn't do them because you risk looking like you are on a jv cheerleading squad!!

who could not like russian splits? when they are well done they are a great move!

passion

On the Ice
I'm getting tired of seeing the same layback spin in nearly every short program. It's gotten to the point where I can almost say: "Okay, now she's doing the classic layback--in a minute, she's going to pull her skate up by her head--and yup, there's the Biellmann position to finish it off!" So many ladies are doing the same exact spin. It's boring.

Couldn't you say that about the sit spin (or camel spin)... oh, there she's bending her knee and now she's all the way down in a sit position to finish it off!

I find Lambiel's headless spin so exciting. Some people have said it is easy but I can't believe those who said that actually make their heads disappear. I believe one would have a loss of balance doing that spin and at that speed.

Joe