Moves That Don't Quite Make It: Master it or Scrap it? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Moves That Don't Quite Make It: Master it or Scrap it?

passion

On the Ice
I have to agree with all of the above but my pet peeve this season is the footwork section. If I see another skater bending down on one knee and swatting imaginary flies I am going to scream.

lol. ITA. I think breaking at the waist during footwork sequence slows the whole thing down and you just can't do the edges as deeply. I miss old fasion step sequences!

I find Lambiel's headless spin so exciting. Some people have said it is easy but I can't believe those who said that actually make their heads disappear. I believe one would have a loss of balance doing that spin and at that speed.
Does Stephane still do it in competition?

The problem is, as exciting as it is, the headless spin by itself is only a level one. So the CoP penalizes this move, like so many others. That's why many people are saying that the New Judging System is slowly but surely chipping away at everything we used to love about the sport.

The problem is, as exciting as it is, the headless spin by itself is only a level one. So the CoP penalizes this move, like so many others. That's why many people are saying that the New Judging System is slowly but surely chipping away at everything we used to love about the sport.
He concludes his flamenco with it in competition and it turns so speedily. increible It's not easy but then then one has a lot of questionable levels such as they are. Who ever made these up probably never actually did any of those moves.

Joe

decker

On the Ice

IIRC, he does it to top off a change-foot combination spin. But I haven't seen him since GPF and may be remembering wrong.

Susan

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
to me, the move i dislike seeing more than others is the variation on the upright/scratch spin, where instead of placing the free foot on top of the spinning foot, they keep it out, almost in a pirouette position, but the free leg looks like it's a bad leg wrap instead.

this is one of sarah meier's best programs, but she does it quite often here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Oiolv0x4c

i understand it is more difficult than the normal, plain scratch spin, but it looks sloppy to me (maybe it only looks sloppy to me).

Mafke

Medalist
the move i dislike seeing more than others is the variation on the upright/scratch spin, where instead of placing the free foot on top of the spinning foot, they keep it out, almost in a pirouette position, but the free leg looks like it's a bad leg wrap instead.
i understand it is more difficult than the normal, plain scratch spin, but it looks sloppy to me (maybe it only looks sloppy to me).

No, it doesn't only look sloppy to you.

This is the whole problem with CoP at present in a nutshell. I think the process goes like this:

1. Find a classic, aesthetically pleasing move
2. Add a variation that makes the move technically 'more difficult' but which decreases the aesthetics by a) slowing the move down too much b) breaking visually pleasing body lines c) wrecking the rhythm of the program.
3. POINTS!!!

Also, while we're here another (new, courtesy of CoP) pet peeve are camel spins. I never used to appreciate them properly but hardly anyone is doing good camels anymore and the norm seems to be wonky, off center camels.
Zhang (whose layback is really great) has an especially bad camel in the clips I've seen so far. Meier (a personal fave of mine) does a pretty wonky camel in your link.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
for me it's the back outside edge death spiral. the one that savchenko/szolkowy do.
i think the position''s really unattractive cos the girl''s leg is always sticking out in mid-air.:eek:
almost like a ''death spiral variation'' of the hydrant spiral mentioned earlier.
i think it should be banned, forcing the couples to do a much more appealing forward inside edge death spiral instead.:thumbsup:

swizzletwizzle

On the Ice
Do I have to put just one? For me, it would have to include the move in ice dance where the girl puts her blade to her head. That's just pointless, and it terrifies me everytime I see it. The other one is in Ladies singles, where she puts the leg straight up. It just seems tacky.

Hikaru

Final Flight
What about pair lifts, I've seen some, trying to create a different lift and the positions are quite ugly. I remember one of Savchenko/Solkowy where she sort of X-crosses her legs, it wasn't pretty at all. This season she crosses them but while keeping them extended, looks better. I appreciate their creativity, but if it looks bad, don't do it.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
who could not like russian splits? when they are well done they are a great move!

Well, I prefer a split falling leaf to a RSJ for the ladies. It just looks so elegant. Kwan's in her East of Eden program was perfection. Probably my favorite figure skating moment. There are moves that I see as more feminine and others as masculine. To me the RSJ is a masculine move even when done by the Queen of the RSJ...............Rory Flack Burghart. The SFL I see as a feminine move. Same thing with an Ina Bauer. OTOH the spread eagle seems more masculine to me.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
What's that move, it's been around a while (Lynn-Holly Johnson's character was learning to do it after she moved to the big name coach in the '70's movie _Ice Castles_) where the skater (I've only seen women do it) is gliding on one foot, bends quickly at the waist, and kind of swoops the upper body down and up, kind of in a circular motion? So that their head goes down near the gliding ankle, and back up?

I hope I'm describing it so you can tell what I mean. Anyway, I've only seen this done well when it is done very quickly and very snappilyy, which is rare.

Despite today's many unattractive contortions, that's the move I first thought of when I read the thread title!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
There are some men, though, that have beautiful "masculine" versions of the Ina Bauer, to me.

love Russian Split Jumps and Falling Leafs...

sillylionlove

Medalist
What's that move, it's been around a while (Lynn-Holly Johnson's character was learning to do it after she moved to the big name coach in the '70's movie _Ice Castles_) where the skater (I've only seen women do it) is gliding on one foot, bends quickly at the waist, and kind of swoops the upper body down and up, kind of in a circular motion? So that their head goes down near the gliding ankle, and back up?

I hope I'm describing it so you can tell what I mean. Anyway, I've only seen this done well when it is done very quickly and very snappilyy, which is rare.

Despite today's many unattractive contortions, that's the move I first thought of when I read the thread title!

I don't know what the name of the move is but her coach kept telling her to "whip it" so maybe that's the name. I have never seen anyone do that move like she did in that movie...which is one of my favorites by the way...the movie that is!!

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist

Is it an illusion (spin)? I love illusion spins when they're done well, but they're done a lot more often than done well.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Illusion.

If it's done with a full split, it's supposed to give the illusion that the upper body is pivoting around the hip joint, whereas in reality it's just leaning forward and then upright again while the leg also rotates.

Also called a windmill. Used in acrobatic dancing as well as on ice.