Pairs Free Skating - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skating - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard

qwertyskates

Medalist
Some big mistakes by both P/T and D/R, but on the whole, P/T never slowed down throughout their program and were more expressive and refined in their movements, while D/R appeared to slow and struggle through theirs at times even though they had the better transitions and amazing choreography. I would place them on par, but I enjoyed P/T's performance more, and am glad about the results. I wish both skated cleaner and better, tbh.

With this competition, OGM is probably going to V/T....but silver could still be within P/T's reach if they skate their best.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Looks like next GP in Russia will be a nail-bitter! I am excited for both pairs and ice dance competitions.

this is not a secret, since last month national competition and did you saw S/K score at SA even with mistakes ?
B/L will be Rus No.3

the push is S/K will be Rus No.1 once V/T retire

sweetskates1

Medalist
wow... I cannot keep track anymore. SA seems like it was so long ago. V/T and S/S are all I can think about. I was pleasantly surprised by P/T at CoC but really it's a dog fight for bronze and I cannot keep all the contenders straight. The Italians, The Canadians 1 and 2, The Russians, The ancient Chinese? OMG too much.

this is not a secret, since last month national competition and did you saw S/K score at SA even with mistakes ?
B/L will be Rus No.3

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
B/L will be Rus No.3

the push is S/K will be Rus No.1 once V/T retire

I'm not sure if I would call it a push but it will probably happen, if they can get a 3twist.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Haha, I think I am one of the few who like D/C.
I have seen them live. They skated clean. It was the best viewing experience watching pair because these two are so wild and fast and very enjoyable.

I make no secret my hate for B/L. Watching them just ick the hell out of me. I think of the current skaters they are the absolute worst.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Haha, I think I am one of the few who like D/C.
I have seen them live. They skated clean. It was the best viewing experience watching pair because these two are so wild and fast and very enjoyable.

I make no secret my hate for B/L. Watching them just ick the hell out of me. I think of the current skaters they are the absolute worst.

I do agree they are great to see live. They do exude a lot of power and speed.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Speaking of V/T:

https://twitter.com/Trankov_jr/statuses/401721474333286400

Maxim Trankov
‏@Trankov_jr
Congrats @JohnCoughlinUSA @CaydeeDenneyUSA you where the best tonight! Hugs from Russia!!!

See FSGMT, you're not the only ones who likes them. :)
:yay:
And, I have to say that finally the judges have marked B/L correctly in the PCS, giving them the PE and IN marks as the lowest of theirs, as they deserve

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Watching the Pairs medal ceremony. When Caydee takes her bow she tilts her head back in a supposed "regal" position I guess. But my Mom would have said "stick your nose in the air like that and you will drown in a rainstorm"

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS LONG PROGRAM - VIDEOS - (By Starting Order)

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE (ITA)
2. Annabelle PRÖLSS / Ruben BLOMMAERT (GER)
3. Natasha PURICH / Mervin TRAN (CAN)
4. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES (FRA)

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Caydee DENNEY / John COUGHLIN (USA) Free Skate
6. Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV (RUS) Free Skate
7. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD (CAN) Free Skate
8. Qing PANG / Jian TONG (CHN) Free Skate

Medal Ceremony

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

Art&Sport

Medalist
I really enjoyed D/R's sp. It was really special even with the error on SBS jumps. With their fp, D/R are really challenging themselves. It's a program chock full of difficulty and I don't like the music as much as I have their previous fps from the past two seasons. Still with fine-tuning they can surely perform this fp with more confidence hopefully. It seemed to be a struggle for them.

However, with the mistakes by Pang/Tong, I thought D/R might have pulled it out (especially since both couples had slight mistakes in their sps, P/T had so many mistakes at the beginning of their fp). Anyway, all these pairs at TEB have a lot of work to do.

Denney/ Coughlin are strong, competent and confident, but I'm not impressed with their skating. I think I would enjoy them better if they could find music that really suits their style and personalities. It seems to me that Caydee is being pressed into a mold that doesn't really fit her. She's not the style of skater that her sister is for example. Looking at D/C here, it seems to me that if Marley/ Brubaker had been able to stay together, they would have been able to surpass D/C in the U.S. Nats standings (too bad). It will take more time I think for Davis/ Brubaker to gel.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I'm not satisfied with the final results. Pang and Tong are superior pairs skaters to Duhamel and Radford but the technical has got to count for something. FS still parades itself as a sport, after all. Saying that, I do like this program for P/T and I love, love her dress.

And what is it that I don't like about Duhamel and Radford? I love their music this year and I like the choreography and the costumes. But as I was watching their FP today I felt like I wanted to see another team doing this particular program. I can't decide what team I'd want to see skating to it though. I guess I feel like D/R have to over-think and train the choreography. They haven't tricked me into thinking it comes naturally as of yet. I don't hate this team and they seem like nice people. I WANT to like them. I think they're OK. I don't know. I just keep comparing them to M-T/M and they fall short. Oh well.

I actually liked the American team. It was nice seeing a team use a happier cut of music from The Phantom of the Opera. I enjoyed the performance quite a bit.

DannyCurry

On the Ice
My impressions on the pairs LP. I was glad to sit on the judges side for once.

I was pleasantly surprised by the german pair because they did not look so good in the warm-up (missing several jumping elements). They did a good job in their actual performance for a young pair. I would have had them ahead of the Canadians.

Purich/Tran: I already mentioned their tiny throws in the SP thread..and today, what bugged me most was her position in the lifts. Was she trying to get a split position? Aesthetically unpleasant.

James & Cipres: Good comeback! Too bad for the fall on the throw 3sal

Bazarova & Larionov: I liked the throw 3 flip, and their lifts.

Denney & Coughlin: First I must say I found him quite hot in his jogging bottoms and tank top when he was warming up during the ladies practice. Then, on their generic LP, they looked solid, but nothing really stood out from their performance. Her facial expression was often OTT in my opinion.

Duhamel & Radford: I used to love this team because they pushed the envelope technically, but I'm disappointed by their programs this season. Meagan is very much like Amélie Lacoste. Her jumps aren't pretty and it's as if their legs were too short compared with the upper part of their bodies.

Pang & Tong: Disappointing performance, but I love the program. I hope that Tong can find the motivation to go on until the Olympics. I'm amazed by Pang's consistency on the sbs jumps.

DannyCurry

On the Ice
I don't think he has much choice. ;P

Well, being pushed/forced by the Chinese federation to keep competing does not equal inner motivation. When I see him skate, it seems that his body can't take it (I mean those sbs jumps) anymore :(

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
How Duhamel & Radford get such high PCS, especialy when they don't skate cleanly, is beyond any comprehension. She has the style, polish, and basic skating skills of an ostrich with one broken leg, and as a team they are poorly matched. Great to see my favorite team having a great season so far though despite all the critics who have counted them out. Definitely a contender for the bronze, if not even the silver at the Games if they can keep improving and I think they will. They are famous for being big event skaters.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Kill me if you want for saying this but: to me, D/R are just so sloppy and unpolished. World bronze medalists, really? Over M-T/M? Every jump is sloppy, the set-ups are wayyyy to long for a top team, the SS have not improved, and to me, the music is just generic dramatic movie music I've heard 100 times purposefully used to disguise a lack of artistry and get the audience into the ending

M-T/M should have won the silver at Worlds last year. I hope if they keep their current consistency the respect level from the judges will increase, especialy as they are the only team besides V&T who are doing actual clean programs right now.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Because they have the most complex programs, featuring plenty of choreographic detail.

I guess but it just shows the massive difference between 6.0 and COP. Their kind of skating would NEVER get such high scores relative to their competitors on the 2nd mark (presentation/artistic impression) as they do in COP under PCS. Not unless they skated a lights out technical performance that is.